M4: Sevilla FC vs FC Barcelona [21/22]

Sevilla Football Club stay at home on Tuesday to make up Matchday 4 against 7th place Barcelona who are 10 points behind second place Sevilla.

Barcelona needed an 85th minute winner from Nico González to beat the 17th place team Elche in their weekend fixture. Barcelona went up early from goals by Ferran and Gavi, but Eleche scored two in minutes 62 and 63 to tie.

Barcelona has scored the same amount of goals in the league as Sevilla, 28, but have given up 9 more than has Sevilla. Barcelona are relying on a bunch of youngsters right now and have quite a few injuries as well missing Sergino Dest, Pedri, Sergi Roberto, Memphis Depay, and Martin Braithwaite.

It will be a tough match and Sevilla have injury concerns of their own. Lucas Ocampos and Gonzalo Montiel both went out with injuries in the Atletico match. Acuna, also looked to have reinjured himself. Diego Carlos also missed training today. There will be lots of questions for the red and white club going into the match, but it is a must win in order to move within 3 points of league leaders, Real Madrid.

There are tickets available for the match on the Sevilla website and we could use a full stadium full of voice to push our beloved Sevilla FC to victory.

7 Likes

Normallly would say that minimum 80 euros for a league game is a bit much. But heck with it, this is such a huge chance to get close to Real. So I just hope it inspires the squad to give everything we have and get that sweet sweet Victory. Barcelona being my absolute nemesis of football clubs in general. Would make it even better if we get it against them, this time. So just the hope of this and the feelings, the excitement we currently have makes it worth the shot! And the atmosphere in RSP in a game with this much on it, for sure will be unforgettable.

Let’s get it, Vamos mi Sevilla!

6 Likes

Lopetegui is going to give them a lesson in tactics.

4 Likes

I’m very excited for this one! It’s a great way to end the year. I hope Carlos is fit as he didn’t train today. We need our backline to be as strong as it can be.

The good news is YEN has been given the all clear and also surprisingly but lope said ocampos has a chance to make it tomorrow. We will see what happens there.

It’s gonna be tough but we have the squad, players, management tactics and nous to get a result here. Let’s hope for the best. Vamos sevilla!

6 Likes

Really surprising news about YEN! The guys trained with only 13 players today. EEEEEKKKKK

5 Likes

Diego Perotti is without a club right now. He had ACL surgery in February, so he should be back to full health by now. Just a thought, but I wonder if we could sign him for six months? This just me throwing shit out there.

4 Likes

It’s a double-edged sword to keep it ‘tactical’ and careful against Barca. They have young, pacey players and can score as a team. If things go their way instead of ours, we could be in for an embarrassment.

This will be the first time that we face them in the post-Messi era, it will be interesting to say the least. Winning would give us a great momentum for what awaits us after the winter mini-break, as well as keep us in the title race.

4 Likes

That’s the doubt, if they overrun us through the middle of the midfield but I still think Lope is the guy for that, even though I’m one of his toughest critics, he gets it.

1 Like

The Biris fell out with Perotti big style but he is a class player.

4 Likes

I remember watching the game vs Barca at the RSP in 2014. It rained so hard that night, I was soaked through! Sevilla scored early through Moreno, only to lose 1-4. Xavi was playing that night, so it’ll be weird to see him as their manager…

5 Likes

It is far too much.
That’s why buying a season ticket is such good value.
For just the three games against Barca, R Madrid & :poop:, tickets for my seat would cost me over 300e in total if bought on the day. My season ticket cost 350e & included the 3 cl group games and any CDR games.

5 Likes

I remember that. Unjustified too if I recall correctly. I’m sure they would welcome him home.

That isn’t going to happen. When has it when Lope is manager? I guess you can say the 3-0 return leg of the Copa, but that’s a different time.

3 Likes

I always fear it with Sevilla to be honest. We’ve just had too many of those episodes historically, enough for an ‘embarrassment phobia’ to be created. With Lope we had it last season against Barca in CDR, when least expected. We’ve also had it with Lope against Barca in his first season in 2019-20 (4-0 away) and against Villarreal last season (4-0 away), so it’s not that it never happened or too long ago not to fear it. We could’ve had it against Bilbao too recently. Not saying that it will definitely happen, but it could - especially against pacy teams.

P.S. Forgot the debacle vs. Chelsea last season too. (0-4 at home).

1 Like

On a separate note I read an article in Estadio Deportivo stating that the club’s plans for the RSP are now favouring demolishing it and re-building a new one in its place. In the 2-3 seasons of the construction phase the club intend to play at La Cartuja.

2 Likes

You’re one negative fellow aren’t you😂

2 Likes

Would you be happier and sleep better at night if I say we’ll beat Barca 5-0? There you go, enjoy it.

4 Likes

It’s only ever happened 3 times in lope management since August 2019. That shows how tough we are to beat or hammer. Only once at home against Chelsea and remember that game we heavily rotated playing virtually our whole B team. We rested nearly all 11 main starters I think and I guess in the end we lost to the champions anyway.

The game away to Barca was at the start of lope’s management in 2019 when his stamp on the squad wasn’t apparent yet. That was still against a very strong Barca as well with younger Messi and Suarez and other top players still there.

Villarreal away was a bit of a freak at end of last season. I guess as we were out of the title race after Bilbao loss and real draw so the squad switched off a bit.

All in all though they extremely rare under lopetegui management and this squad of players especially at home too. I don’t think this Barca squad of players are capable of doing that to us. If they win it will be hard fought by a goal or something.

I’m confident though we have the experience advantage over them and both sides have injury issues but we have the stronger squad now to deal with it. We will see what happens. The main think I worry about playing Barca is the ref/var though. Especially even more so this season as they struggling and they been going out there way to help them most games.

2 Likes

Didn’t we have a weakened side for this game though? I know we were down to our fourth choice goalkeeper.

2 Likes

Not sure how I feel about this, I love the RSP. Would love to try and redevelop what we have rather than end up with one of these lego set look a likey stadiums that most new ones tend to end up being now a days.

3 seasons at La Cartuja too… :nauseated_face: I bet the Seville governors are loving that though, would give them an excuse to claim back most of the cash they have wasted over the last 25 years keeping the shit heap alive. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think adding a third tier to the RSP is problematic. They are talking about sinking the stadium so that the height of the new one is no higher than the current one.

2 Likes