La Liga 2022-23 Season Thread

Funny you brought them up. Here in my town (La Algaba) Diego Tristan is famous for “making it”. I think he played for Deportivo La Coruña during the early 2000s. He bounced around a bit after. Now he owns a bar here and is a director on the local club my kids play for. Occasionally I head to his bar and chat with him. He is a decent guy and easygoing.

5 Likes

Tristan was at Mallorca then I think he went to Depor then his career started to wane a bit.

I think I heard a nasty rumour many years ago that he is a Betico though, can you confirm? I know he started in their Cantera.

That’s so cool. Diego Tristán was one of my idols growing up, not that I knew him so well, but Depor has been my team since a little kid. Mostly because of Valerón but, Roy Makaay, and eternal talent Alberto Luque. The names, the club and the talented players, made them magical for me.

Still following them from a distance and hoping everytime they get closer to coming back. Maybe this year’s they find the promotion. Lucas Pérez has returned and is still class, hoping to help them out, Quiles is doing work too, and good old Alex Bergantiños still there. Can’t wait for when they eventually come back, it will be inevitable in the end!

2 Likes

Funny you look back to those times… Look at the old Valencia teams too… Cañizares in Goal, solid back 4 ALWAYS (Ayala, Pellegrino, etc), Albelda, Marchena or Ruben Baraja manning the midfield, letting talented forward players like Kily Gonzalez, Pablo Aimar, Mista, Rufete, Angulo, Vicente to get forwards and do their thing (even the eternal Joaquin!).

Always tended to have a big old useless lump up top like Salva Ballesta or John Carew though!

Actually they did have one of my favourite ever non Sevilla players in David Villa too… :fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

I miss that Valencia man. Pablo Aimar for me as well and Mendieta, what all has happened.

Cañizares my favourite goalie, I did like Jersey Dudek too. Young me roleplaying those legends, when it was my turn in goal haha.

2 Likes

I don’t know what it is, as it’s not their “typical” kit with the Black Sleeves but when I think of this Valencia kit from 2003, I always think of a very strong, very organized team competing against the odds not only with Spain’s but some of Europe’s best too. It’s a very dominant kit in my opinion.

I actually had the Valencia Away shirt that season, just remember it was well cool as it was fluorescent orange and fluo kits weren’t really a thing (bar 1990s Borussia Dortmund) back then.

1 Like

I have heard that too but have not heard him say anything either way pro :poop: or pro Sevilla. I haven’t outright asked him, but if the chance comes up I will.

1 Like

Please do I’d be interested.

Hit me up when you are in town. I will take you to his bar and buy you a Cruzcampo there.

2 Likes

wow. i asked a question about whether or not we were happy that our sworn enemy might get relegated and this morphed into the hidden Valencia fan/tribute thread. i had no idea.

interesting stuff tho guys. i think im finding myself inching to the camp of hoping that they stay up.

sad that Deportivo are down in RFEF (with Sevilla Atleti) would love to see them rise again.

Eibar and Granada in lead positions for promotion to la liga from segunda as of now.

5 Likes

The referees from La Liga and segunda are apparently striking back at the clubs after the recent statements from several clubs (I actually thought Sevilla were the only ones, but I guess not). A strike should have been on the table, but it was dismissed.

Hopefully this will open up for a healthy debate regarding the standards of the refs. I agree that we should never go personal and single out refs and it is a very dangerous path to hint at corruption and bribery. But with that said, we should not ignore the fact that a very serious investigation is currently underway regarding corruption and bribery, so the refs should definitely tread carefully. And when multiple clubs are questioning the standard of the refs, it would be crazy to just play the victim-card and not do anything about it. A heavy upgrade in the education of refs should be the first step.

And I always wondered why the refs are never held accountable for the close calls they make during a game. What made del Cerro Grande NOT award Valencia a penalty for the handball on Fernando when some of his colleagues would have awarded a penalty for much less? Transparency regarding the tough calls for refs during a game would definitely help in my opinion.

1 Like

I wish futbol would publicly post the results of the calls of a game. Grade the referees like baseball does. Grade their accuracy. The cream will rise to the top. The others will be publicly shamed. This is neutral to teams.

2 Likes

Replying to epl money comments, It hasn’t done much has It? No chance of 2 English teams in the Champions final, Italians maybe.

2 Likes

Chelsea have spent £539m this season and won’t even play in Europe next season.
That must be a record.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind invitation. I’m not living in Cordoba anymore or any place close anymore so it might be a while but if I happen to go there that would awesome :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Best news of the week.

Mendilibar rules out Jordán, with tendon problems, for several games.

4 Likes

So I talked to Diego tonight and asked him the question…Sevillista o Betico? He said he was a Sevillista when he was younger, but then played for the :poop: Cantera and was forced to “pull” for them. He said now he is indifferent towards the rivalry and will watch all teams.

I told Diego about your comments and he smiled. Outside of the top 1%, old football players kinda fade away and become forgotten.

2 Likes

Thank you for asking.

1 Like

Just placing this here:

https://www.marca.com/futbol/betis/2023/04/20/644138ad22601d601b8b45da.html

We can add one more thing to our objectives pending for this season: make sure Joaquín doesn’t get his final wish as a bético. Use our derbi with them to ensure they don’t climb up to Champions positions.

Am I wrong to be vindictive?

3 Likes

Rayo must be having the most ‘avarage’ or ‘balanced’ season of all time right now. They take as much as they can give, hahaha.

1 Like