LaLiga 2021-22 Season Thread

How many games is it already that our close competitors have had miraculous late escapes?

4 Likes

We want to do the same thing but we can’t unfortunately - you cannot get lucky and win games if you don’t attack :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Another scenario could easily be 1-3 down at HT.

1 Like

Yeah so many lucky escapes. I mean they make their own luck at times but the ref always makes the right decision for them or helps them out.
For example had that been us the Getafe player may not have seen red. It may seem like sour grapes but everyone knows we don’t get the same fair treatment the big 3 do. These decisions matter massively as football is all about the fine margins.

The same for time added on too. The big 3 always get that usually in their favour as well. If they need a goal they give them enough time to score or if they struggling to hang on they gave the opposition hardly any time.

If Atlético didn’t have a world class striker in luis Suarez they wouldn’t have won. The fact is Simeone has him and lopetegui doesn’t. That’s lucky for Diego haha :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

YEN is a good goalscorer too - not of Suarez’s caliber and experience but still, in order to make the most out of a player you need to have a proper formation. Simeone’s 4-4-2 allows for attacking versatility as he plays with 2 strikers, one of them being as a second striker more but helps the more advanced one in this case Suarez.

A 4-4-2 with us would be:

Bono
Navas / Kounde / DC / Acuna

Lamela / Fernando / Oscar / Ocampos

Rafa Mir / YEN

It wouldn’t hurt to try it, but Lope will never do that and that’s why we won’t win those games like Atletico.

3 Likes

True point. Let’s hope lope makes the changes we require up front. Hopefully starting tomorrow.

2 Likes

Meanwhile Falcao scores his second goal for Rayo - he played 33 mins in total. 33 mins and 2 goals, that’s what a golden striker is about!

5 Likes

Jammy Atletico again, they just seem to find a way to win! What a start to the season for Rayo by the way, everyone’s favourites for relegation and they’re right up there.

Agree with Mark’s comments re the doom and gloom. You’d think we’d lost six on the trot like Getafe. Reminds me of Spurs fans forgetting how mid table and mediocre their side used to be back in the day, to one that now is seen as a top 4 challenger.

I think we’ve come so far even to be spoken about as title challengers and in with the big boys as regularly as we do in the Champions League. I as much as anyone want to see us reach the next level and be considered a genuine giant European side but it takes time and resources and money that we’ve not got to the same extent as others. Rome wasn’t built in a day. I just think we need some realism as expectations are very high.

3 Likes

Honestly every football fan friend or family that I’ve talked with do not expect anything from Sevilla this season. I mean, sure, they don’t follow Sevilla with a passion like I do, but I watch most of the matches along with my father and he has the same expectation… nothing. Then a good friend of mine who is a Juventus fan said that last he knew Valencia was playing quite well… nothing about Sevilla, and I can truly understand that because of the way we play - we look dull and uninspiring.

However, this at least fits with the expectations of Castro who legitimately expects us to finish 4th for 5-6 season in a row and the rest won’t matter. That’s a crap mentality to have for the future.

Since getting promoted in the 2002-03 season, Atletico finished 12th, 7th, 11th, 10th, 7th, 4th, 4th, 9th, 7th and 5th before Simeone took over in a full season. Then they won the league and reached the CL final, sealing themselves as a ‘top club’ only 1 and a half season later under Simeone.

I understand optimism but realism will only make one feel pessimistic given the current circumstances. It’s one thing to have a coach who can’t do better than the 4th place (or worse) and the rest won’t matter, but it’s a whole different story when your club President says that they are basically comfortable in becoming the Arsenal of La Liga. That’s disgusting to even think about it, let alone experience it as a fan.

Your ambitions will not raise if you keep finishing 4th for 5-6 season in a row, rather you will get used to that situation and do just about the minimum to achieve that, that’s called stagnation a.k.a Arsenal. I’m taking Arsenal as a pure example but they at least won 13 league titles and 2 since 2002 and we have only one title in 1946 which very few people remember.

This could all make sense from a club’s perspective, playing it safe, being conservative, setting small goals etc. but from a fan’s perspective it sucks big time.

Try and have Cerezo say that Atletico will focus on finishing 4th for 5-6 seasons in a row and their fans will burn down the stadium and the club’s offices. They are now used to winning titles and competing for the title every season, 4th is like battling relegation to them. They also wouldn’t be surprised if they go far in CL or even win it, they were very close 2 times, while we were never ever even close to that.

The point that I’m trying to make is that us fans should not be content with what is going on and we should always expect more from this club, because the potential exists. Only the fans of clubs like Celta, :poop: etc. would be unrealistic in expecting much more from their clubs.

We are Sevilla, with a golden past history (except what matters most, La Liga and CL) and with high ambitions. We can’t allow the mediocre plans of a President dictate what we think and how we feel about the club. This reality is simply unacceptable.

2 Likes

Castro saying 4th place is the target is him being realistic. Look at our squad — is it better than any of the Big 3? Sure Barça have downgraded, but that team still has better players than us.

On the flipside, we’ve kept Kounde & Diego Carlos for a 3rd straight season, and the squad has been improving. So i’m totally with the sentiment that the end product should be much better than it actually is. IMO, our game will only elevate once we allow our technical leaders to settle in the team. By that i mean Papu Gómez & Lamela. Moreso Papu, cause i feel that he fills the void left by Banega as the go-to player.

Once this team learns to bring the best out of itself, it’ll evolve into not just relying on a single player, as the depth is there at every position for us to remain consistent. But i need Lopetegui to be more daring.

We’ve seen those scenarios where a team is there for the taking (ie. Germany vs Brazil). My problem with Lope is that it doesn’t seem he would allow his team to go for the jugular like that. Instead he’d want to slow down the pace, and control the match to win it 2-0. Very few times have we played a game at a proper tempo like we did in the 1-0 win against Atlético last season. Surely it’s a mental thing, and i look straight to Lope for that.

4 Likes

Sevilla have presented a €41m loss on the year to June21. I don’t know how that’s made up and it’s probably not has bad as it sounds

But

Salaries:-
€750.000 for the president
€575.000 for the vice-president
€450.000 for the second vice-president
€50,000 each for the rest of the consejeros

I hope Monchi is not among ‘the rest’

4 Likes

Celta played some quality football, they don’t deserve were they are but fell on the unlucky end, a of couple games. Atleast you gotta respect their approach.

Exactly the point we making though. Would you swap positions with them? Definitely not haha. They play well but lose. First and foremost winning matches is the most entertaining thing for me then the performance.

2 Likes

Before you compare them with us and make that statement. Look at their size of the club, financially, players and width of the squad. They have a more positive approach give them Bono and Lamela, plus Lopetegui his luck and they would have been higher than us. And we would immediately be where they are right now with 4 points or something. The fact that they are playing better with way lesser options, that is the worrying part, which is why I expect more from us.

3 Likes

They need a lot more than that to breach the gap to us. Their defence is horrendous for starters.

Some good points but is season after season of 4th and Champions League that bad? Not saying we shouldn’t aim higher but things could be a lot worse. Fourth is probably about where we are right now.

I’m sure Arsenal would take finishing 4th again over the band average mid table Prem side they are now.

Be careful what we wish for.

2 Likes

Mallorca are making it so easy for Real Madrid :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Hey Tim,
Where did you get those figures from?

1 Like
5 Likes