World Cup 2022 Discussion

What a weird speech.

1 Like

Hoping Ecuador embarrasses Qatar in the opening match. Vamos Ecuador! :smiley:

5 Likes

They tried really hard, and corruptly canceled the first goal. Creating a screenshot of an offside moment that was completely irrelevant to the actual moment of the pass leaving the foot. And showing it with a straight face, thinking it will satisfy the masses. Extremely glad, that Ecuador punished them twice more, and that Qatar may go down in history as the worst team to ever ‘participate’. Media already canceled out, Spanish and Dutch television hardly able to speak about the moment, pure censure. Also the absence of replays is indicative.

4 Likes

That’s the way I saw it too, extremely disappointed with the officials over that.

Ecuador have played some nice football, they put in some great crosses in the first half but have over-complicated their attacks in the second half trying to walk the ball into the net

5 Likes

Funniest thing is, we can’t even be surprised.

If the Netherlands is serious, and want to aim for a record win against Qatar, it’s possible

1 Like

We’re glad to have obliged, twice over. Embarrassed them on the field and by revealing how even the referees were going out of their way to let Qatar win.

People on Twitter keep saying “it’s the second to last player that marks offside since the keeper is out, that’s why it’s the right call”…but regardless, you have to call offsides when the ball is played, not when it’s received. And the supposedly offside player has like 4 players in front of him when the ball is played… If the application of the rule today was correct, any team could just wait until the pass is played and have your whole team run towards the midfield line and no one could ever score a goal from a free kick…just utter nonsense.

The VAR ref should not referee another FIFA match for the rest of his days. But we all know that won’t happen, don’t we?

Vamos Ecuador! :ecuador:

3 Likes

A little worse for the wear after waking bright and early for a below-freezing 5k with my daughter. But nothing stops us from cheering on our Tricolor!

:ecuador: :ecuador: :ecuador: :ecuador:

6 Likes

The VAR suite after the game.

5 Likes

steps on my soapbox

Personally, I abhor political statements from athletes. It has ruined American Football by becoming too political. Athletes should play ball and not alienate fans. However, once you have made a statement, you need to stick with it. There will be consequences. If you felt so strongly about that cause to speak up, deal with the repercussions. These teams were appeasing the the LBGTQ crowd, but only so much. You either believe in the cause or you don’t.

Be less like LeBron James who is all for social justice unless it involves China and more like Pat Tillman who at the height of his NFL career joined the military because he believed in the cause that much or take the third option and shut your mouth.

steps off my soapbox

2 Likes

US blew my bracket with a stupid mistake. Winning and they give up a pen. Grrr.

Wales more than merited that point with a good second half performance.

Group really is wide open as you’d expect both Wales and the US to beat Iran, so could come down to goal difference this if you say England will win their games.

3 Likes

The Netherlands also got the long end of the stick, Senegal deserved more and probably as a team played better. But in the end it’s these small things, or mistakes, class difference in crucial moments.
As Aduk said that poule is still wide open indeed.

England has a really nice squad going. Around Kane with a quality dynamic midfield and great wingers. Old England would have won this 1-0 by a free kick from Lampard or something. This England, is different which is good to see, quick, brave and more creative and good infront of goal. I would be worried for their backline but that will become problematic later in the tournament.

2 Likes

Team USA played in a quite interesting way. Although the game was based a lot on Pulisic (rightfully so), the team had a lot of energy and passion from the beginning - it was a very different USA NT from what we’re used to see in the previous WC’s, or at least for me.

It will be a tough battle between them and Wales for passing the group stage - it will all come down to what they do vs. England.

2 Likes

Hoping McKinnie and Musah aren’t hurt too bad. Really the only key to this team imo. What a dumb penalty we gave up. Ugg

Who else is watching Argentina with me?!

Yup :+1:

2 Likes

Argentina getting caught off side every attack, the Saudis look very well organised.in defence. Interesting game to watch.

3 Likes

9 of the Saudi starting 11 come from the same club Al hilal.
Basically Argentina vs Al Hilal.

3 Likes

Impressive, all from one team will help the unity, but they worked incredibly hard. Argentina after all the offside goals, let themselves get caught off guard. First big upset, beautiful.

1 Like

Cracking game of football. That’s the way to do it, rank outsider beats third favourite and maybe our boys will be home earlier than expected.

Argentina were too one dimensional, all over the place, Di Maria wasted stuck to the wing in this team. Saudi were physically very strong and fit, played some decent football.

So far the world cup has been good to watch.

1 Like