MD6 - Villarreal vs Sevilla FC [22/23]

Still if you think, there is a difference, there is none. You create you have 1 shot on goal and score. Let’s not think we laid it on Villareal in any way. We survived well and got ahead.

4 Likes

Getting to see a few canteras get regular minutes for the first time again I years is nice, wasn’t expecting that from Lope’s bias for veterans.

The team has played well for about 10 mins… still the same. We were lucky not to concede, otherwise Villarreal look much more dangerous and I believe the second half will be a different one in favor of Villarreal.

Isco is the only one refusing the backwards passing mentality, but he can’t do much alone.

Jordan has lost (poor passing, loss of possession etc.) the ball at least 4 times. Gudelj has made 1 good tackle but constantly staying far from the opponent’s CF, again lucky not to concede + received a stupid yellow.

Rafa Mir has been a ghost (Kasper?)

Some dose of realism :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It’s more the fact it’s a vast improvement what we seen. We have looked better to watch, more solid and professional against a good side. It’s better than it was. Still lots to work on but more promising.

The question though is can we keep it up for 90 mins? This is what we struggled to do this season and at times in 2nd half of last season.

1 Like

:laughing:

You have every right to think like that though. The situation that we’re in, any slight positive play and it looks like a major improvement. But I tend to think it’s just a fluke unless it happens for more than 10-15 mins and we get in a winning streak of 3-4 matches with realistic improvement in tactics, system and approach.

1 Like

I’m enjoying the duel between Acuña & Chucky, Acuña has got to be careful now though.

1 Like

Do you think we can hold this lead though? I think we have a chance and it would be massive in our season if we beat a direct rival and get back to back away victories. Let’s see.

The stats are very even so far and I’d take that as the away side. It’s better signs.

1 Like

Who will be first to get second yellow? Gudelj or Acuña?

Isco and Oliver make a great combination (so he’ll take Oliver off), if we just had a little more composure breaking out then we would create much more danger and have more possession. Jordan needs to be more positive and play less balls back.

After scoring in the 8th minute we withstood Villarreal for 40 more and looked quite comfortable denying Villarreal their rapid counter attacks.

Fernando has made some errors but in each case the ball was doing weird things.

I’m impressed by the way we attacked without leaving it open for Villarreal. It just makes it more crazy that we haven’t done this before. The game is a clash of styles though.

2 Likes

The yellow submarine have actually had less shots and possession than us that half. Hopefully it stays like that in 2nd half haha :grinning:

2 Likes

Both these players need time. Nianzou didn’t spend pre-season with the team, and just needs to settle in. Hasn’t done a whole lot wrong, but you feel sometimes he’s tries to do a bit too much. Dolberg clearly lacks the match practice, and shouldn’t even be seeing the pitch. I don’t mind the minutes he’s gotten, cause how else will he get back to form?

1 Like

Where’s Nianzou by the way, is he injured or something?

Why is Rekik not playing though? Isn’t he better than Lope’s son/nephew Gudelj?

2 Likes

I agree with Mark that it has been a vast improvement. Best I’ve seen us play this season away at one of the toughest sides in this league and a direct contender for top 4.

Yes lots to work on and could still go wrong in the second half but credit when it’s due as much as I’ll criticise when we’re playing bad.

I hope Lope succeeds in turning things around. I want him and the club to succeed not fail.

2 Likes

I don’t think Rekik can complete 90 minutes.

2 Likes

I’m curious to see what will that tactical sub of Baena for Lo Celso (I don’t think he was injured or anything) bring for Villarreal in the second half.

Emery is a clever tactician and he knows when to make certain changes even within the first half.

1 Like

Bono off, so it wasn’t theatre.

I don’t know… I won’t get tricked again with 10-15 mins of good play. If this is very good then our standards are low. Still 45 more mins to play and only then we can discuss further. No improvement so far imo.

3 Likes

Around minute 70, Lope starts to shiver and has no nails left. That’s when we need to start praying we get the right flop.

That’s a fair comment. It’s because it’s been that bad so any improvement is something to celebrate. We still a long way from the finished article but any baby steps in the upward curve I’ll take for sure. We need some positivity to cling too haha.

1 Like

I don’t see it. The gameplan vs Villarreal becomes simple when they’re better at possession. Just bunker down and pick your moments. You already know we suck on counters, so this is what we’re gonna get.

2 Likes