UEL SF: Sevilla vs. Man United [2019-20]

UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE — SEMI-FINALS
SEVILLA FC vs. MANCHESTER UNITED

A matchup between two Champions League caliber teams, worthy of the final itself, Sevilla take on Manchester United in a one-off semi-final game.

Deemed by Lopetegui as the “biggest club in the world,” Man Utd has made their name relevant again deep in European competition. A club who’s brand reaches all corners of the globe, they would want to establish this new Solskjær era with some silverware. They had a strong 3rd place finish in the Premier League, having spent most of the season outside the Top 4.

The return from lockdown has prompted the unravelling of one of Europe’s most lethal attacking trios. In addition, United hasn’t failed to score since a February 1st PL meeting against Wolves. With possibly the best winter signing in recent memory, Bruno Fernandes has proved to be the missing piece to United’s attack. Aided by the returns of Rashford & Pogba, we’re witnessing what Ole has been hoping to unearth out of this side. The emergence of Mason Greenwood accounts for this as his goalscoring prowess should put any defender on high alert.

Gudelj was given a hero’s welcome upon making his return to the squad, after overcoming an asymptomatic bout with the coronavirus. This camaraderie within the group has been ever-present in the dressing room & in the stands, as you can always here the subs bench perform as vocal stand-ins for the absent Sevilla supporters. On the field, it’s exemplified by the sacrifice shown in retaining their defensive shape. You will often see players covering for each other to sustain a 4-5-1 block within their own half.

Lopetegui’s approach will be interesting due to the well-known counterattacking ability of the Red Devils. He prefers his sides to have possession, but perhaps may sit deeper and restrict space, in order to force United to be more inventive on the ball. Wan-Bissaka is a great 1v1 defender, while stand-in LB Brandon Williams is inexperienced and a possible liability.

Only Navas, Banega & Vázquez remain from THAT night at Old Trafford, but will Sevilla’s football heritage lift them once again over tonight’s rivals?

https://twitter.com/locampos15/status/1294972522212012032?s=21

#VamosMiSevilla
#APorLaSexta

5 Likes

If it ain’t broke…

3 Likes

No surprise Lopetegui goes with same team. This side has taken us past tricky opponents in Roma and Wolves with 2 clean sheets. Tough match for us but nothing is too much for Sevilla in this competition. We can do it! Vamos Sevilla!

4 Likes

Alright Boys, Ima get my place in a bar with my Sevilla scarf and will be cheering for the boys with some thoughts every now and then. Vamoooos!

4 Likes

Because of no home/away matches and one-off games of the current system, which is similar to WC/EC, I think he is doing the right thing deploying the same winning team over and over. However, I hope that this time around he fields the subs earlier as we definitely need fresher legs and we’ll be totally exhausted for the final even if we go through.

4 Likes

I don’t know what to say, so I’ll just say good luck and vamos mi Sevilla.

3 Likes

We’ll most definitely need quite some luck for this one.

3 Likes

Haven’t been this nervous for a while, only thing I can think of worth mentioning is they are starting De Gea, usually Romero starts for cup matches but Man U usually change to De Gea for the crunch matches, and it has worked out . . . less than satisfactory for them. De Gea’s confidence is pretty shot and has let in a few soft goals, good news then I suppose?

3 Likes

I agree with you on that. Yes, we need to make the changes around 60-65 minute mark. That will allow the players to come on and make an impact and also give some of these starters a rest especially if we advance to the final.

Let’s hope the lads deliver! Vamos!

2 Likes

Yeah I’m surprised they started de gea. I think we need to test him a lot. He’s not the keeper he was and is a bag of nerves. Hopefully we can exploit that.

I’m nervous too as it’s such a big game and not much in this. This is a lot of banter on the boards and twitter too and would be very satisfying to win and knock another English side out. A few Man Utd fans are being arrogant saying this is gonna be easy for them. Would love us to silence them again! Haha

2 Likes

Hard agree on that, Manchester United is in my top 3 of teams I would love to give a smack and send them home!

1 Like

I’ve been thinking, this shouldn’t be too difficult for Sevilla, we are easily good enough, disciplined and organized enough to go through.

Would like to see Suso step up his game, he’s had the time to integrate.

1 Like

It’s hard to be sure, martial, rashford and Bruno Fernandes are players who need a moment and can make a kill. We need to be superb.

Fucking joke penalty!

1 Like

We knew it was coming - Sucks it is this early.

1 Like

Joke of a penalty!

2 Likes

Sod off, he had already shot the bloody thing.

Edit: well there’s the clean sheet gone, but now the pressure and gloves are off.

2 Likes

After he shot… Again falling for it.

1 Like

Where is our midfield? All I keep seeing is 5 Man Utd players against our Defence. No Midfield.

1 Like

Suuuusooooo!!

4 Likes