The Battle in the Boardroom

Interesting article in The Athletic:

4 Likes

Unfortunately it’s paid content. Thanks for the link and info.

1 Like

It’s a fabulous article. In summary, Sevilla’s positive financial numbers (profit of 1 million Euros in a coronavirus year on 217.7 Million Euros in revenue) and Monchi’s business model made them attractive to potential outside investors (an American investment group called 777 Partners) who saw this as a blueprint for implementing at other futbol teams. They think that Sevilla’s revenue earning potential isn’t being achieved because of lack of stadium VIP boxes and poor marketing. They bought roughly 13 percent into Sevilla to gain a board seat. The board member, Andrez Blazquez, caused even more termoril in an already combative board room because of the Castro vs Del Nido feud. Anyway long story short, Blazquez was booted and 777 is on the outside looking in. They are trying to get both the Castro group and the Del Nido group to sell their shares so 777 could take over.

“Look, it has been a very long journey,” Arciniegas says. “We’ve been buying shares, but it has been difficult, there is no one controlling party to have a conversation with about selling the club. And to make matters worse, there’s a lot of parties that do not like each other. So it is difficult to bring everybody to the table, to have a common goal and a common project.”

“There are a lot of personalities, family tensions,” says Arciniegas. “We are just focused on finding the ability to drive the club to a much safer and sustainable financial position. That is all we want to do.”

7 Likes

This Arciniegas guy is with 777 Partners?

So the moral of the story is, it’s quite difficult to own Sevilla the way that Peter Lim owns Valencia for example - or am I missing something?

3 Likes

God I hope an American company doesn’t get controlling interest in Sevilla. When American businesses own something profits go up and the soul evaporates.

7 Likes

As a fellow American I can second this notion

7 Likes

Correct “Colombia-born Juan Arciniegas leads 777 Partners’ sports, media and entertainment vertical”

Here is a link for a free 30 day guest pass. It’s only good for the first 5 to click it.
https://theathletic.com/gp/hc2d6smor5

3 Likes

https://www.marca.com/futbol/sevilla/2021/10/11/6164525722601db0338b460b.html?fbclid=IwAR2LH3N9YEa935UHDvr5WIDN1R7CJL_tR9SEC5kJB1el8YaVgSUGU19B6rQ

Statement from Castro on the upcoming board meeting.

3 Likes

I don’t get why Del Nido would try to f it all up.

Is it jealousy as Castro has achieved as much as him if not more?

3 Likes

yeah probably like that, as the club is growing to quite a high point, from a business perspective, ofcourse he wants to gain a part in it. So he’s looking for the americans to help.

2 Likes

Wants his status back, even thought I recall the fans yelling at him to go before his tax mess.

I wonder what kind of relationship the son and father have at this point. It can’t be a good situation.

1 Like

Read another article today that talked about Castro’s hand in all of this and how he was the one that brought the Americans to the boardroom in the first place. Also the article talked about the team buying back the shares that the fans had.

@Brian, @TimSpence2 , @sevilla_spurs Do you guys have any history about the buy back and why that happened? Do any fans control shares now?

1 Like

I’ve been looking for Sevilla shares for years, I thought they just didn’t sell those to the public. Would be nice to ‘own’ that fraction of the club, solely for bragging rights

I agree with those Americans about marketing. Sevilla is lacking quality, fun edits and interviews (and if they’ve got it it’s Spanish only) compared to PL teams and the likes of Barca, Real Madrid and Ajax. If they would invest into that social media content area a bit more I believe Sevilla can attract a lot more fans from abroad.

4 Likes

I think we can all agree on that!

2 Likes

Del Nido talks. It’s all about money with him. He even states that he is in favor of the Super League and would join it if given the opportunity.

2 Likes

He also states from the annual loss of 41m. And that we went from a total positive of 25m in our casket, till somewhere around 80m in debts (loans, banks and other clubs) at this point. Considering from some of our spendings, loss of income from all sources due to covid and everything. It could be not far of the truth. In the relative scheme it’s still not terrible. But this is what I was afraid off that they are digging to deep to force themselves to keep up with the Big three, despite just about making it in there in the first place
 The other thing is his son, working together with Castro is basically discarded from the Family, speaks of such a bad relation doesn’t add a lot of strength to it. We’ll find out soon enough.

3 Likes

Del Nido can do one!

que?

1 Like

Go away.

Piss off.

Jump off a cliff.

“Disappear.”

2 Likes

haha yes that! F that guy. I have a bad feeling though that the collusion is going to fuck us up.

1 Like