Opinions on Lopetegui's Sevilla

The most amazing, to me, is that we sacked Manolo Jiménez while we were in 3rd place and qualified for the CDR final.

2 Likes

Technically we were in 5th when he was sacked, and I think 7 games with no wins… Even some lower tier La Liga clubs have sacked managers for less…

2 Likes

Definitely was in the fire camp when that was going down

1 Like

@sterusebn ?

lalinea

1 Like

Where are the new graphs / lines Steve :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes
1 Like

I think his time has expired this time, the natives are restless, especially after forking out extra for their season tickets.

If the management are half as restless as the fans, it’s over.

Never seen so many poop icons as were flying around Whatsapp after the game, and they weren’t referring to Beti.

2 Likes

@ShendM You asked for it. You must be a glutton for punishment!

1 Like

Hey @sterusebn , could you make a graph stimulating what might happen if we don’t get any more points at all this season? What’s the likelihood we get related? That seems to be the sentiment among many of us… This Sevilla couldn’t possibly score any goals, so we’re sorta screwed and should expect 1 point out of every two match days, so let’s say 38/2*1=19 points. How does that graph look if we end the season on 19 points? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

For anyone speaking Spanish, such a great link. The telling of Lopetegui’s downfall at Porto. Such a fascinating list of parallels with his time at Sevilla.

In other words, I don’t think we should expect Lopetegui to change.

6 Likes

Wow… that was a great article. It was almost as reading about Lope’s sacking from Sevilla from the near future… time traveling?

“The team falls asleep with the ball at their feet not knowing what to do with it when it reaches the box” - tell us about it Porto!

I can only imagine the frustration of the fans of a top 2 club in Portugal not winning a single trophy in 2 seasons with this man at charge.

7 Likes

The biggest accusation against the Basque coach is that he created a team obsessed with possession, forgetting nerve and passion

3 Likes

Lope isn’t a bad coach. He’s actually a pretty darn good coach, but he’s reached his ceiling. He brought us a trophy and a lot of stability, but if we want to keep progressing, we need to move on.

Firing him doesn’t invalidate the great things he’s done for us. Hell, he’s largely responsible for making us consistently relevant. It’s also OK that he reached his ceiling. Everyone has a limit. That’s not an indictment, but the club failing to recognize that we’ve reached that limit would be.

6 Likes

Fair assessment. Lope hasn’t been a bad coach for us and has consistently delivered top 4 finishes and got us recognised in Europe and domestically amongst the ‘big 3’.

However, yes I think he’s reached a ceiling in terms of results and performances on the pitch and can’t take us any further. To continue progressing, I think the time has come for a change.

5 Likes

And then unrecognized last two seasons… especially the last one :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As for me, I’ll take another season like last season any day. Yeah, it ended on a whimper, but money came in at the end of the season, we played in Europe and we briefly brought the attention of the world as contenders for Liga glory. And we even got a moral leg up on Betpiss, by not using projectiles to injure anyone on the field in our matches.

No guarantee Lopetegui can deliver that again this season, but if that’s Lopetegui’s ceiling, I’m more than happy to stick at that ceiling for another 5-10 years. Sure, let’s be ambitious, but Rome wasn’t built in a day. An RM and Barcelona weren’t aiming for 4th place 5-10 years ago. It takes decades of European play and financial, footballing and marketing stability to be able to truly be a stable Top 3 club. Those of you who want to can Lopetegui because you’re aiming higher…are delusional. If you just don’t like his style of play, then watch another club for a while, but if you care about growing the club into a Atlético de Madrid or a Manchester United or a AC Milan, you’ve gotta be patient. Also worth noting is that exceedingly few big clubs come from cities as small as Sevilla, so the historical averages are working against us to become a “big” club, for a whole host of reasons. I’m not a Lopetegui sycophant, but I do think this “ceiling” is about the best long term strategy we should expect: Top 4 regulars and a trophy of some sort maybe twice a decade.

Lopetegui has brought home the bacon :bacon:. If you’re a vegetarian and prefer another style of meat (ie. Jogo bonito?), that’s fair enough, but I just don’t buy the argument that we need to somehow dream bigger than what we’ve had for the last 15 years. And yes, I was watching the team when Antoñito was one of our greatest players on the pitch, so maybe it’s easier for me to see that a lot of our fans are in total Icarus mode, wanting to reach the sun :sun_with_face: wearing heat-sensitive wings.

1 Like

Very true. Last season in Europe in both competitions was a disaster.

1 Like

I don’t know man. We’re all somewhat agreeing that Lope is not the one to take us to the next step. If the management wants to continue to mess around and hope that Lope reaches his ‘ceiling’ year after year that’s another thing… but we as fans are surely suffering.

I personally watch other teams from time to time, including my NT, but it still hurts knowing how shit your team plays… it never makes up for it. In fact, it makes you a bit envious when you see clubs like Villarreal cruising or similar. All because of a coach - football is played for the fans at the end of the day, not for Castro or Del Nido or anyone in a higher up position in the club. No fans = no football. So we deserve much better football and higher overall aspirations than a stagnation for years to come.

5 Likes

Oh, thank you Ryan. I’m content to be delusional.

I’m afraid it doesn’t work like that Ryan

Well thanks again for answering the burning question of the week.

@alexanderlouisortiz with the question on Twitter.

3 Likes