Opinions on José Luis Mendilibar's Sevilla FC

Well yes unless we somehow get 7th then only 7 teams.

8 Likes

After the debacle away at athletico madrid i honestly thought this club was finished - well for a while anyway. The transformation has been incredibly all down to Mendi. Yes, give him another year rolling and look out for the type of Young manager to hopefully build a long term project with.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1664398671914450944?s=46&t=MGZQ4XnfdTHq0s4iat9AAA

If Fabrizio is reporting it, that’s good news!

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/SevillaFC/status/1664417794379726849?t=DK9DO2GHphcNPnq7oyj3Nw&s=19

I mean…

4 Likes

Good good.

2 Likes

Great news.

Let’s hope Bade, Gueye and Gill can all be signed on and we really have a good basis to push on next season.

5 Likes

Nice to know Mendi is probably signed, he’s got a calming effect on the players and can motivate them. Only thing I noticed, which will not be popular, is his style tends towards crossing into the box, we crossed 15 more times than Roma and when YEN is sandwiched by the likes of Smalling, Ibanez and Mancini it’s pretty ineffective; second route is to have the wingers and fullbacks create havoc and find ways into the box, this is much better. Hope he can come up with some adjustments in the offseason, or just sign a bunch of bullies and continue route-one football.

7 Likes

Need a nice second striker type that can sit behind and bang in the deflected crosses. Basically, more speed there to get to the box quicker, I think will go a long way.

4 Likes

I do think the return of Tecatito next season will give us some different options up front in terms of attacking style. Hopefully we don’t try to sell Ocampos this summer. Papu will likely be gone, as will Acuña. But with Lamela, Tecatito, YEN up front, maybe even Bryan Gil. That looks like some pretty lethal combinations up front. And hopefully less reliance on Jesus Navas and Suso with the long balls and the long (feckless) shots, respectively

5 Likes

I think that says more about En-Nesyri and the contributing party. YEN straight up has no hold up play, so you automatically miss out on any combinations thru the middle. They’re even reluctant to play him the through-ball cause they assume the chance will be gone by the time the ball gets to him. Our wings are mostly fine. We need to address the attacking mid & centre fwd positions if we’re to change the dynamic in attack at all.

7 Likes

Mendi deserves a deal!

3 Likes

Rumored that he turned down the first deal offered.

1 Like

Hopefully the management is being serious and offers Mendi the contract that he deserves (in terms of $). We can’t treat him as a very low cost option after what has been achieved… it’s not the same situation as when he was first appointed here. The offers for him from other clubs are surely piling up.

The management is most likely trying to use the recent momentum and euphoria to try and low ball him… but it might not work.

We need Mendi for at least another season here, at all costs!

4 Likes

That would be really dissapointing honestly, even Castro bragging about it during the celebrations euphorically like we offered the man a new contract. If it’s not a very upgraded on it’s just sad.

I loved how neutral Mendi was at the press conference for if or if not he would continued basically saying the job on hand, is what he did. Save the season of whats left of it in 3 months. That’s what he did (In a fucking spectacular way) but that’s the job done. If they manage to solve it and continue on a new contract, brilliant. If they can not, either way brilliant and thanks for everything.

But he 100% deserves it that doesn’t mean it’s the direction the board is looking for, which I can understand.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/Bergareche14/status/1665266327404126208?s=20

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1665266327404126208

Pragmatic fella…

5 Likes

this is awesome. he got his wish. he won a cup :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hopefully many more to come!

4 Likes

Think YEN can be that one with a bruiser up top?

Hopefully, him and Ocampos are accomplished one-on-one beaters and can create their own magic. Navas and Suso can create overloads on the right hand channel with Suso cutting in for his complimentary far corner shot. That’s been the main gameplan since Lope assembled this squad, would like a shakeup but can’ really think anyone who can do that.

More about not playing to YEN’s strengths, but to be fair YEN himself is a bit of an enigma, he has some pace and heading ability but no physical presence. Somehow Lope and Sampaoli managed to get something out of him. I think through balls will suit him nicely so the question is do they continue with a 433 with only wingers supporting him or have a dedicated attacking mid to help string attacks in the centre. Mind the current crop aren’t up to scratch or can’t contribute on a consistent basis.

3 Likes

Renewed!!! 1 year!

7 Likes