Monchi out - Orta In

https://www.football-espana.net/2023/06/06/sevilla-sporting-director-monchi-considering-exit-after-europa-league-victory

Just read this and similar news is being echoed on various Sevilla IG accounts, surely not? But then again this season is draining as ever and hopefully it’s just to take some time off and not leaving permanently.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/AS_Futbol/status/1665950429346164742?t=YoWO-IHUFFqqj0A2wLPPAA&s=19

Lots of rumors. He looked happy, but a bit somber too at the celebration. I know this season was hard for him, but I don’t trust anyone else to get us out of the rut.

3 Likes

Hope he doesn’t go. A lot of mistakes were made this season but responsibility is shared for this.

Monchi has led us to an unprecedented period of success in the last 20 years. He really has been the orchestra for this with his recruitment. Last time he left for Roma, our results dipped I seem to remember.

3 Likes

I remember him asking for some time away from the club before. This job takes a toll on him. I think of all people, we owe him that.

4 Likes

Mental health is key! I just wish he could take September through November off. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please let’s not talk about the Óscar Arias project again. :sweat: The worst thing about that, was that apparently he was was learning off of Monchi before he left for Roma. But bugger knows what he was learning as I’d say about 97% of the signings he brought in were dreadful. :face_vomiting:

Luis Muriel (€24.5m) - Dreadful
Simon Kjær (€12.5m) - Awful
Guillherme Arana (€11m) - Rubbish
Guido Pizzaro (€8.5m) - Trash
Ever Banega (€7m) - Probably the only decent signing he made
Nolito (€7m) - Awful
Sebastien Corchia (€5m) - Dreadful
Johannes Geis (Loan:€2m) - Why?
Lionel Carole (Loan:€350k) - :joy:
Jesus Navas (Free) - Ok one other decent one!
Miguel Layun, Roque Mesa, Sandro Ramirez (Loans) - FFS

Honestly we may have spent a fair bit under Lope chasing the dream, but fuck me the amount of money we wasted in THAT one season with Arias at the wheel… We are talking about €75m wasted on basically trash! That being said we did somehow manage to fleece €50m out of Atlético and Leicester for Vitolo and Iborra.

Even the season after that before Monchi’s return (was Caparros acting in the role by then?), Some of the signings we made…

Ibrahim Amadou
Quincy Promes
Joris Gnagnon
Tomas Vaclik
Alex Vidal
Sergi Gomez
Marko Rog
Max Wöber
Not to mention 5 promotions from Sevilla Atlético

It’s not hard to see why it is so hard to see Monchi want to take time out (or even leave).

2 Likes

This is without even mentioning the second year we paid out €6m to sign Roque Mesa permanent too.

What about Victor Orta? He made some decent signings at Leeds, albeit his time ended with quite the disaster.

Monchi should be given time away after the summer if he needs a break. As @ChrisLail says, mental health is important, especially given the stresses of the last couple of seasons.

3 Likes

For every truly great player Monchi has bought, he’s bought maybe another 3 good, 3 average and 3 poor, but at least he does have the ability to pick out gems like Alves, Baptista, Koundé and Fabiano plus players who have fit in like a glove such as Kanouté, Drago, Maresca, Rakitic, Sarabia, Ben Yedder, Bacca, Gameiro, Fernando, Bono, Diego Carlos.

Without those truly great players we would have a lot less trophies, maybe none this century.

So if Monchi wants time off to recharge batteries I would recommend that Sevilla accomodate his wishes.

4 Likes

But yeah, as Chris mentioned, seems like an odd time of year to take time off, if your primary job is July-August. Let’s give him September through November off. Paid vacation to Roma or something, but I can only imagine that if these rumors are true…something must be a little rocky…

3 Likes

Emery can go to hell. You’re dead to me, Unai.

4 Likes

This would be 100x the steal he made with Krychowiak.

1 Like

According to local press, Monchi has requested to leave.

1 Like

Rumors are saying he wants to join up with Aston Villa and Emery.

1 Like

So not for a rest then? I mean at some point the guy would leave / retire anyway, just hope we find an adequate replacement.

3 Likes

I’m tired of his tantrums talking about leaving every summer. Thankyou Monchi & goodbye.
Víctor Orta being banded about as his replacement.

4 Likes

I tend to agree. If he wants to leave, he should leave. I hope we find someone to replace him that’s successful so that Monchi can’t come crawling back here if he fails at Villa.

2 Likes

I don’t mind Orta I mean look Monchi failed at Roma, so Orta might be great for us. Plus this year he was fucked by their American coach wanting to sign loads of American players so sounds like he didn’t get much say in transfers. If he wants to bring Ilan Meslier from Leeds though I’ll take that.

Lol. I’m only partially offended over here. Uncle Sam, on the other hand. He is PISSED.

uncle sam draft GIF

3 Likes

True though. Coach just seemed to want to bring his own guys in regardless of what they probably needed.

1 Like