Thoughts on Sevilla's Title Chances

Our title dream is over. However, it’s been an amazing season. We still have a chance to beat our record 76 points haul. I’m pulling for atletico to win the title race now. I think atletico win it if they avoid defeat at Barca.

Hopefully we can throw a spanner in real Madrids title hopes :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

This.

1 Like

Agreed Mark

3 Likes

If we beat Real Madrid, and Atlético v Barca is a draw this is still on.

3 Likes

Let’s face it, we never had a chance to begin with.
Sure, our finishing was horrendous against Bilbao, but we can’t expect to win the title when we play against 12 men week in and week out. It’s corrupt, that penalty should have been given, but no, why would it be when it lowers the chances of Madrid or Barcelona winning the league. Hell, I will admit that against Atleti those weeks ago, when we scored, but after the Ocampos handball… sure, I didn’t complain then, but we knew that one of the main reasons it wasn’t called is because it would benefit the two active super league clubs if it wasn’t. If that same exact goal happens against Barcelona or Real, you know it would have been called back. Refs have screwed us over here as well, as to benefit the super league clubs.

On the plus side, we should be able to reach that 76 point mark, which would be monumental.

4 Likes

I didn’t watch the full match, when was there a penalty shout and what was it for?

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m just saying if that was Madrid or Barcelona that’s a penalty

1 Like

Of course, all the time!

1 Like

I’ll be watching Sevilla v Real this weekend with the hopes that a Sevilla win followed by 3 more match days of mayhem, and we can still hold onto hope.

5 Likes

Same!

4 Likes

Match is lost already

1 Like

I think regardless of the result with us Real Madrid aren’t winning the title. They look slow, old and burnt out. They got a lot of injuries too. Plus even if they beat us they got a tough run in of games after.

The Barca v atletico match will decide the title in my view. Atletico being the favourites.

1 Like

If Barca beats Atletico and RM beats us, then RM will be first and the title will be theirs to lose from then on. With Florentino, RFEF and VAR, never say never!

1 Like

We will see but I don’t see Barca beating atletico! Atletico provided they play a decent game should get at least get a draw or win. Plus atletico last 3 games are all very winnable. I say they get 9 points from them. Therefore it just the Barca match they have to overcome.

Plus from our point of view we should want atletico to win! As it will deflate Real Madrid before our match a bit. Their title hopes will be virtually over and after champions league exit they will be dejected. Plus gives us a better chance of staying near to Barca or real in table.

1 Like

Let’s be real tho… all refs are bad.

3 Likes

This season I think we can best call it as the “if” season.

What if we didn’t lose to Bilbao the other day?
What if we held on to the in against Madrid?
What if we had beaten Eibar, Bilbao (again) or Granada during that run of poor form?
What if we didn’t lose to Elche?
What if we didn’t concede that second goal thirty seconds left in the second leg against Barça?

It hurts me to see that one or two losses that we should’ve been able to win in the league and poor defending in the cup has cost us a season of serious silverware.

Who knows if we’ll be able to push Barça, Atleti, or Madrid next year? This could’ve been the once and a lifetime miracle but due to mistakes has cost us.

Sorry if this was random I was just thinking

7 Likes

That spell in October really done for us. And the Dortmund CL loss really set us on a bad 3-4 weeks. We are a team like that unfortunately, on form we can go 15-20 games unbeaten. But as soon as the confidence takes a knock we tend to lose our way for 3 or 4 games.

6 Likes

I feel this season will help toughen us up though. Those setbacks will make us stronger. Got to go through those difficult times to rise to the top. It’s still only season 2 of this hopefully long term project with monchi back and lopetegui.

We just need to keep the core of the squad together and strengthen in the appropriate areas. We aren’t far away at all. Plus I think the lack of rest probably hurt us as well. Since June 2020 we been virtually non stop football for 11 months. The break in summer will help us reset too.

3 Likes