Sevilla v Real Betis - Match Comments

Originally published at: http://monchismen.com/sevilla-v-real-betis-match-comments/

It is a day of firsts! Sevilla’s first league game of 2018; the first Gran Derbi of the season; the first taste of what this means for our summer signings; and last but not least, Vincenzo Motella’s first game in charge of his team at the iconic Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan. The term ‘baptism of fire’ gets used quite a lot, but today will surely be just that.

Now as we all know, even fairly routine Sevilla games are almost impossible to predict. And a general rule of thumb for local and fierce derby matches around the world is, “don’t even look at the form table, as it means nothing”. So we won’t, which for us is just as well, because we have been pretty woeful of late. How much of that poor form was down to Berizzo and a broken dressing room/team spirit, only time will tell…

Today though is a perfect time to look ahead. Yet another new beginning (we are getting used to those), and hopefully the start of a long and prosperous reign for Montella and Maresca, with silverware never far away. Realistically it will be very hard to emulate the glory of the past 10 years or so. With the added pressure of the reigns of Juande Ramos and Unai Emery still fresh in the memory, the benchmark as to which all new coaches will be judged on has been well and truly set. Montella may not equal their success with trophies, but the level of hard work, intensity and exciting football that helped bring us that glory is now the bare minimum that passionate Sevillistas expect.

Montella’s pre-match press conferences have showed that he is in no doubt what is expected of him tonight.

"All of the players and coaches live for these experiences. From my first meeting with the president, I understood what this derby meant.

“I recently went out in the city for dinner and many people told me we have to win so I know the importance.”

Interestingly, ex coach Sampaoli was present at our final training session yesterday, so whatever words of wisdom and experience he has passed on I am sure would have been greatly welcomed.

So tonight, :poop: have the advantage of going into the game with no pressure at all, and will probably sit back and let Sevilla have the ball. All the pressure is on us, and with the new coach no one is really sure what to expect from us as regards formation, or tactics. So wisely I would suspect :poop: will wait and see what we have to throw at them before deciding what they will throw back at us, with a cagey first half going in at 0-0 a very real prospect. The only certainty before the match is emotions and tensions will be running high in the stands and on the pitch, and which team deals best with that pressure will likely be the one who comes out on top.

Montella was also quoted as saying “:poop: are the favorites” to win! One presumes this is just a classic Jedi mind trick to ensure our players don’t become complacent, whilst attempting to lure their players into a false sense of security. If the players are complacent then I am sure the home fans will ensure they know all about it when they step out on to the turf under the lights, with the Himno blasting out.

So in this day of ‘firsts’ that is not the day we witness the first derbi win for :poop: in La Liga since 2012! If we play the way we know we can then we will keep our proud dominant record intact, but as ever my fellow Sevillistas, please fasten your seat-belts as things could get a little bumpy!

Team News

In the 18 man squad there is no room for Ganso, who I wouldn’t be surprised to see back in Brazil before the end of January, and only two out and out strikers to choose from in Ben Yedder and Muriel. Apart from that we have a fairly strong team to choose from, and I suspect we will rely heavily on the experience of Banega, Navas and Nolito in order to come away with the three points and bragging rights. As expected N’Zonzi is available to play again, and it will be interesting to see if he can rise above the pressures surrounding him and put in a performance we know he is capable of.

How do you suspect Montella will line us up tonight?

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions below

¡Vamos mi Sevilla!

Vamos Sevilla! Huge match for us! This is the start of a new era! Good cup win to boost the confidence and give Montella his first win in charge!

We need to show what we made of. Big month ahead on and off pitch. Need to get the crucial league points to stay in touch with the top 4 and also need to sign some top players to bolster the squad!

1 Like

yeah, Valencia beat Girona 2-1 earlier today, so from that point of view 3 points are even more vital tonight

1 Like

Pizarro out due to injury so Geis will probably step in, Montella can win our hearts and get off to flying start by winning the Gran Derbi, make it happen!

1 Like

An important match this one. Montella’s opportunity to win our hearts as KIR mentioned. I hope the players are 100% ready for this one, as this is a MUST win game.

I would expect the following formation:

Rico

Mercado - Kjaer - Lenglet - Escudero

Banega - N'Zonzi
                   Mudo

Sarabia/Navas Nolito

Muriel/WBY

Not sure if Geis will be on this one, even though wouldn’t be a bad idea to test his skills in the midfield in a hot derby night like this.

VAMOS MI SEVILLA!!! VAMOS CAMPEON!!!

Oops… the official formation was announced a couple of minutes ago and it goes like this:

Rico

Corchia - Kjaer - Lenglet - Escudero

Banega - N’Zonzi - Mudo

Navas - WBY - Nolito

A 4-3-3 as shown by Flashscore, or a 4-3-2-1 with Banega and N’Zonzi as DM/CM and Mudo as AM.

Not bad. It seems that Mercado has fallen out of favor with the new coach, as he doesn’t like very defensive minded RB’s. Will be curious to see how he will approach tough away games.

Let’s win this one and keep RSP an unconquered fortress!

I hope leaving Sarabia out doesn’t end up being a mistake.

Me too bro, but a good option from the bench if we need him, Correa and MKD also

This Banega-Vázquez tandem gets another go, but should work better with a player like Nzonzi backing them. Welcome back Steven. Let’s hope the crowd will be kind to you. And watch out for Guardado.

¡VAMOS MI SEVILLA!

Oh fuck off

Unbelievable start, they took us by surprise

Now let’s destroy them!

VAMOS!!!

WBY!!!

Dirty ball by Escudero

Awful marking by Kjaer

crazy game

1 Like

Kjaer Redemption

We’ve got them pinned against wall. Crush them FFS

1 Like

Crazy first half. Lots of fun!

2 Likes

Crazy game indeed. I expected a similar game vs. Setien’s Betis to be honest. Rico and the defense a bit shaky, otherwise our defense to attack transition seems smoother with Montella. Could be Betis’s weak defense, but both teams are running a lot, and a lot of dynamism shown in the field from both sides.

We should be able to win this if we don’t concede any other silly goal/s.

I’m liking the Escudero that gets involved a lot in the middle. Also Corchia running channels non stop, and Navas finally making some intelligent crosses/long passes.

We’re better than the green bastards and we can win this.

VAMOSSSSSSSSS!!!

2 Likes

What a half. Thoroughly enjoyed that! Both teams playing their part. Great attacking play from both teams. Betis started better but we dominated the closing stages of the 1st half.

An exciting derby. Lots of fun but let’s hope we keep attacking the way we are but try to defend better. Credit to betis too though, they playing well. It’s great to see 2 teams go at it and play attractive and exciting footy!

Vamos Sevilla!

1 Like