MD3 - Almeria vs Sevilla FC [22/23]

A manager will still have to make that quality work. I can’t ever imagine Lope doing that, and we all know why more or less.

2 Likes

Think Lope deserves a bit of credit. He’s guided us to three successive top 4 finishes.

The man isn’t a bad coach whatever happens from here and that should be remembered.

3 Likes

Sick of all the negativity being honest. Some clearly want him to fail and anyone that thinks differently gets shouted down.

I’ve had my criticisms and the time probably has come for a change but come on…

1 Like

Noone wants him to fail and noone gets shouted down.

Some of Lope’s more fierce critics have been pointing out for a long time that maybe we got more points than what the play on the field really deserved. And now that the points seem to fails us as well it seems to have been the famous last drop and more of Lope’s supporter’s are asking questions - and that is totally fair.

But noone is rooting for him to fail and noone gets shouted down. On the contrary, since some Anti-Lope have been called delusional and was once mocked for going into panic-mode because ‘we are still playing for third place’ although the play and points were pointing down.

3 Likes

He does get credit. And rightly so. But when the going gets tough he should also face a fair criticism. And it’s not just because of the first three games of the season.

2 Likes

Easy to blame the manager when the going gets tough. What is out of Lope’s control is losing his two star centre backs and failing to adequately replace them, not to mention a failure to sign any forward players.

Any manager and team would suffer in that context and be weaker as a result. Too often in modern football the manager is made the scapegoat.

Not absolving Lope of any blame or saying he should stay on, but there are other factors at play here and there are other opinions that others should respect and listen to rather than reacting with shocked smileys. Yes the usual suspect and Lope’s fiercest critic on here!

A bad coach doesn’t get three top 4 finishes in a row. Simple.

Have you considered that maybe the players carried him.
Maybe obliged his misjudgment and no longer wish to oblige.

1 Like

That is the exact translation. :+1:

Really man? This is what @Aduk92 is talking about cause I agree that a change is necessary, but players carrying him is simply not true.

1 Like

One of the best central defensive duos Sevilla ever had. A goalkeeper who saved miracles, really in a form that’s unreal and won many points by himself. And an incredible vacuum cleaner in Fernando.

Count it all out, and replace it with a bit a bit less quality. And resimulate all the previous games and yes you don’t end where you did. Not even close. There are so many situations where this happened that, that saying he’s not carried by players is an argument that has no support. And just rests on your personal believes. He taught Kounde how to be an absolute beast and showed Bono how to do insane reflexes. No. He had them in his arsenal and he put them on the field.

Go rewatch 2 seasons and imagine not having those 4 and see what happens. And you lose versus the same teams we lost to now. The way 90% of the victories fell, was hanging on a fine threat. You guys have forgotten.

2 Likes

This is where you are making the wrong assumption about this.

No one, and I mean literally no one (even the most anti-Lope) is saying that he is a bad coach. We all discussed about this and agreed that he’s not a bad coach, just that he has reached his ceiling and will not be able to make it happen again with the squad that he has this season - very logical and some of us are blaming Monchi for poor pre-season planning and transfers too. Blame is never 100%… even if it is 99 to 1 %, it’s still not 100%, so it’s not valid if someone says it’s all because of Lope… I know I didn’t but I doubt that anyone ever said it here.

Now back to the most important thing. If Lope has a ceiling, and that ceiling is 4th place in La Liga and nothing else - and that ceiling cannot be reached without having some of the best players in the league, especially the best CB’s in the league and a very in-form DM like Fernando (pre-injury) to keep things going - I still want that kind of coach out.

If Lope would’ve reached his ceiling / standard results without the 2nd highest salary roll club in La Liga - I’d take my hat off to him.

3 Likes

Was this a trick question? Kounde and Carlos.

Yes. And Bono. He made Bono play better.

Are we going down?

1 Like

Maybe… or maybe they’re broke, who knows… :man_shrugging:t4:

I don’t see this team competing for much with everything as is. Part of me is curious to see where Sevilla & Lopetegui end up this season if things stay as they are. Do they get relegated or do they qualify for European competition?

Do I really want to sit through another season of Lopeball? Nope!

3 Likes

Another difficult match to endure. We have to stop the rot. The squad seems so unbalanced. We need another striker and stop playing 2 x defensive midfielders against teams we should be imposing ourselves on. This is a very big job to turn this around.

4 Likes

Welcome back @Mark_EG !!!

4 Likes

Great to hear from @Mark_EG again :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Tim, apologies for being away so long. I guess life just rakes over some times. I purchased La Liga TV last year and unfortunately watched alot of boring performances in the 2nd half of the season. There is definitely something missing in this team… Maybe a leader?

2 Likes

Cheers Chris, im still holding out for having a few cold Cruz Campos with you in Sevilla…