Opinions on Sampaoli's SevillaFC

Same here, I think he’s not concerned about his reputation or that it’s one of the tougher managerial challenges out there, it’s simply about finishing the job he started; he signed for something around 3 seasons and the team did well enough in spite of the gulf in quality with Real and Barca.

He only left because the Argentine NT spot was open and he had the chance to coach prime Messi for the world cup, that endeavor didn’t pan out in the end with doubtful callups like Meza and a last 16 exit but you don’t pass up a chance like that.

5 Likes

He came in through Lisbon at least 13 hours maybe 17 hours travel, the first thing he said as he rolled down the passenger door window, ‘long journey’. Straight to the stadium, signed the contract, posed for photos, spoke to the players and watched them train and finally a 40 minute interview on the turf of RSP totally coherent and relaxed. I would have been spitting feathers without a Cruzcampo.

Exciting times ahead.

2 Likes

Thought I would quickly login while out on the Black Sea watching out for the Russians. We have a few Spanish lads on-board and they got excited this morning so it got me excited :joy: But I am Very happy with this, be good to have some positive football again. When ever I got the chance to see highlights I just felt flat afterwards. Never thought I could get more flat than freezing in the Black Sea but hey. We have some good news for a change. :clap:

4 Likes

Press conference with Sampaoli first, Monchi and Castro next.
Sampaoli ‘I came because I trust the directive’
Sampaoli ‘I haven’t asked for any players’

2 Likes

It’s so funny how much bull shit gets spread by fans and the media. Especially with how tight-lipped this team is to the outward world.

1 Like

What I gleaned from the presser was fairly impressive despite some of the awkward questions. When Sevilla approached Sampaoli he sent them an analysis of the squad to show he was already on top of the situation.

When they gave him 18 hours to make up his mind he said yes because being a football manager is about taking the opportunities.

I did detect a bit of distance between Monchi and Castro but just family stuff after working together for 28 years.

When asked if the club has money to buy in the winter transfer market, Castro insisted that Sevilla are an ambitious club and money would be available if needed.

The ‘if needed’ seemed a bit ambitious to me.

2 Likes

I saw something from Del Nido yesterday saying that there wasn’t any money left in the coffers for any signings in Jan. But then again he would not be trying to stir things up would he?
The December shareholders meeting will make things clearer we hope.

3 Likes

Exciting developments ahead if the board supports Sampaoli as much as possible and if Jorge succeeds in transforming the team morale and system of play quickly enough.
European place is achievable with the right work in January transfer market and with the more effective use of current squad, imo.

Tough opening task today v third-placed Bilbao, not expecting miracles but a much more positive approach and better organisation would be much appreciated…

2 Likes

Y’all thought this graph series was done, didn’t you? Well, you were wrong! We’ve started our climb back into relevance yesterday. What are your thoughts?

3 Likes

How long before he has to sit out a game?
2 Matches in charge = 2 yellow cards so far. :wink:

1 Like

The climb back to relevancy continues! 3 points over the weekend. Hopefully 3 more on Tuesday!

1 Like

Sampaoli finally says the quiet part out loud at today’s press conference:

RAFA MIR IS THE TYPE OF PLAYER THAT LOOKS MORE AT THE GOAL THAN AT HIS TEAMMATES

And then later in his response, in which the questioner quoted Rafa Mir as saying he wanted to become that goalscorer of years past again:

I THINK IT’S IMPOSSIBLE FOR A PLAYER TO LOOK TO THE PAST TO GET SOMETHING BACK IN THE PRESENT

Glad to hear (implicitly) that Rafa Mir will be packing his bags this winter.

3 Likes

Condolences to @Enrico

and this fella: https://twitter.com/RafaMirADormir

Why is that the quiet part? It’s the most obvious thing ever. Of course his focus is on the goal, that’s the player he is, no one ever denied that. He’s an end station of an attack, that knows goddamn well how to finish he showed and saved our asses enough times last year too with his goals.

As a finisher he’s, 10 classes above any other player we have. If Sampaoli looks for versatile Ben Yedder type, I’m fine with that. Rafa Mir will score where he goes next, and they put trust in him, that he never has gotten here in Sevilla, you will see.

2 Likes

Also pointing to the past, in the young career path of a player with potential, that’s ambitious and only focused on improving is a non argument from Jorge. Especially since, Jorge is in control of his destiny, that makes it for Rafa Mir impossible to again become topscorer, Jorge could field him 38 games if he wanted. So the statement is really worthless… He doesn’t like Rafa Mir, that’s okay.

A manager can kill off any players ambitions, at a club. If after a first season with 13 goals you say, well you’re never playing again. Good luck trying to get better stats.

Drogba scored about 4 goals a season at the start of his carreer. If the manager at that point said You’re not going to improve on that the past won’t help you get something better in the present. And never field him again, it could have ended right there. His career would have gone different.

Or if Spurs did the same thing with Modric after a bad first season, to throw him in the garbage, to miss out on one of the best midfielders ever.

1 Like

I like Rafa Mir personally. The man has actually shown he can finish. He just wasn’t given the chance to do it on a consistent basis under Lope.

I’d take him any day over YEN who since his first season for us has offered very little.

1 Like

Oh heaven forbid a striker wants to score goals ffs.

Find the Rafa hate on here odd too. He has always given his all for the club, just been shafted much as others have by the bullshit system they were forced to play in well past its sell by date.

2 Likes

My feelings for Rafa Mir is a Katy Perry song.

I kissed a girl and I liked it?

2 Likes

Jim I don’t see much hate just big doubts about Mir, I for one give him the benefit of doubt, his last game for the Under 23s in Japan Olympics he scored 4 coming on as sub. Then he came to Sevilla and … damp squib.

But

That is so true, they’ve all suffered under the system, as I said before there was no personal development under Dopeytegui, some suffered more than others, look at Jordan and Lamela, they have gone backwards, in fact who has improved, nobody apart from Carmona.

2 Likes