Opinions on Lopetegui's Sevilla

I went to this game and remember it like yesterday
Lopetegui, please watch this.

2 Likes

I remember this one very clearly, mostly because of the circumstances when I watched it live on TV.

It was an end of high school summer trip in Durres, Albania and I was literally the only one cheering for Sevilla at the top of my lungs the whole time in the place where the match was shown. There were about 7-8 RM fans and most of the others were neutral but then joined on the Sevilla side after the second goal (as always with neutral fans lol).

It was probably one of the best games of Sevilla… full of passion and determination to win. Missed a ton of chances too but Casillas was in god-mode back then so couldn’t do much about it.

3 Likes

Perotti just calmly stroked in an easy goal and Casillas had no right to get to that.
That blew Perotti’s confidence clean out of the water, start of his downfall.

3 Likes

Both those matches were amazing. The atmosphere was incredible and give me goosebumps watching on tv. That era we had such an exciting team to watch and a full array of attacking options.

We could have beaten them about 4/5 - 1 had we been a bit more clinical. I crave for a team like that against that was exciting and full of passion.

2 Likes

In the 2006/07 game we tore into Barcelona in the last 15 minutes, none of Lope’s defending a one goal lead. (Just getting a pre-season dig in).

In 2005/6 we won the first UEFA 4-0 on the 10th of May, on the 13th of May we played Barcelona at home, a game postponed from week 34, and won 3-2. On the 16th of May we played the scheduled week 38 game against Real Madrid and won 4-3.

What an end to a season.

We went on to win the Supercopa 3-0 against Barcelona in August.

4 Likes

https://www.marca.com/futbol/sevilla/2022/07/03/62c1e2a4e2704edc548b45be.html

Any thoughts? The idea that the injuries this season was a normal amount seemed absurd to me. However, it should be an easy question to answer empirically. Anyone think they can run those numbers in moneyball fashion? If anyone has their data shop running those numbers it should be Monchi’s, but who knows whether they have taken moneyball from recruiting into medical. If they haven’t already, they certainly should.

Hoping this is a good sign that next year we’ll have less injuries, but hell if I know the first thing about medical shops in a professional football club.

1 Like

I think it was Tim that mentioned something about the main medical staff leaving 2 seasons ago, not sure. It’s a good sign now as the medical team was definitely one of the factors for those injuries and long recuperation times.

1 Like

This was the medical staff that left. They all took off for PSG but came back a year and a half later, so, all the theories about the staff kinda got really confusing haha

Who’s ready for more graphs!!! We’re adding a new line next Friday!!!
the dark knight joker GIF by hero0fwar

2 Likes

Can’t wait for more lope ball graphs. Hopefully it grows exponentially in the positive direction :wink:

3 Likes

Injury Graph: Amount of first team players that are excluded from the selection due to injury every matchday.

Maybe a stupid idea, also don’t know how easy these numbers are to find, but I am a bit curious to see if the correlation between gain of points and peaks of players injured. Especially after the season we had last year.

2 Likes

Yep on Transfermrkt I think or maybe footballref

2 Likes

Where’s the new graph Steve @sterusebn ?

1 Like

I can’t get google docs to reverse the y-axis and so i can’t do a meaningful graph, isn’t @sterusebn good at graphing? :grin:

Season End Position Manager
2002 8 Caparros
2003 10 Caparros
2004 6 Caparros
2005 6 Caparros
2006 5 Juande Ramos
2007 3 Juande Ramos
2008 5 Jimenez
2009 3 Jimenez
2010 4 Jimenez-Alvarez
2011 5 Alvarez-Manzano
2012 9 Marcelino-Michel
2013 9 Michel-Emery
2014 5 Emery
2015 5 Emery
2016 7 Emery
2017 4 Sampaoli
2018 7 Berizzo-Montella
2019 6 Machin-Caparros
2020 4 Lopetegui
2021 4 Lopetegui
2022 4 Lopetegui
5 Likes

Lopetegui is the most consistent in league results so far from all the managers since 2002. However, 4th place today is much better than 4th place before, say in 2010. Back then only the top 3 went directly in the group stages of CL and the 4th place had to play a play-off to go there.

Considering our disastrous performances last season in Europe, I can’t help but think that we wouldn’t be able to get into the group stages of CL with the old rules. So in that case the 4th place would mean nothing in terms of playing in CL. Also, if you’re not even as serious as doing the minimum, passing that damn group stage, then that 4th spot is in vain and it could’ve been properly used by another club who would represent Spain better. I could understand starting from the 3rd pot like with Emery once in 2015-16, but starting in the first 2 pots and not passing the group stage? Not good.

Hopefully we’ll be able to do it this season.

3 Likes

You’ve got to consider he’s most consisten with probably the biggest salary cap and transfer budget that any of these managers has seen.

Would this information deflate the accomplishments of Lope and inflate that of Jiménez and Juan de Ramos, for example? I don’t know. Those two guys had the ‘luck’ to be in charge of Sevilla’s golden (youth) generation, something Lope has not been able to rely on. So I think it’s hard to measure these men given the fact the club made a transition in this period from a freshly promoted club to international trophy hunter.

4 Likes

I still think 3rd place is a bigger achievement than 4th, no matter the consistence, technically speaking - especially considering the CL group stage rules back then.

So in that case Jimenez and Juande Ramos both achieved better results in La Liga than Lopetegui, but regardless of all the circumstances Lope wins in consistency so far - we’re talking about La Liga only. We all know who our European king was… Unai Emery! Then Juande Ramos comes right after him.

Trophy importance and results-wise, Juande Ramos is the best coach we’ve had - although I still rate Emery to be the best we’ve ever had from a fan’s perspective. Juande got us 2 UEFA Cups, 1 UEFA Supercup (the one and only in the club’s history), 1 Copa Del Rey and 1 Spanish Supercup (the one and only in club’s history) + got us in the 3rd place in 2007, a league position that was only equaled by Jimenez in 2009 in the last 20 years.

2 Likes

Consistently not improving with the biggest value players and options given. In the times of Emery, Valencia was a way bigger force than they are now. Lope scraping by the position that he should accomplish team size wise. Unai wins three Europa Leagues consecutively, besides that there’s passion, unrivalled and never to be repeated again.

1 Like

I really miss Emery… a lot!

4 Likes