Summer 2022 Transfers Conversation

Apparently Monchi is already a bit of the Moneyball of fútbol, as I understand it, at least in terms of recruiting undervalued talent, but I think my hope is that the data on tactics, player styles, etc could continue to really evolve the game beyond recruiting

Various Spanish sports papers reporting that West Ham are sniffing out the availability of Bono for the next TW

1 Like

even Billy Bean could only take the A’s to the playoffs… but could never the league. always got beat by the big money teams. so the moneyball analogy works (unfortunately) well… great at finding undervalued guys, but not necessarily putting together a roster able to win a major trophy.

apologies for exposing the unconsenting to an american baseball tangent.

3 Likes

Not that far off actually:

Soccer[edit]
When the Athletics ownership group agreed to purchase the reincarnation of the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer, Beane, who has expressed a passion for soccer, began developing a system for objectively analyzing soccer players. He has agreed to help the Earthquakes front office develop a method for building a cost-effective team, as the salary cap in MLS is even more restrictive than the Athletics status as a small-market team in Major League Baseball.[45] However, a system has yet to be implemented.
Beane has regarded Arsenal’s former manager Arsène Wenger as a personal idol. Beane has held discussions with Wenger, former Manchester United F.C. manager Sir Alex Ferguson, and Liverpool F.C. owner John W. Henry.[46] His friendship with ex-Arsenal scout Damien Comolli and Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke allowed him to delve deep into the world of English soccer.[47]
In March 2015, the Dutch soccer club AZ Alkmaar, under general director Robert Eenhoorn, a former major leaguer, hired Beane as an advisor.[48] On December 19, 2017, Beane became part of a consortium led by Chien Lee to purchase Barnsley Football Club, which plays in the EFL League One, the third tier of the English football league system. [49][50]

3 Likes

Chelsea so lost, they are looking to bring in Monchi.

Marcao absent from training again this week. No explanation given. :dizzy_face:

If it makes us feel any better, both Koundé and Diego Carlos are injured and not playing right now, so I suppose we might not have been any better off if we hadn’t sold them at the moment…? And 80 million € poorer…

1 Like

The bitch. He came out last week doing readaptation exercises and now he’s disappeared again?

Even worse than Guarente. At least with him we knew that he won’t be able to train or play for 6-8 months due to the knee surgery and those issues that he had.

2 Likes

ugg @Brian with the bummer news today.

Well that settles it then. The club are happy to see out a season on three fronts with the elite contigent of centre backs in Karim “Born Ready” Rekik, Tanguy “Young Blood” Nianzou and “Permacrock” Marcao backed up by cult hero Gudelj and two cantera. They’re so good that a free agent Denayer wasn’t deemed good enough.

Then again the fact he chose to skip Europe and head straight to UAE in spite of Premier League interest shows his ambition or rather lack of it.

I looked through the free agent list and some interesting names are still on there: Musacchio, Ilicic, Mangala, Kolodziejczak, Maksimovic and Gnangnon (still?). Some can do a job here but at almost 2 months into the season the earliest you can see any free agent in action would be after the world cup as they need to build up their fitness.

1 Like

I don’t see a good player with match fitness here. Our team is settled until the winter transfer market.

1 Like

Ocampos getting his first start last weekend, against a bottom tier team. After just getting few minutes at the end of some of the games before, he seems a standard 80’ minute substitute.

Not making any impression at all. The worry of board of directors who blocked the full 20m transfer is only fair. Ofcourse its still early but the trend is set. Maybe can prove some value soon, but Ajax fans are already prefering a 19 year old Portuguese winger who’s just joining is telling. But in general, this is sad. 20m would have been a godsent scenario that would have given us more room to work with.

Lucas Moura, next up on the rumour list. Great Player 8 years ago. I’m kinda over revamping all these downward spiralling ex talents. Having 2 of those would have been more than enough, not 20.

1 Like

Because of the system, Eric Lamela is also turning into a mix of Ocampos and Suso.

After the conversation with the Ajax podcasters, it was more the loan vs own thing. The 19 year old isn’t ready according to them, but that is why the board only wanted a loan of Ocampos…doesn’t really fit the Ajax strategy to buy an almost 30 year old.

They earned about 150m. Making them able to do something outside of the normal Ajax strategy and go for a seasoned ‘high’ level European football ‘star’ for once because the option arose. To explore options to grow, further, internationally and on CL level. But they realized on time, Ocampos is not the one worth it. I’m just saying they now already prefer watching the youngster, just adds to it. If they got a top winger for 5 solid years, like Tadic out of it, who would be carrying them for the last years, ofcourse owning him would be worth it. Exactly as Tadic, at the time a 28 year old just like Ocampos. Very similar case, which at the time they paid 12m for. And was 1000% worth it.

Delaney and Rafa Mir the names suggested to be on the way out this january. If he wants to import Gabigol or any other non EU player, the 3 player rule again comes back to block it. Since Montiel, Acuna and Marcao are already there. Which I hope none of them will be sold. First we need to work with what we have, but some refreshment and adding some dynamic Sampaoli style players are wished for.

Rafa Mir can score bloody goals ffs.

1 Like

Factually true, but statistically/probabilistically questionable.
Rafa Mir needs to be sold.

Cristiano?

1 Like