UEFA Champions League 2022/23 Thread

It was a battle between ex-Sevilla strikers in the PSV-Monaco tie last night: Luuk de Jong vs Ben Yedder.

We are so privileged in La Liga to not have to play qualifiers for the group stage anymore. This matchup was tough. And there’s still one more round after this. :weary:

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @Edinho , such an exciting match from what I can tell in the highlight reel. Really missing both of those strikers right about now. Hoping Monchi has his eyes set on the next big striker.

5 Likes

Lucas Ocampos played for Ajax in UCL today. There’s a sentence I didn’t expect to post when Eddie first opened the thread…

Champions League starting of really well and high level, Lots of goals, decisive victories. Sometimes it’s very reserved.

What a team Napoli are. Absolutely destroyed Liverpool that first half.

If only we could be half as good.

Sublime from Napoli! Let’s all laugh at Loserpool! :joy:

1 Like

Sensational ending for Atletico man. 90+11 scoring the corner after conceding in the 90+6… madness and getting ahead only in the 90+1.

2 Likes

Atletico with some strong ‘Nunca se Rinde’ attitude there - hats off to them. That’s how it should be done, every single minute counts in the pitch.

Unlike our players that have ‘Surrendered’ written all over their foreheads before the match starts. You can see it in their eyes that they don’t believe in winning or doing well anymore.

3 Likes

Kim Min Jae is a real beast, a pity Monchi goes for Marcao instead of him.

RB Leipzig sign Marco Rose as their new head coach, just one day after parting with Domenico Tedesco.

The rumour in Germany was that Tedesco had bought himself a stay of execution by winning the DFB Pokal, but that the club we’re ready to move in from him as he wasn’t seen as a long-term appointment.

Speaking of, remember how last week the narrative of how all the Spanish teams except Sevilla won in Europe? After Barça and Patético losses today, I’m crossing my fingers for Leipzig to surprise RM, allowing Sevilla to flip the narrative and be the only Spanish team winning in UCL (perhaps even in Europe if :poop:, Sociedad and Villarreal get very unlucky against some quite humble adversaries). Normally I root for LaLiga sides in Europe, but I’d also love to get some headlines of Sevilla rising above the rest. We could really use the confidence boost

What kind of sad way to get the spotlight, is that. You want others to extremely underperform? Sevilla should look at theirselves and if they give Copenhagen a masterclass and beat them 0-5. Then the papers will be full of it as well. Deservedly atleast. I guess you prefer fake confidence.

What a night in Champions. Barca are out, Atletico out.
I believe Sevilla have a mathematical chance with a 9 goal reversal and if that’s true then at least we reached the final game and got further than the money-baggers of Barcelona.

1 Like

H2H counts so we’re officially in EL first knockout round after GS.

2 Likes

Just goes to show that it’s not only us who have struggled in the Champions League. All Spanish sides, including two of the big three in La Liga have.

Maybe that shows, with the exception of Real who continue to dominate in Spain and Europe, that La Liga currently isn’t what it once was and that’s it hard to compete with the money of the EPL for instance.

Cheers to Club Brugge, been dominating their domestic league for quite a while and finally showed up on the big stage. Also for the Portugese teams, love it when these teams perform and tell the world having the cash to spunk around doesn’t mean automatic success.

4 Likes

Copenhagen filed an official complaint about the treatment of their visiting supporters to the RSP. Seemingly were brute and inhospitably received in Sevilla.

Very disappointed to hear this, we are not able to be as well mannered and return the favour to them. Where our fans got served free beers in Copenhagen.

As a club, this is another image damaging event. Just like us Copenhagen are doing not so hot in the league and are in a tiny crisis as well. But some humanity por favor… you get something you give something or at least put an effort into a good reception.

4 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/SevillaFC/comments/yfhzom/worst_away_trip_ever/

1 Like

Their main complaint was the police body searches, SFC have no control over that. But I’m with you that our supporters could have made a friendly gesture, possibly they did, who knows.

2 Likes

Well Spanish police is in fact nasty. But Sevilla as a club could have organized something, not just supporters. The club is colaborating with some Korean Tapas soon for their own fans soon. Let us know how that one turned out. But Copenhagen definitely deserved something.

1 Like