La Liga 2022-23 Season Thread

According to estadio deportivo Papu is on his way out.
“Sevilla and the player will try to reach an agreement today for the separation”

1 Like

Better to be out than in and not contributing anything to the team - unnecessary drama like the case with Argentina NT celebration invitation and all that…

Thank you Papu, but you never really fought for the shirt and always played with the ‘superstar’ badge in the pitch. Bye!

6 Likes

Fuck me it’s like Sevilla and Crystal Palace are mirroring one another for incompetence at the moment… Lucky me!!! :man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2:

So, first incoming news from the international break:

Bryan Gil left the camp of the Spanish National Team after not being able to fully exercise due to muscular pain.

I’m crossing my fingers that this was purely precautionary and/or Gil went to the coach and said “hey, these matches are unimportant for the national team, but I’ve really gotta be in good form to close up the season with Sevilla.”

Somehow, I doubt that latter story would happen in Spain, but in any case, the good news is that it means another critical team member gets a bit of rest before Cádiz et al.

4 Likes

Wanted to see your views on this, Vieira hasn’t been the most successful of coaches but Crystal Palace just faced a tough bunch of opponents, and getting Hodgson back… well.

1 Like

The thing is mate… As much as Hodgson is a step backwards he is very good at what he does. And well Vieira didn’t win in 12 games (our last win was the 31st December 2022!!!), and we have scored 4 goals (5 after Sunday) in 2023.

That simply isn’t good enough, and a change needed to be made in my opinion especially as we now have a run of games against teams around us that we simply have to Win (or at least not lose!).

Pape Gueye now injured and has left the Senegal squad after an mri scan to return to Sevilla.

If it wasn’t for bad luck, we would have no luck at all

2 Likes

Saw the highlights of the Morocco vs. Brazil match. Bono has unfortunately become very prone to errors lately. Hopefully that doesn’t mean a confidence issue and thankfully we have Dmitrovic in top form. However, we’ll need Bono for the league matches as he’s the undisputed starter and mistakes like those he did lately with us or against Brazil last night could be costly for us.

3 Likes

After 27 games we finally get all players back in training, Papu, Rekik and Marcáo being the latest to wave bye-bye to the doctors.

6 Likes

Nice to have a little bit of a cushion as results and scores have / seem to be going our way today.

1 Like

Valencia losing to Almeria and wow… they’re in some DEEP shit right now. they’ll be pretty desperate against us next week.

2 Likes

Ok ladies and gentlemen.

Drumroll please…

Here was our statistical probability of relegation before today’s match:

Still 7% likelihood of relegation.

And now, after today’s three points, here’s where we stand:

1%!!!

Not declaring victory yet, but it would take a pretty disastrous form of play in remaining matches along with some near perfect form from 3-4 of the clubs below us. No declaring victory just yet, but I suspect we’ll look back on the season and see today’s match as the moment we exorcised our demons and got back on the path to the SevillaFC we all know and love.

3 Likes

Another point. Sevilla has been below Real :poop: since August in terms of Soccer Power Index (SPI) rating. We’re now back on top, as of last week.

Never looking back.

4 Likes

And one more table analysis question. If the current table ended up being the final tables of La Liga and La Liga Smartbank…next year we would have a Liga with five (5!) teams from Andalucía.

Spain Sevilla GIF by España Fascinante

Not sure if Almería or Cádiz are breathing easy just yet, but I personally will be rooting for them as soon as Sevilla has a few more points under our belts. Slightly less a fan of Granada, as I feel like there’s some bad blood with SevillaFC, but would be happier for them to come back to La Liga than most other alternatives from Liga Smartbank.

2 Likes

Que vivan los andaluces!

2 Likes

Like most here, I’ve enjoyed seeing Valencia struggle. I’ve seen them as a long time enabler of RM and Barca and a barrier to progress. If they go down, good riddance.

But yesterdays game gave me pause. And I’m interested in what others think. Like them or not, Valencia are one of the teams with widest name recognition, greatest history, and biggest fan base. La Liga in general is losing the war to the EPL (and probably others too). Is it bad for la liga if Valencia goes down? Should we hope they escape and stay up?

I don’t really care if any team goes down or stays up. I just hate to see a club so incredibly mismanaged. It’s bad for the league as a whole when an outside entity can come in a run a club into the ground. Hell, this could be happening to :poop: and I’d still feel bad for the fan base.

4 Likes

La Liga needs to close the gap to the EPL in the states (and virtually everywhere). But the money being flung around in England arguably hurts the sport as a whole I think

3 Likes

Yes indeed but haven’t Sevilla shot in front. Valencia haven’t done much since liga titles in 2003 and 2004 while Sevilla have won half a dozen European cups giving them a lot of international recognition. If Valencia went down it would certainly help them get rid of Lim and come bouncing back.

3 Likes

I don’t particularly mind Valencia. They were the perpetual thorn in the side of the “big 2” back when I first got into Spanish football. Then of course you had Deportivo always making a nuisance of themselves too.

3 Likes