What are you in to other than Monchi's Men/SevillaFC?

Luton is literally the biggest shit hole there is. That and Hull.

3 Likes

I don’t have to go there. Hell, I probably won’t even watch a game. I’m just here for the memes.

1 Like

Good shout! When the summer ends I will definitely have read it.

1 Like

That’s awesome, I finish my ms in econ and data science in Dec!

3 Likes

Nice! Good luck finishing up!

2 Likes

Hi Guys,
Jeff here (AKA Los_Americanos).

I am an Anglo/American, married to a New Yorker. We live in the fantastic small city Jerez de la Frontera, which lies about half way between Sevilla and Cadiz. We are both fans of the mighty Sevilla FC, and get to games whenever possible.

I am not particularly sporty, but I do play golf regularly with a great bunch of guys, made up of retired Brits, and active-service Yanks from the navy base at Rota. I inaugurated the July 4th competition at our course, and played with the Admiral of the Spanish Armada and the Skipper of the base that day.

Me and the blonde like to travel on the motorbike and we have visited Portugal and France on many occasions. We are both looking forward to Granada being back in La Liga because that is a great weekend trip for us on the moto for an away game.

I have spent the last couple of summers up a mountain in Andorra to escape the heat of Jerez. I can´t recommend it highly enough: hiking, fly-fishing, cool temperatures, pristine environment, and all very affordable. Definitely worth a visit if you get the opportunity. (I am writing this from an Airbnb apartment in El Tarter).

That´s about it from me chaps. I would like to say that because I don´t know much about football I really enjoy reading everyone´s thoughts on SFC, and of course listening to MM podcast. So thank you all for helping me enjoy and understand the game so much.

Be well and…vamos mi Sevilla!

10 Likes

A few pics from our holiday to Guadacorte recently…

7 Likes

Where are the photos from the top of the peñon Jim??

2 Likes

We didn’t actually get up The Rock this time. In fact we only went into Gibraltar for a nice meal the last evening we was out there (other than flying in and out of course).

2 Likes

I love hiking and when I can combine that with Spain, even more so. A couple days ago I finished the Via de la Plata camino, starting from Sevilla and ending in Santiago de Compostela. Altogether, it was 1007 km. Out of the three Caminos I’ve done, it was definitely the hardest because of the distance between cities, especially in Andalusia and Extremadura. There were quite a few days of 33 to 37 km hikes.

Processing: IMG_0220.jpeg…

6 Likes

I’m planning on doing the Camino Frances next summer.

4 Likes

If there is any way to move the timing… the summer is super busy. You will be racing for beds. We did the Frances with kids in September-October 2018 and it felt like a race then. From what I have gathered is it even worse in the summer and the number of pilgrims have increased a lot.

August is the worst also because there are a lot of Spanish pilgrims who start from Sarria.

5 Likes

unfortunately the only time I can :frowning: I’ll be teaching in Spain and my Visa runs out 3 months after the end of May. I know it will be super busy, but may make for a more people-friendly trip.

4 Likes

How much of that solo and how much with the kids/family? @jdecourcey

Have always dreamed of doing it but can’t imagine enjoying it if I have to deal with the kids, hunger, bathroom needs, sibling fighting, etc

2 Likes

The one I just finished, Via de la Plata, was solo. I also did the Norte solo in Sep-Oct 2019.

Sep-Oct 2018 My wife and I hiked the Frances with 3 out of 4 kids. At the time they were 12, 7, and 6. With them, we would hike around 15 km a day. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. We started in Saint Jean Pied de Port. We hiked the first 170 kms to Navarrete. We skipped the Meseta as the flatness became dull with the kids and we wanted to keep them engaged. We jumped forward to Ponferrada and finished the last 1/4 from there to SdC, about 205 kms. We hiked 375 out of 767 kms. For the Compostela, only the last 100 kms are required, which is why there are so many people starting in Sarria. They are just looking to check the box.

There was a lot of ice cream at the end of the day for the boys. They all got along pretty well and enjoyed interacting with adults along the way. People were super kind and would talk to them which helped break up the day. We did learn to ship two out our five bags forward. It made it easier for the two littles to get the miles in.

4 Likes

Couple years back I did the Central Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago and then to Muxia and to Finesterre (photo) the Roman world’s end to finish it.

My parents did the French one as well from Pamplona and loved it. Portuguese coastal route is more popular compared to central I think, so my experience was really chill and no stress about no hostels nothing. Lovely walk with some nice places in-between like Valença or Barcelos and Ponte de Lima almost forgot. And for the longer walk, people start in Fatima or even more south.

4 Likes

Very cool stuff. My kids are well-travelled, but not avid walkers/hikers, so there’s not much chance we’d hit 100 kms in less than, say, 50 days :joy::joy:

Loved hearing that there’s a Portuguese option, didn’t know about that one, @Enrico . In reality, I still love Spain but Portugal has piqued my interest, both the language and the country/people. My impression is that they’re similar to Spaniards, but without so much need to be in the limelight and (so far, in my experience), far less xenophobia (insert audio clip of Mendilibar’s comments about not playing players who don’t understand Spanish)

3 Likes

I feel very similar in a way Ryan.

If had been living in Spain for about 4 years in the past and absolutely love the country, the different regional cultures it is like a continent itself, it has do much. Generally people are so friendly, but sometimes the pride or bit much idleness or something I don’t know. Feel Portugal is bit less bound to some exterior values or I don’t really know how to put it. But yeah honestly learning Portuguese and going to Portugal would be an interesting thing to consider. As I am still undecided on my future path… and there is always the southern and western european gap in many ways.

2 Likes

A few more, more recent pics with my most favouritest person… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

7 Likes

After my years in Spain, My one year inbetween in Australia is coming to a close, ending with a journey to the north. After that I will probably go to my home country and see from there. Few pics from the start of the trip so far.

6 Likes