Opinions on José Luis Mendilibar's Sevilla FC

Draws in the last two games leave us in a difficult position for European qualification. It’s now mathematically impossible for us to climb into the Europa League spots (or finish higher that :poop:), and we’re a point out of 7th, but Athletic Club has a game in hand.

It looks like our best bet for European qualification is beating Roma next week. #VamosMiSevilla

2 Likes

No offense for bumping this, but as an Eibar shareholder just had to haha. Aupa Monchi!!

Fun thread to comb through. Outrageous turn of events. Would be legendary to see him end Mourinho’s streak of European Cup Finals while extending Sevilla’s flawless Europa Final streak to 7

5 Likes

Personally I’d keep him even if we fail to get top 7 and lose in the EL final.

Steering us to comfortable safety and reaching a final is still a major achievement in the predicament we were in.

1 Like

Another good one to bump

1 Like

And another.

Has Gallardo announced/hinted at any moves for the end of his season?

Hasn’t, but is on the list of some teams like PSG and Club America.

Anyone knows the answer, though?

Jesus beat me to it.

YES! YES! and YES!

I don’t care about the next up and coming manager from elsewhere in La Liga. It doesn’t always translate at a team with bigger expectations. We found a manager that was able to instill a style, and also encourage players to bring out their best.

Give Mendi some players willing to work hard and they will perform.

#Mendilibar2024

10 Likes

GOAT

1 Like

Man’s had 6 games in Europe and won the EL. What was his salary €600K? He’s taken a team in a tail spin and got them flying again. After this season Sevilla need to keep hold of Mendilibar.

6 Likes

I’d give Mendi a year. It’s hard as Iraola is an up and coming manager, but Mendi has done what we brought him in for, and much much more. It would be way too harsh to fuck him off now.

4 Likes

Credit to Lope for what? Failing badly enough to get Sevilla to 3rd place? When he left Sevilla were bottom of the group having conceded four goals at RSP to Man City and Dortmund respectively sandwiched with a draw to Copenhagen. Sampaoli drew away to Dortmund and won at home against Copenhagen before losing away to Man City.

Mendi has earned the right to take the reins for at least a full season, something akin to a 1+1 as Shend mentioned, a long-term commitment is not ideal as 1) Mendi is 62 and 2) the last time we gave a long term contract to a EL winner led to 3.5 seasons of lope-ball.

It could also give more time to observe future candidates, can Iraola go onwards and upwards? Can Gallardo perform at a different club from River? Can Diego Martinez find a new team and rebuild his reputation? There’s also a host of new managers who have done wonders this season, Arne Slot of Feyernoord and Franck Haise of Lens come to mind, even Xabi Alonso did well at Leverkusen though he would be aiming to get back to Sociedad.

An EL win and CL entry has given the money the board claimed they so desperately needed, now spend it wisely on and build the foundations of more solid seasons, please.

5 Likes

Please no more over aged shit on high wages. Get Bade and Gueye deals done. We have Gattoni coming in too which will be a boost and lower the squad average age.

I love Bono, but he is probably one of the only assets we have that can probably bring in a fairly large sum of cash.

5 Likes

On his IG story last night Bade asked Monchi to sign him last night, to which Monchi replied ‘it’s already done’. Could just be in the heat of the moment/not fully signed, but hopefully he’s the first new signing.

Sadly I think departures are likely, with Bono being the obvious one mostly because I’m not sure how much actual interest there is in other squad members…

5 Likes

Mendi just has to stay.

Winning the Europa again last night surely has to settle it. If he doesn’t get the job permanently after that and steering us to comfortable safety from the precarious position we were in, then I don’t know what the man has to do.

When he took over we were in genuine danger of relegation and talk of winning the Europa League was seen understandably as a distraction.

The man has presided over a quite frankly astonishing turnaround.

Give him the job!

6 Likes

Last game away at Sociedad doesn’t really matter now. We could finish 12th and we know Champions League football is in the bag.

The difference it will make to us financially is huge and for our summer transfer prospects.

4 Likes

Here’s where we stand going into the final match day. We could climb as high as 7th and fall as far as 12th, but who really cares? We’ve qualified for Champions League!

4 Likes

slight pushback on the “last game doesnt matter” take. which is an understandable one relative to champions league qualification.

but in reality, there is a meaningful difference (european qualification aside) in where we finish given how tight things are. If we finish 12th our season reward is 8.1m euros, 7th and that jumps up by ten to 18m.

winning EL itself gave us something like 7m, so in some ways, a single game return of 10m euros (of course depending on other results) is still potentially huge. i’d love to see us win a pocket a few million extra at least.

8 Likes

So La Liga will have 8 teams in Europe next season! That’s amazing.

5 Likes

Absolutely.

Hope we can win and finish as high in the league as possible.

5 Likes