Opinions on José Luis Mendilibar's Sevilla FC

Yeah, well travelled on a regional scale. Nothing against Jose Luis Mendilibar but I can’t help but feel we just signed ourselved up for relegation.

4 Likes

Let’s give the guy a chance eh?

4 Likes

I am not sure what the rush was to fire Sampauli. I wish the board would have been as quick to fire Lopetegui, then we might have been able to hire a coach and let him shape the replacements this past summer transfer window. The board drug their feet then, but now they are super quick on the draw…I don’t get it. I am not optimistic about this coach based off of his record. I am hoping for the best, but is seems like we are just digging a deeper hole.

4 Likes

Let’s step back for a moment. This is the manager that managed to keep Eibar (EIBAR) in the top division for SIX straight seasons. We are talking a team that was in Segunda B for four seasons prior to their promotion to Segunda and then to La Liga. That’s an amazing feat. Surely this guy can manage to keep this group up if he could do it with Eibar’s squad.

5 Likes

Maybe the players didn’t like Sampaoli?

5 Likes

Sorry, but I missed something. Why does axing Sampaoli cost us money? He had certain clauses in his contract that said “if fired before a certain date then Sevilla pay an extra X”? So if we’d kept him until the summer and fired him then, would we have not had to pay this 5 million euros?

I agree that I’m surprised that we decided the change was urgent right now. Unless we think he truly lost control of the players and they were at risk of rioting/quitting. But also don’t have especially high confidence in Mendilibar and if things start out shakey, could imagine him also losing control of the clubhouse.

We NEED a few wins soon to settle things down. If we get them, then things will look bright again, but until then, the seas are very stormy.

4 Likes

Excellent article on Mendilibar explaining his tactics.

2 Likes

Dmitrovic
Montiel - Bade - Rekik - Acuna
Lamela - Gueye - Jordan - Oliver
YEN - Bryan

3 Likes

Mendilibar says.
“For me, playing backwards once you’ve crossed a rival line… it squeaks at me. I want players who can face up.”

At last someone who agrees with me. I’m sick and tired of us getting to the half way line then the ball ending up back with Bono.

Against Getafe Bono had 67 touches!,

5 Likes

Reading that got me excited!

4 Likes

I liked his philosophies and couldn’t agree more but his record suggest he only talks the talk and then he walks.

7 Likes

I still don’t know how to feel about this.

One thing is certain though - if Mendi will come here and talk about fighting relegation in the dressing room, the chances for that to really happen will increase. We don’t need extra pressure and shaky legs on the pitch… it’s counter-productive.

He should never mention relegation… it’s out of the question. A club like Sevilla shouldn’t even talk about that - we should always aim higher. Mendi should talk about top 7 and going as far as possible in EL, otherwise it’s a lost psychological battle.

The management didn’t help the situation by bringing Mendi in because of that, but it still depends on how the new coach approaches the dressing room. As I mentioned before, even if not 100% it’s at least 80% a mentality problem with the team. Can’t explain totally dominating and beating almost everyone at home and not being able to string 2 passes together when playing away. That has to change, hopefully Mendi took notes.

A good thing is that we are not Eibar or Alaves… Mendi has a decent squad in hand, a squad more than capable of finishing mid-table and above. With the right approach (tactics and motivation), this should not be a very hard task for him.

Other than that… let’s hope for good things to come and VAMOS MI SEVILLA, VAMOS CAMPEON!

7 Likes

That back-passing shit mentality is a gift from Lope. When you think of it, one of the main reasons we’re in this situation is because the management + board prolonged the inevitable sacking of Lope. Now we’re paying the price.

5 Likes

Let’s give the guy a chance. We in a desperate situation but at least he has experience of being in relegation battles. Hopefully our home form will keep us up and we can rebuild next season.

5 Likes

I just feel sorry for any manager we appoint with this current Sevilla board mentality. The board needs a shake up if we are to find ourselves as a club again.

4 Likes

Just to clarify my view, I don’t think Sevilla will be relegated but if they are, this is the stupid moment it was done. It’s not sour grapes because I’m a fan of Sampi, it’s just the pure stupidity.

I’m going to shut up now and get behind this manager because I actually like his talk and hope it works out here for him.

8 Likes

One could argue that was fielding a 3 in the back with one true centerback :wink:

3 Likes

A good ol’ 4-4-2 with power, rage and energy on the wings, two holding midfielders (not Jordan) and Rafa ‘Kanouté’ Mir and YEN Fabiano up top. We won’t know if it’ll work if we do not try it. And if not this manager will try then I don’t think anyone will.

I will back this 100%. Let’s Vamos, right?

5 Likes

We have to!

Bono

Jesus Navas
Bade
Nianzou
Acuña

Ocampos
Gueye
Rakitic
Bryan

Rafa Mir