Random happenings around Europe

Bayer Leverkusen… 37 Games, 32 Wins, 5 Draws, 0 Losses in all Competitions this season.

And as many of you know I have been a fan of theirs since 1997. I’ve seen the heartache of losing the Bundesliga Title on the last day on Goal Difference after a 2-0 loss to Unterhaching (who?), I’ve seen the pain of being on for a Treble and winning nothing! This HAS to be the year to win something… No better chance than having second tier Fortuna Düsseldorf in the Semi Final, then Relegation threatened Second Tier 1. FC Kaiserslautern or mid table third tier Saarbrucken in the Final. :eyes::eyes::eyes:

6 Likes

Spectacular season from Bayer Leverkusen so far indeed.

3 Likes

Bayer Leverkusen about ten minutes or so from ending 11 years of Bayern München dominance in die Bundesliga! :wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Shame the Players don’t get their hands on the Meisterschale for another 5 weeks yet.

6 Likes

Congrats, huge accomplishment for the Werkself. :clap:

6 Likes

When not Neymar or Bruno Fernandes take the stutter penalty but Budimir… yehhh

1 Like

Number of teams who have won each league during the 21st Century.

Discuss.

2 Likes

Looking like LaLiga may not have a single Spanish team in European Semis… neither UEL nor UCL nor Conference.

2 Likes

RM the only ones carrying the flag of La Liga :worried:

1 Like

Ugh, the worst of all outcomes. Would gladly have kept any other team there…even Man City would have been preferable over RM

1 Like

Mendilibar is the only manager with a chance to hoist a European trophy two years in a row.

• 2022/23: Europa League champions with us.
  • 2023/34: Conference League semis with Olympiacos

Not bad for a man who managed his first European match last year!

As an added bonus, he can stick it to Monchi in the next round :wink:

3 Likes

Happy to cheer on Mendilibar, but can’t say I have more loyalty to him over Monchi. I’ve taken on Aston (Se)Villa as a second team these days. Granted, Dibu Martinez is a hard pill to swallow, but otherwise enjoying watching Monchi’s success.

5 Likes

I’m going to have to disagree. But I’ve never liked clubs being bought out by massive investors that don’t care in the same way as fans

3 Likes

Aston Villa with Unai Emery and Lenglet losing 2 to 4 against the Olympiakos of Mendilibar and Iborra. Wild!

6 Likes

After the AC Milan fans had a Nopetegui petition fending him off, and even his name going around in Bayern Munchen. Julen has found a new home in West Ham. Good Luck to the Hammers.

5 Likes

So, in the end, European finals:

2 German, 2 Italian, 1 Spanish, 1 Greek.

Not a Premiership team in sight. And Real Madrid snuck in by the skin of their teeth. And even in semifinals, among 12 teams…only 1 English team and 1 Spanish team…

Who are the best leagues these days… clearly not just a question of money, thankfully. Hard to say there’s not a clear correlation with money, but it doesn’t guarantee you going deep into Europe.

3 Likes

Goes to show that football is still a team sport! The way of throwing money at superstars and hoarding talents does not always result in a great TEAM.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Ludelui_/status/1788678187163004988?t=6TtJSIGCYcchLvsuuJYByA&s=19

Mendilibar, proving once again that football is a simple sport in spite of all the people determined to make it seem like it isn’t.

2 Likes

In better news, Deportivo La Coruña is back. Or atleast back on the way up, after staying down a bit too long. Yesterday beat Barca B with a goal from good old Lucas Perez securing the title.

6 Likes

Málaga is also in the playoff to come back up

4 Likes