MD3 - Almeria vs Sevilla FC [22/23]

I missed the match live too. I’ll catch up tomorrow and of course the podcast is going to be lively.

2 Likes

Lope said the defeat is a “mental problem” and he is absolutely right, the mental of Lope & the board have some serious problem (not so much on the players).

1 Like

Happy MM anniversary @Enrico :beers: :champagne: :fireworks:

2 Likes

Lope is still with the club? Hurray!

1 Like

Thanks, beautiful profile you got there btw :joy:

The thing I find hard to imagine, that if they didn’t doubt before the ending of last season, and they don’t want to pay the exit money for Lope. They have to be in some sort of fairyland mindset to think that against the will of everybody involved, continuing on the same road will be smart. They severely overestimated how secure we reached the objectives before. It’s also an insult to la Liga to think, with things only going worst as they went to think they would accomplish the same. And now we get to pay the final price.

Also who thinks at what game we get our first victory?
Is the team as badly down that we will rise to ascension and beat one of the big clubs or will it be, Espanyol, Copenhagen or maybe even Mallorca in November, any guessers?
With the schedule coming up, even if you get a new manager, completely new to the squad he has to basically be Jezus to revive the team to bring the hope to turn things around with the streak of games coming up lol. It’s either a manager who lost all hope and just takes the job for taking the job and doesn’t mind potential failure, or an extremely brave one, with no fear, and hopefully with the right tools to fix the the ship that was almost willingly made to sink.

4 Likes

Can anyone hear well enough to translate? @TimSpence2 @Brian @RyanMoore @Manuelmunoz1975

3 Likes

He’s asking for calm and unity, says that they’re affecting moral. You’re mostly young but we seen much worse situations.Then he says something I can’t make out maybe ‘inversion’ (investment) and finishes with ‘We’ll sort it out and go forward’

4 Likes

Imaginación no? O I think vamos todos en la misma dirección. Not everybody their own way, and some confidence. It’s just 3 games.

Don’t think it will help much, considering those games we had and the schedule ahead.

2 Likes

Lope’s Presser leaves me stunned again, I’m not sure he’s from this planet.

He says we have to improve
(master of the blindingly obvious)

We were better in the first half and their first goal upset us, maybe psyched us.

(don’t professional players have some psychological endurance?)

In the second half we were too eager and losses of possession led to the second goal.

(So that’s it then, it’s definitely the teams fault. Teams can lose possession 6 times in a minute, it’s an eternal to and fro, what sort of excuse is that)

Our football is somewhere between dire and non-existant thanks to one person, it’s not the players it’s the system. All our goals come from scrappy low-definition football, yesterdays goal was totally incidental, last weeks goal totally accidental, and so it goes, no one is to blame apart from the Manager.

4 Likes

Sounded more like ‘imersion’ to me and I can only think he’s saying ‘inversion’, he doesn’t speak too clearly at the best of times.

1 Like

I mean… expecting something to miraculously change with the same coach and squad in 5-6 days before our ‘brutal run of games’ is not only naive, but totally gullible. It’s actually insulting to all Sevillista’s intelligence, even to the extraordinarily optimistic ones. That’s what our management is expecting.

The only way to change is to try and force change… change will not come out of nowhere or fall from the sky.

We all know this season won’t even be a remotely successful one - so if we’re going to make the necessary ‘fall’ in order to experience that very much needed ‘raise’ (on level), we should at least not do it with the same system and mentality.

We can’t repeat the same mistake over and over… @Monchi, @Castro - act before it’s too late!

4 Likes

So basically we had this summer 2 months to make a well thought out transition, with time and planning, and we didn’t do it. And now they are gonna take a rushed decision turning the whole season into a transitional period. Failed management indeed.

1 Like

Sack Lope?

I somehow think it’s not going to happen before December or even before the end of the season. If getting 1 point out of 3 matches vs. teams like Almeria, Osasuna and Valladolid (2 of them newcomers in La Liga) then the standard is clearly very low. Monchi will tell the fans to ‘keep calm and trust the process’ again and again, and the management will justify the potential upcoming bad results with a ‘tough schedule’ and ‘bad luck’… but there’s always room for blind optimism right?

If the sacking doesn’t happen on Monday, it will already be too late. That is if they want to actually try and change something, even make it a transitional season. But it won’t even be a transitional season with the same old crap.

3 Likes

I’m just for not taking any rushed decisions at all. It can go from bad to worse. Give a new trainer a preseason and some time to work his ways. A clean slate, to be fair, and not the mess that the predecessor left behind. We need a good brainwash. And reignited passion.

5 Likes

First contribution for me to the thread.

So I’ve watched the match on replay this afternoon. My thoughts are we played well in the first half, the best I’ve seen from us in a while from an attacking sense. We dominated and should have been out of sight, if only our finishing had been better and the Almeria keeper didn’t put in an inspired performance.

Sadly we paid the price for not scoring more than one goal with an Almeria equaliser just before half time, with a mistake gifting them a goal. From that moment on, Almeria really seized the initiative in the second half and were the better side and it seemed inevitable that they would get their second goal. Our second half performance was nowhere near the level of the first either.

So some observations. One of our biggest problems is losing Kounde and Carlos. Any team would struggle with the loss of one of the best central defensive partnerships in Europe. Not just that, but they haven’t been adequately replaced. An unfit Marcao has been brought in and a young inexperienced defender in Nianzou. As for going forward, absolutely nothing has been done to improve this and we’re left relying on Mir and YEN.

All this taken into account, I have a lot of sympathy for Lope and he can’t be blamed for being left with a clearly weaker squad after an uninspiring transfer window. Monchi has to take responsibility for that. Lope as a manager does need that support and he’s not been given it.

Clearly, the biggest issues as far as Lope is concerned is playing style as we’re not great to watch and also a string of poor results which stretches all the way back to the second half of last season. That is why patience is wearing so thin. There is an argument to give him more time and wait for the transfer market to finish, hopefully bring in a new forward and let the new players mesh together and hopefully we see an improvement.

However I suspect the panic button will set in and patience will wear thin after the poor start to the season and the uninspiring end to last season. Not just that, but we have games to play against Barca, Espanyol away, Villarreal away and Atleti at home which isn’t ideal when you’re looking for a win to change fortunes. We could find ourselves in a very perilous position in the not too distant future.

Lope is under pressure no doubt but a change of manager won’t solve all the problems this squad faces (which are bigger than Lope and not all his fault), so we should tread carefully.

4 Likes

I think it’s 50/50 that tomorrow will be that big news day many are waiting for, it’s been too long without real football and the writing has been on the wall all 2022. Maybe our football is one reason we’re having difficulty signing players.

Achieving CL football is marvellous but shouldn’t be the peak of our ambitions. It’s a fact that when a business plans for bad times they sure as hell get them. Now we are in a situation and maybe with the departure of Carlos and Koundé the wheels have come off.

The faces of the players reveal their dissatisfaction too while Lope thinks he’s irreplaceable at the moment and didn’t hear any complaints from fans in the stadium. But the players are forcing it.

3 Likes

To be fair to the players name me one, to which you think has blossomed or lived up to his potential in the whole Lope era.

We have gotten the absolute minimum out of the potential they had. They are not all terrible.

What a new manager at least can do is to establish a new core and Cather to new players to help us win games. Because Lope doesn’t make anybody shine except a defender or a goalkeeper.

A new manager will set out new lines and ideas that refreshen the players minds and will see new possibilities. I think for Rafa Mir for example this is key.

4 Likes

Another observation, Sadiq and Ramazani were very impressive for Almeria last night and caused us all sorts of problems. That extra quality seemed to be the difference and shows what can be done if you have proper forwards. Sadiq in particular was a real handful I thought.

We could do a lot worse.

4 Likes

This really is the problem, not only have they not blossomed they have regressed under Lope. Rakitic might be our best player this season just for his composure and consistency. YEN has disappeared for a year, Bono is not saving as many shots. Ocampos is a waste of space.

2 Likes