World Cup 2022 Discussion

I missed the Croatia game, but the Belgium match was just unfortunate. Yea, they should’ve gotten at least 1 more pen, but they lacked the quality to breakthrough that defence. A draw would have been more fair, but it’s probably the toughest group in the tournament. No shame there. I’m just glad they made it and got a taste.

3 Likes

I watched all of them so you don’t have to :laughing:, the strangest thing was the disallowed goal of Brazil, Vinicius was offside but came back onside several moves before the pass to him.

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Just like Ecuador v Qatar, the first goal of the tournament, it seems like this weird new automatic technology finding offsides offenses where any normal human ref would never think to call offsides. Personally, I continue to be appalled at the Ecuador offsides call, whereas the Brazil one was mostly just confusing as the ball was rolling around the midfield without an owner for a good while, so it felt hard to know when to say the pass was played.

Gotta be honest, not loving the automated offsides so far, feels like yet another unnecessary way to make football as slow and stilted as other sports. As if the money interests behind the game were trying to slow the game down enough to start adding in commercials like most other major sports

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

1 Like

I hate seeing Ecuador go out because of @RyanMoore but I’m excited to continue seeing the awesome Senegal fans.

Now on to USA. Time to take care of business!!!

4 Likes

Congratulations on making it out of groups. Both groups so far, ended mostly as expected. Senegal beat Ecuador convincingly. and the States getting the second spot behind England. The Netherlands - USA, on the schedule. Honestly you guys can do it, goodluck.

4 Likes

That was ridiculous!

Holy shit En-Nesyri has found his shooting boots. Two goals…well should have ben two goals. Why was that offside?

4 Likes

Bono has been very nervy today.

3 Likes

En-Nesyri having himself a game. Where did that outside of the boot pass come from? haha

3 Likes

Can you finish like that for us please, YEN?

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Sensational endings to these groups man. Incredible.

3 Likes

Way to go Japan! Sensational stuff!

3 Likes

Well done Japan. Throughly deserved beating Germany and Spain!

Germany and Belgium dumped out in the group stages. Extraordinary.

5 Likes

What a tournament so far! Spain better buy a shit load of bananas from CR as thanks.

4 Likes

That was outrageous. pass of the tournament so far.

2 Likes

Well it should now be clear to everyone that VAR is as corrupt as the rest of the game of football. I couldn’t give a damn for Spain or England, just want Germany to lose and now they’re out for the second time running in the first round :rofl: Spain need to dump their goalkeeper and get a bit more vertical in their play but i doubt they can progress much, maybe they don’t pass Morocco.

I’ve enjoyed the football so far, perhaps more than usual.

Not impressed by the female refereeing crew for Germany Costa Rica.

2 Likes

NOW SELL HIM!

2 Likes

Fi7FlYmWIAs-UMU

2 Likes

Looks like Lope-Ball has stuck around for La Roja all these years…

Looks like the kind of dubious honor Sevilla was racking up the last twelve months: possession with no danger.

1 Like

The understandably crazy millimetric Belgium offsides making the rounds is yet another offense to common sense, though still not as bonkers as the Ecuador call (which thankfully didn’t end up impacting the final result, so got a lot less press than it would have). At least the Belgium one is a habitual one that refs have always gotten wrong. The Ecuador offsides is a totally new issue where the computers are finding bizarre technicalities during scrum-like plays with keepers out of their goal, making it almost impossible for players to find the end of a long ball

Looks like with our robot overlords, there will end up being far more 0-0 ties.

Can we all agree that whatever new and fun technology we add to the game, it should be in the direction of MORE goals, not more 0-0 ties and matches decided by olímpico goals and free direct kick goals as the only feasible option to score without being called offside?

One of the real scandals of this world cup. So much VAR and so much offside. If they hadn’t sped up the VAR process, these matches would be having 15-20 minutes of stoppage time instead of 9-10.