Summer 2022 Transfers Conversation

I think Lope’s outcry for a ‘better squad’ came because he sensed that he wouldn’t be able to fight for top 4 with the current squad, rightfully so.

Now I don’t really know if going for option B’s and C’s rather than first options (Kehrer, Reguilon etc.) is the translation for a better squad, but let’s see.

3 Likes

I don’t think Reguilón is so much better than Telles like you think. Telles was just in Brazil’s last squad while Reguilón is third choice left back for Tottenham and couldn’t start over Ryan Sessegnon last season.

2 Likes

Reguilon was one of the key players that helped us win the EL.

He is a bigger threat to the starter spot than Telles for Acuna. Acuna is incomparable to Telles and only a serious drop of form (even that is doubtful) or an injury/suspension will prevent him from starting, while with Reguilon it would be a bit closer.

Reguilon knows La Liga well and especially Lope’s tactics, he would easily re-adapt here. I highly doubt that Telles will bring anything close to what Reguilon did in 2019-20 - so let’s see.

2 Likes

It is reported that we have reached an agreement with Victor Nelsson (not Galatasaray).

I think this is a desperate attempt to try and make things work in the CB department. Most likely what happened is Lope adamantly asked for CB’s that can understand each other and play well together. What our management might not understand is that Galatasaray and specifically the Turkish league is not what it was before, in fact, it is totally different - for the worse.

Back then teams like Galatasaray, Fenerbahce and Besiktas were doing very well in Europe and a they were attracting lots of decent players, above average, to play for them and seriously compete. I’m talking about at least 10+ years before. Gradually the league’s quality has deteriorated - now it attracts low quality footballers and their clubs are from from competitive in Europe.

Galatasaray in particular has done generally well last season as they were eliminated from Barca in the round of 16 in the EL. However, their league performance (in an already weaker league) was terrible. They finished 13th with 14 wins, 10 draws and 14 losses. They scored 51 goals and conceded 53 - 9th ranked defense in the league from goals conceded. This tells a lot.

Also what tells a lot is that Marcao, arguably their best player that we have signed, has lacked in fitness and has literally not played in ANY pre-season match so far. He is doubtful for the Cadiz match too and that will probably be the first time a direct replacement for a key CB (Diego Carlos) that doesn’t feature at all in pre-season and is doubtful to start the season.

Our club first mentioned lack of fitness and not being ready to play, then a slight injury… then what not, but the prognosis is not good already.

Now imagine, we are about to sign his weaker colleague (Marcao was already their best CB), only to satisfy the ‘chemistry’ needs, thus neglecting all the facts that I mentioned above.

This is beyond crazy at this point. Now, it is football and anything can happen… it might work along the way, but I still think we will suffer at the back this season. Granted, I didn’t expect much from Lope even with a full decent squad as I mentioned lots of times before. However, to sell his best CB’s and to provide 2 totally unproven CB’s in La Liga as replacement, from a league that has inferior fitness levels and training system like the Turkish league and from a club that did disastrously even in their own standard in their league… I really don’t know what to say anymore.

1 Like

Yes you do: In Monchi We Trust.

6 Likes

This exactly. I trust monchi and still believe we will do well this season. We had to move on from Carlos and Kounde as they wanted moves and had clubs after them.

We still have a good squad and I expect monchi to bolster it in the positions we need. We may have to wait till end of August and further into season for new signings to help but I believe he will get them.

1 Like

Player for player I agree that we right now seem to have downgraded. I rate Telles higher than Augustinsson, but Kounde and DC (at this moment) do not seem to have been properly replaced.

Another overlooked signing is the medical staff though. Could we just cut the amount of injuries in half compared to last season, that would be a huge improvement. So yeah, it seems we need a few holes patched up, but it also seems Monchi is well on the case.

Hopes are high for the season, but I also hope we don’t der performances like the ones against Arsenal and Leicester.

5 Likes

I’ve kind of avoided this thread as much as possibe. Seems like for the best. :rofl:

2 Likes

I agree with your assessment. We all knew that Kounde and Carlos were leaving soon so their departure is now surprise. Marcao should be a very serviceable replacement. That’s fine. No one expected us to get better at CB this summer.

The only other swap we have is at LB, and it’s probably an improvement.

So, we haven’t gotten much worse, and the regression is at a position we all knew was bound to happen any way. Our other signing is an improvement.

3 Likes

How?

Marcao - Nelsson >>> Kounde - DC ?

Also the new LB was loaned as a sub replacement, not a starter, and temporarily.

1 Like

Pretty sure you should have put <<< not >>>

3 Likes

Yeah but Steve is saying we haven’t got much worse… if that is not much worse I don’t know what is. But let’s give him the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe Marcao (who hasn’t played a single pre-season game and is still not match-fit) and Nelsson (his weaker CB partner) are going to perform better or similar to Kounde and DC.

You never know in football, as they say, the ball is round :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m saying we haven’t gotten worse outside of CB, and we all knew that we would regress at that position. There was no reasonable way to expect us to get better there after selling Kounde and Carlos.

So, if we set that aside and look at the other positions, we’re largely the same team as last year. Telles is an upgrade, and we’ll see what happens with the midfield between now and when the window closes.

3 Likes

Did you know how good DC was when he was at Nantes? And we all saw Kounde struggle those early days, especially at Eibar. A ball hasn’t been kicked yet, so we can’t write off those guys already.

Marcao was part of UEL’s best XI, and together with Nelsson was the only good thing about that team. From what i’ve read, Gala’s defensive failures were happening in front of the CBs. Besides, our main man Fernando should be a reminder never to doubt Monchi doing business in Turkey.

5 Likes

There’s still a chance to sign Kehrer and balance things out a bit.

3 Likes

A very good point made. At the start Carlos and Kounde were unknowns and both very raw. They had potential but made a few mistakes early doors. I remember Kounde’s shocker when he came on against Eibar. We were 0-2 up and lost 3-2 and we thought who have we signed here? Then he got better and better over time.

Yep it will take time but I have faith in Monchi and I have high hopes on marcao and telles. Once they settle they will be good and Monchi has said he’s got more business to attend yet.

I am actually happy we moved on from Kounde and Carlos when we did. They been great for us but they obviously wanted out and no longer motivated to play for us. When that happens you cash in and get decent money for them.

I still think we will be fine and with Monchi we can rest easy. He’s the master of the rebuild and replacing players with new gems.

I’m getting excited for new season. Let’s go!

2 Likes

All I know is the difference between Ligue 1 and Turkish Süper Lig is like day and night. Fernando was an exception and mostly because the highlight of his career was not Galatasary (like Marcao’s and Nelsson’s), he played high level football in Porto and Man City before that + had lots of experience in that role.

I only judge based on facts that are served. I cannot say that a player will excel at the club when he hasn’t played 1 single game in pre-season and who knows when he’ll be match fit to play regularly. If things change in the meantime, my opinion changes too. As I said, he has done very well in Galatasaray and was one of their best players, but what I’m worried about is the league level and especially their last season performance in the league. Their EL performance gives me a bit of hope but still… it’s a huge gamble.

Now with Nelsson, I mentioned some of the reasons above. If we get Nelsson + Kehrer (still a possibility), then that’s a whole different thing. But only Nelsson will not cut it in this very demanding season ahead including a WC in between.

Let’s wait and see.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Sounds like Guedes is on his way out of Valencia. Are we still holding out hope for him, or has that ship sailed? It’s been a while since I’ve seen his name pop up. :man_shrugging:

Can’t see us forking over that kind of money.