Summer 2022 Transfers Conversation

Apparently Monchi is already a bit of the Moneyball of fútbol, as I understand it, at least in terms of recruiting undervalued talent, but I think my hope is that the data on tactics, player styles, etc could continue to really evolve the game beyond recruiting

Various Spanish sports papers reporting that West Ham are sniffing out the availability of Bono for the next TW

1 Like

even Billy Bean could only take the A’s to the playoffs… but could never the league. always got beat by the big money teams. so the moneyball analogy works (unfortunately) well… great at finding undervalued guys, but not necessarily putting together a roster able to win a major trophy.

apologies for exposing the unconsenting to an american baseball tangent.

3 Likes

Not that far off actually:

Soccer[edit]
When the Athletics ownership group agreed to purchase the reincarnation of the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer, Beane, who has expressed a passion for soccer, began developing a system for objectively analyzing soccer players. He has agreed to help the Earthquakes front office develop a method for building a cost-effective team, as the salary cap in MLS is even more restrictive than the Athletics status as a small-market team in Major League Baseball.[45] However, a system has yet to be implemented.
Beane has regarded Arsenal’s former manager Arsène Wenger as a personal idol. Beane has held discussions with Wenger, former Manchester United F.C. manager Sir Alex Ferguson, and Liverpool F.C. owner John W. Henry.[46] His friendship with ex-Arsenal scout Damien Comolli and Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke allowed him to delve deep into the world of English soccer.[47]
In March 2015, the Dutch soccer club AZ Alkmaar, under general director Robert Eenhoorn, a former major leaguer, hired Beane as an advisor.[48] On December 19, 2017, Beane became part of a consortium led by Chien Lee to purchase Barnsley Football Club, which plays in the EFL League One, the third tier of the English football league system. [49][50]

3 Likes

Chelsea so lost, they are looking to bring in Monchi.