LaLiga 2021-22 Season Thread

Happy new year guys and what a start it is!

Get in Getafe! Win our two games in hand and we go within 2 points!

3 Likes

Everyone who isn’t a Real Madrid fan today…

yes-rawr (1)

5 Likes

The title is really there for us. Question is can we overcome these games with lots of players out with covid and injury? If we had a cleaner bill of health I’d be more confident. Hopefully we can win tomorrow as Cadiz are struggling but us being depleted doesn’t help.

3 Likes

The Ref gave Madrid every 50-50 decision in that game but they seemed to run out of legs in the later stages and so even the generous extra minutes extra didn’t help them.

Looking forward to watching Rayo and see if they can repeat that snappy football in and around the penalty area, although a draw would be the preferred result.

4 Likes

I am less bothered about atleti and Barca results. It’s crazy to say this but we so far ahead currently that we don’t need to desperately hope they slip up like usual. That slip up today though by Real Madrid puts the title back in our hands. This month will be a challenge though due to covid, injuries and also Africa cup of nations starting. Thankfully our games on paper aren’t as tough and no Europe in the way yet.

3 Likes

We’ve just got to do what we have to do… Time for squad players to show their worth IMO, no time to say we can’t win this because we are short players… 25 man squad, time for everyone to stand up and be counted.

Have we released our squad for tomorrow yet? As SAT aren’t playing this weekend we have the full pick of any of their players we need to fill in.

2 Likes

I agree it’s time for the squad to keep stepping up. We have adapted well to every challenge so far and hopefully the squad keep doing it. As that’s what is required for squads capable of challenging for titles. If we could have picked the next fixture to be depleted for I’d pick Cadiz every time at present. While they got a lucky draw at Real Madrid they aren’t in good form, leaking goals more than often and pretty poor in attack.

2 Likes

Looks like we have trained light the last few days, so hoping for a few people to come back from knocks / covid, hence no squad list available yet.

2 Likes

The great thing is right now we have our destiny back in our own hands. If we keep winning and can beat Real Madrid at home then top spot is there for the taking. Only us and Real Madrid can say that. If we can do well this month and win our games in hand we can officially make this a 2 horse race but a different 2 horse to what the Spanish media are used to or like haha.

3 Likes

Looking at the fixtures, we have a fairly winnable looking January. Cadiz away, Getafe and Celta Vigo at home and the toughest game being Valencia away. I’d be hoping for 10 points from 12 minimum out of that.

We do have a lot of injuries and players out due to Covid, but now has come the time for the overall squad to show what it’s made of and keep us in the title race that we’re very much in.

I’ve looked at the potential line up against Cadiz and even with the makeshift defence, I still think we should have enough to beat a struggling team and for the record to win against most teams in La Liga.

2 Likes

We still need to step up in the big games mind you, we took 1 point from Real Madrid and Barcelona so far this season, realistically it should have been at least 4 points.

2 Likes

They are both are nemesis clubs. The only thing that holds us back. I think the pain both clubs have left us over the years have left deep scars and we developed an inferiority complex against them. I hope we can change that but even still we have a great chance of the title regardless them games.

2 Likes

The Real Madrid Home game will be huge.

2 Likes

The government changed the quarentine time down to 7 days this week, so Sevilla were right to keep stum on the names of the positive cases. I’m hoping some of our case have run-out their quarentines and are available.

6 Likes

There are enough games we should be winning aside from them that should keep us in the title hunt. That said, the home game against Real will be huge, potentially title deciding.

So far against the so called ‘big three’, we have 4 points which isn’t bad. Hopefully it will be more in the return games.

5 Likes

I am so glad Madrid lost! We need to take advantage of this and win our next two games in hand tho

6 Likes

Whatever happens it’s gonna be exciting. We haven’t been in these position for a long time or hardly ever in our lifetimes anyway. Let’s just enjoy the ride.

5 Likes

Atletico comfortable 2-0 winners against Rayo today. Not that we should be too bothered about their results.

3 Likes

I haven’t watched a Real Bėtis game in a long long time (except the Derbi!), so I’m going to see how they get on against Celta today, especially as we have Celta in a couple of weeks ourselves.

4 Likes

Did Real Madrid win? I haven’t checked the score… :laughing:

Now come on gents just take care of Cadiz and close that gap

4 Likes