Opinions on José Luis Mendilibar's Sevilla FC

Who’s he going to put there? Fernando suspended, Marcáo injured, Nianzou injured, Rekik injured.

Who’s he going to put there apart from Gudelj?

1 Like

I 100% agree with our obsession on passing back, this crept in the second half of last season. When we never properly recovered from loosing against :poop: in the Cup. I think 4 4 2 will suit us and hopefully keep our football simple and effective. We need a settled team now and no nonsense approach. We can still finish mid table and who knows what we can do in the Europa League. I have say to under Samps we were very unpredictability bad most weeks which has to stop. Good luck Coach, vamos mi Sevilla, vamos Campeon!

4 Likes

I thought Fernando was back after Getafe?

This has to go and the new guy will be trying to eradicate the bad habit, I’m not sure how much success he’ll have with that.

It was a 4 game suspension and he’s passed 2 of the 4.

1 Like

Don’t play three there, play what the guys are most familiar with 4 back system with Bade and Gudelj. The three in the back hadn’t worked, yet he kept doing it without the personal to pull it off.

1 Like

Could easily see this though…

Bono

Jesus Navas
Bade
Gudelj
Acuña

Gueye
Rakitic

Ocampos
Oliver
Bryan

YEN

5 Likes

I mean, that is our best XI IMO and what I would play

3 Likes

First rumoured name to for next summer coming up, Andoni Iraola, that’s something I can get behind. Great player, thinking forward, young and ambitious as a manager.

2 Likes

I’m gonna say his hand was forced and that he knew the midfield and defence was porous so sticking as many players back as possible was the way to go. Also the lack of promised reinforcements limited what he could put on the field. As Ryan said in another thread, there’s no 100% right or wrong formation - if Sevilla got a couple of draws and wins with this we would be singing his praises.

As for replacements, the 12 month extention is probably going to stick, I was going to mention Diego Martinez but since Espanyol are below us then he probably needs a second look; and what of Gallardo? He’s still a free agent but probably observing how much of a shit show Sevilla are now.

1 Like

So why do we think Monchi didn’t give Sampaoli the reinforcements in January? The board?

1 Like

Or the bank? Or likely the board whose hand is forced by the bank, which is the most concerning option.

2 Likes

Monchi regains power with signing of Mendilibar

Couple gems in here. First, that while Monchi wasn’t on board for the Lopetegui - Sampaoli swap, he was party to the present swap, and was convinced of Mendilíbar as the right choice.

Second, Caparrós was ready to hop in, but they opted for Mendi.

2 Likes

Props to Caparros for always being ready to help his beloved club.

6 Likes

Imagine a Sevilla-EUL-win this season, would this feat be accredited to three managers? Unique.

2 Likes

As reported, Mendi has emphasized the following in today’s training session:

1. NO FUCKING MEANINGLESS BACK-PASSING

2. NO FUCKING MEANINGLESS POSSESSION - rather fast and direct play, recovery and vertical passes looking for the goal.

Jordan, take notes!

5 Likes

At least he is coming across as positive. By God we need it.

4 Likes

Good principles in general.
Not sure how many lobotomy machines we have ready for that to work in just a couple of weeks.
Careful that it doesn’t lead to us wasting every possession play with impossible passes and miscommunicating ourselves to la Segunda.

3 Likes

Mendi’s end of season interview after he extends for another season and asked about the objectives:

2 Likes

This is gonna sound petty, and that’s because it is. But stick with me.

Loved Mendilíbar in his first presser, but at least three times he says “Sevilla Club de Fútbol”.

It really got under my skin. Curious whether the Spaniards are annoyed by that, but to me it just sounded dense to not know the name of your new club.

Like I said, petty. But, first sin committed and forgiven.

4 Likes

Pff I’m trying not to read to much into it. But The video of how Monchi appeared during the presentation of Mendilibar, he’s looking like he had a real rough time. Stress, bad sleep, pressure or other problems. But it looks borderline collaps for a few moments. Times are really hitting hard right now. Looked like they didn’t want to be there.

2 Likes