Summer 2022 Transfers Conversation

The Sevilla board have trousered the money and kept it to themselves. There is something fishy going on behind the scenes and del nido and his son are very much in the picture too. Definitely some shady business happening and sadly Monchi appears to have lost his touch a bit.

Certainly all isn’t right and definitely damage down between the board, lope and players.

2 Likes

We have to remember this team lost 40 million dollars a year ago. The conspiracy theories can be dangerous. Maybe this summer was just about getting back even.

3 Likes

Excuse me?

Agree but I think we rushed the DC sale because the money in EPL makes me dizzy, the English leagues spent €2,200m while la liga Española spent €500m.
If we’d got more for DC it would suppose still more for Koundé.

Without a doubt. Fleeced every single sell.

I mean, yes and no. CB sales, CB buys and Isco were all clearly plotted in advance, and then the rest was all just opportunistic. I think that’s pretty much how Monchi has always rolled, right? Have a few key buys ready and then see what the market delivers. I just think EPL as making it harder than it used to be to buy anything opportunistically

1 Like

This actually has me a bit worried. Last nights performance gave some indications of positive play, but now it is actually the finances that are troubling me. Apparently we are in a financial pickle and who do we have in the current squad with a massive resale-value? If it does become a mediocre season and we crash and burn in the Champions League are we in for a summer transfer-window like some of those from earlier seasons where we almost changed the whole team because Monchi is forced to get what money he can and invest them “opportunistically”? It’s just not the same market anymore with the massive amounts of money from EPL disrupting it all…

2 Likes

This was so foreseeable for about the last 15 years too… A league that structurally only permitted the top 2.5 teams from meaningly competing is simply not nearly as interesting or marketable to watch than a league where the number teams with a real shot is closer to 7.

I’ll never forgive Barca and RM for keeping the rest of the league in a financial stranglehold (with Atleti serving role as chief enabler) over the TV revenue deals for decades… I’ve actually lost track, what is the split these days? But largely, the damage was done and baked in, losing viewership to the EPL in a way where that momentum has built over time.

Maybe some slightly encouraging recent efforts to try and engage English/global markets, but it could very well prove too little too late.

Anyway, rant over.

3 Likes

Looks like the way things were structured last year, RM and Barca were equivalent to the top teams in EPL but they got over 10% of the total whereas top teams in EPL still get under 6%. We were 4th and got 87. Last place in EPL got 97. Last in La Liga got 47. Not sure if there are other factors I’m overlooking here as well…

Obviously, there is a lot of inequity built in here even if this is actually considerably better than it used to be.

1 Like

We have been linked with Zagadou and Denayer, both free agents and haven’t trained in pre-season with a club, so clearly not match fit… but they could help in the CB department as we are very thin there.

Denayer can also play as a DM.

2 Likes

Kolodziejczak in the rumor list as well. If Monchi has to make a choice, hopefully it is Denayer.

Can we still sign players?

1 Like

Not interested in the former, absolute car crash in defense and it must mean something if Dortmund were willing to let him go at such a young age.

The latter is exactly the one we need, actually am surprised he is still available after leaving Lyon on his own terms, we’re talking about a potential starter for the Belgium national team here so he must want to prove himself, Sevilla still promises around 3 match days in continental competition so he should be interested.

What’s stupid is that we took this long to be linked with him, as you mentioned he left July 1st and has had no pre-season whatsoever, so he will need at least two to three weeks to build up match fitness.

Even more baffling is why Monchi and co were so eager to go for Januzaj than this guy. I chuckled a bit at his interview, yeah so you’re 27 and in your “prime”, you also were allowed to leave Sociedad after failing to compete for a place with Portu who himself is now loaned out, a 36 year old David Silva and Oyarzabal who was injured for most of the season. He also plays best in the most congested area of the team - right wing. Show some prime form and maybe play on the left for starters?

2 Likes

Januzaj was totally a mistake, and I really doubt he’ll contribute anything to the team. You never know in football and he might get in a good form here, but I never liked his performances even when he was in top-form mind you. Plus I consider Ocampos to be at least 3-4 times better than him, so yeah…

Rumors have it that Denayer is Monchi’s favorite among the 3 rumors, and it makes sense as Denayer has the most quality out of them + can cover for DM when needed.

His heading abilities on set pieces are awesome, plus he is an intelligent defender who positions himself well and understands certain tactics.

We should get him asap - rehabilitate him and have him back to a good form soon.

2 Likes

Out of the window, the RDT rumours coming to an end, he will join Rayo Vallecano for 8+3m variables. Good buy for them.

And a trip to the hospital for his agent haha.

1 Like

What on earth are Leicester city doing up there on 153m just below Real Madrid?
Their ground only holds 32,000 and they haven’t won more than 3 or 4 trophies in 60 years. They won la liga in 2016 and apart from that their highest finish was 2nd in 1928. 3 league cup wins (that’s the on that nobody wants), reached 1 uefa semi final, 1 champions quarter final and have qualified for European competitions 7 times in their entire history.

Obviously they are pulling strings.

2 Likes

and have somehow managed to have a worse start than us to open the season.

1 Like

Denayer is an interesting one. He’s usually the left-sided option in a centre back pairing, so he’d be competing with Rekik first off. He’s also touted for his ability to stay on his feet and not dive into tackles, but he’s also notes as a good progressive passer. Nianzou was also considered to have good progressive passing, but after his recent performance, maybe he needs to work on his basic passing, particularly when under pressure… Also I don’t know if this team needs a progressive passer when they barely progress over the half way line… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly. I don’t think Nianzou will develop a lot under Lope. He’s similar to Kounde but still different and needs a more proactive role, not simply sitting back and defending in a defensive system.

I honestly think Kounde will develop 10x in Barca and grow into a world class defender in 1-2 seasons. He’d never be able to do that here with Lope.