Opinions on Sampaoli's SevillaFC

If we can return to our old selves with a Fortress Nervion that doesn’t lose at home (except against the two superpowers) then we’re flying. I think we’re on that road despite the injury wrecked squad. We can also pick up enough points away that will get us to close to top 6 zone but we have to be realistic, another run of unfortunate injuries will mean we finish bottom half because we don’t have quality in depth.

7 Likes

(From the Sevilla Rayo thread)

Yes indeed, we had to provide a lot of cover for the central defenders and will have to for a few more weeks. Darned injuries held us back.

But the difference back with ‘previous’ manager was that by the time we had constructed an attack the opposition would have 10 or 11 players behind the ball. Now we are releasing the ball quicker with more variety and it creates more space making it easier to score.
The difference with Ocampos 2.0 stands out and even Suso has improved.

In the PSV game Papa put Nesyri through with a long ball for the first. Ocampos found acres of space for the second and invented space for Gudelj in the third goal.

7 Likes

How do people feel about Sampaoli long term? I was thinking when I woke up this morning, there are signs of improvement on both ends of the pitch for sure. I’m just not sure if Sampaoli is the answer longer term than maybe until the end of the season, and I have a feeling Monchi and the board probably don’t either.

Of course I could be having a mental moment, I just get the feeling that come the Summer we may be looking at a more longer term option. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I think Sampaoli will stay on provided they don’t fall out over money.

1 Like

I think he deserves a full season with pre-season, transfer planning and all that - regardless of what happens this season (except for relegation :stuck_out_tongue: ). I feel that he could catapult us to the 4th next season if the summer cards are played right.

7 Likes

I think Sampaoli deserves a full season next year to really stamp his style on the team in pre-season.

I honestly don’t see why he can’t get us challenging for top 4 again if we get it right over the summer.

5 Likes

How can you look at Sampaoli long-term? He’s only managed to stay longer than 2 seasons once in his managerial career; that was with the Chilean National team.

3 Likes

Sampaoli reminds me of the Tasmanian Devil. He’s 62, but he covers the touch line like someone half his age. I think his duration in the job is more constrained by how long it takes him to fall out with the board, rather than a loss of passion.

I think he should be given another year or two, providing he wants to continue. Within that time, Monchi should be looking at bringing in Gallardo or another coach to succeed him before it all goes to pot.

8 Likes

This

3 Likes

He could be our Simeone… we definitely need a long term coach that takes all competitions seriously and instills a great winning mentality.

I don’t see Sampaoli to be the one, but if he’s changed his old ways (always doubtful, Chris provided the stats)… you never know!

3 Likes

Because that’s what I want and so I’m imagining a rosy future that might not exist but I get the feeling this is where he wants to be and it might be his last gig.

Interesting name, and he’ll be out of At Mad soon. He’ll have a rest first though and maybe another hair transplant then on to Sevilla. Koke will be the next At Mad manager guaranteed.

I think the board saw Sampaoli as temporary and one who could turn the ship around and re-ignite the spark. How long is his contract…?

I definitely think we should go a long way before terminating his contract and replace him if it means it will cost us money. We know he is a coach capable of getting results, so the manager-position shouldn’t be a priority for changing at this point. Keep him for as long as the contract says and at least for next season. If it works out great then consider a renewal. If not, go for a long-term manager and build his team.

2 Likes

Contracted until Jun 30, 2024

2 Likes

Todofichajes claim that both Sevilla and Sampaoli are in agreement that he will leave at the end of the season. With little money to invest in the squad in the summer, Sampaoli does not want to carry on.

Sevilla are evaluating candidates, and unemployed Marcelino Garcia Toral has been mentioned as another potential returning manager for next season.

2 Likes

The trouble is, how do we get money. We seem to be in a bit of a hole at the moment.

Hopefully not true. Sampaoli deserves at least a full season with a proper squad planning in the summer.

4 Likes

The trouble is @ShendM is there seems to be no money, and Sampaoli himself doesn’t want to stick around if that’s the case.

Sell Bono and YEN.

2 Likes

I said before that I can’t see him going unless they fall out over money, so it fits but I doubt it’s anything more than a rumour.

3 Likes