World Cup 2022 Discussion

My guess is that every player in their hearts cares about the WC / their country more than the team that pays them. It’s just when they vocalize it (Papu) when it creates drama, because fans obviously want the most effort from their players at all times.

2 Likes

I think it is especially highlighted because we are in relegation zone right now and had the crappiest transfer window in a long time. People are frustrated and have serious concerns about this team. When players have their eyes looking elsewhere, it just ads to the list of issues. I agree with you 100% about nearly all players wanting to perform well on the international stage. The eyes of the world are on these games, not just a country or two watching the league games. It is completely understandable for a player to not want to get injured right before the high competition, but things like that can remain unspoken, especially when your team (who pays your salary BTW) has in one year gone from a Champions League spot to relegation zone at the break. Not a good look.

Anyone else see yesterdays Game for Peace, tribute to Diego Maradonna? With Ronaldinho, Stoichkov, Beto, Rakitic and Perotti?

The press piled in on Acuña, one headline was ‘Miraculous recovery by Acuña’ because he started a friendly for Argentina. They’re trying to paint him as a traitor but he only played first half, still suffering from the same Pubalgia that restricted him to 50 minutes with Sevilla. The press are a heap of steaming :poop:.

2 Likes

Let’s see if Pubalgia gets cured once WC starts.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TFT_Morocco/status/1593277393187348482?s=20&t=b4Ca95cuNF-NmNPtjjB-NQ - En Nesyri goal in the friendly.

1 Like

Don’t forget this one from the same match!

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35047632

Made me feel bad for poor Mamardashvili, if I’m remembering his name correctly.

Funny enough, a match between two countries I’ve grown to love over the years, Morocco and Georgia!

Glad to see Morocco get a win in the prep for the World Cup.

3 Likes

:joy: :smiley:

Screenshot 2022-11-18 113420

Man…Qatar probably planned this all along. InBev is going to lose a lot of money on this. They already shipped supplies to Qatar expecting sales and for Qatar to change their mind 3 days before the start of the tournament is really crappy.

On a side note…I deployed to Qatar for a year…I hated the place. I went into Doha a few times and could not stand the city or the locals. They (Qataris) treat the TCNs workers (third country nationals) usually Bangladeshis, Pakistanis or Filipinos, like they are below dirt. My family wanted to get tickets and fly there for the WC…I refused. I will not set foot there again.

FIFA is a corrupt organization, but hitting them in the pocketbook makes them take notice.

4 Likes

The officials in Qatar repeatedly said that alcohol would be allowed in the stadiums. Makes one wonder what other things they said will also be walked back.

1 Like

There are rumours that already 8 Ecuadorian players have been approached for matchfixing, for about 7 million dollars. It really is no surprise at all, this tournament is just one bunch of corruption and violation of sports and humanity, the least excited I have been ever. Not saying all the others before hand were angelic events but god damn Fifa really trying to find out how far they can milk it. That beer ban is another thing really logical, but the way they (the Qatari) play it is disgusting.

2 Likes

They’re going to serve alcohol in the vip zones for the elites only. The biggest piss-up is the organization.

2 Likes

Whats are your thoughts on the chances of the States this group? They had some really mixed results in the lead up to the tournament. To me they could surprise and take second place, or even first if things go crazy. But Wales really isn’t that impressive, but as a country their decency and more experience against better teams, makes them automatically a tough nut to crack. But talent wise, USA is ahead of the two others, so I hope this translates onto the pitch. Always a question, some show up, some do not. How are you guys feeling?

It’s interesting. As an American, I’m conditioned to not get my hopes up with our men’s team. That being said, I’m feeling optimistic. This is a completely different team than we’ve ever seen at this level, and it’s also the first time that every one of our core players has been healthy at the same time.

2 Likes

We have a good group, a very young group. Will they rise to the occasion is the mystery. Talent is there. The coaching isn’t the best though. I don’t have much faith in the manager.

2 Likes

Watching the USMNT is the complete opposite than watching Sevilla. They’re all so young and so fast :joy:

Normally that’s problematic. Then a decent organized team that’s worse in quality will find a way to win the game. Costa Rica for example are always defending, and holding on but manage to play for some goal and take it home.

It’s always similar to African teams, good physiques, players in high competitions high levels, and individual quality, but non complementary put all of them together in one team, they hardly function well, combine that with lesser management, preparation, never the best recipe. Occasionally a rare exception like Cameroon or Ghana surprised in the past. But watching the Africa Cup is literally the epitome of this (inspite of the horrible pitches, it’s a demonstration of this wild, uncut football, little finesse and terrible chance creation. All of which you really need in organized tournament play. It doesn’t feel like the gap between them and the rest is decreasing. Hope i’m wrong, but i’m struggling to predict them good results.

1 Like

Yeah, with the exception of maybe Morocco and Senegal, not super optimistic about the African teams. Senegal without Mané will be unlikely to prosper, and Moroccans I’ve spoken to don’t seem confident either.

I just read up on the Ecuador rumors, as it was all over the Ecuadorian press, but I honestly think it’s probably just bluster and politics. I just don’t think a bunch of “unnamed insiders” is a credible allegation. I hope it’s not true, but certainly don’t doubt that it could be or that Qatar wouldn’t be willing to stoop to that level to give their country some pride out of the whole thing. Who knows…

Anyhow, try to ignore the bluster and enjoy the beautiful game this coming month. It really is the greatest sporting event in the world. With or without beer. But much better with beer, let’s be honest.

2 Likes

Agree totally, it could backfire on them too. I can imagine some serious situations arising.

2 Likes

Well their pesident Infantino just declared in a very well thought out mature speech, to call all other countries hypocrites. Also trying to act like he’s standing up for minorities, disabled or gays. And wildly pointing fingers to times back 3000 years. Real good spokesman.

Something like.
“We are f*cked up, but a lot of things are, so go look at those other things you bunch of hypocrites”

1 Like