Winter 2023 Transfer Thread

Pape Gueye also made official. Bryan is taking the #25, meaning all roster spots are taken. It was rumoured he’d occupy a spot as an academy player, but i guess this means the market is closed for us.

There are also rumours about Dodi Lukebakio (H. Berlin), but i don’t see how it happens unless someone else leaves, like either Januzaj or En-Nesyri.

5 Likes

Got to have a signing day photo surely. It’s tradition!!!

4 Likes

So squad as it stands…

1. Marko Dmitrovic (GK)
  2. Gonzalo Montiel
  3. Alex Telles
  4. Karim Rekik
  5. Lucas Ocampos
  6. Nemanja Gudelj
  7. Suso
  8. Joan Jordan
  9. Jesus Corona
  10. Ivan Rakitic
  11. Adnan Januzaj :unamused::unamused::unamused: - “Please f*** off!”
  12. Rafa Mir
  13. Bono (GK)
  14. Tanguy Nianzou
  15. Yousseff En-Nesyri
  16. Jesus Navas
  17. Erik Lamela
  18. Pape Gueye
  19. Marcos Acuña
  20. Fernando Reges
  21. Óliver Torres
  22. Loïc Bade
  23. Marcão
  24. Papu Gomez
  25. Bryan Gil

I’d actually rather have Idrissi or Rony Lopes in the squad than Janzuaj! If Gattoni ends up signing we end up with the rather odd choice of a Centre Back at Number 11. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

He’s aewsome in eFootball, I would love him!

1 Like

Why are the loaning to replace a player that never plays?

1 Like

Excellent day of transfers for us even if they are loans. The board can only do what it can with limited funds and a need to try and reduce the wage bill and I don’t think it’s done a bad job. Gill and Gueye sign and adding in Ocampos and Bade, so it’s not turning out to be a bad January for us. Good to see younger players coming in and older ones and dead wood making their way. It’s a start for our rebuilding process and should add more quality in all areas to improve us.

At least Sampaoli is bringing in a few of his own signings. I suspect that may be it for us this January unless they can offload Januzaj to make way for someone else (we can hope). I would say we’re still short in defence and in the forward positions but it’s a lot better than it was. Focus is on getting through this season and then stepping it up in the summer for hopefully a better campaign.

Very pleased!

7 Likes

Isn’t that the club Isco is going to? We coulda kept him and made bank on that, :joy:

1 Like

Anyone help me with a pronunciation key? Whether French or English, doesn’t quite roll off the tongue. In Spanish, perhaps they’ll pronounce it phonetically like güelle? (Ie. Way-yay, which is I hope how he’ll make us feel when we see him play: not just a little yay, but WAY-YAY!). Though I guess my question isn’t how the sevillano announcers will hack it, but how it’s supposed to be pronounced according to the player … Maybe a YouTube archaeologist can help solve this mystery?

Edit: forgot to include the pronunciation possibility that we’ll be dreaming of cosas chingonas, no manches Gueye!

soccer no GIF

Amazon Studios Fish GIF by Prime Video Comedy

3 Likes

Not an expert but I think it’s pronounced gay.

3 Likes

In his announcement video he says his full name like “PAP-GAY”. I’m sure in Senegal they say his last name as “GAY-YAY”, but growing up in France he prolly just rolls with the French way of saying it. Just think of Marvin Gaye.

3 Likes

Decent day of transfers, almost clearing up the disaster that was the summer window (bar Januzaj) and getting younger with reinforcements who could do anything but worse than the current crop.

Agreed with not making major commitments until the season is out. Who knows where the club will end up. If they screw it royally the less players on the payroll the better. If they end up in a decent spot then it’s a good position to start anew. I just hope Januzaj, Jordan and Suso can be offloaded in the summer window, along with Idrissi and Augustinsson.

5 Likes

Pretty much this.

It’s the advice he gets from his circle that is dubious, but also he has not fitted well in Mourinho’s system and has not been handled well at Roma - partly his fault, partly the club’s and Mourinho’s dismissive treatment of him.

1 Like
2 Likes

I hope you’re happy @ChrisLail

2 Likes

and Lopes?

2 Likes

Kike Salas has extended his contract until 2026 and has left on loan to Tenerife.

7 Likes

i like that… get the young guy some playing time while locking him in.

4 Likes

So we’re calling it quits for this window?

4 Likes

It looks like it. Monchi doesn’t normally do business on deadline day.

4 Likes