Monchi out - Orta In

I understand the annoyance, but it clearly points to a bigger issue which is the front office. A person who loves the club as much as Monchi does and is so successful just doesn’t leave because of the stress of the poor league season. The fact that we haven’t offered him a lifetime contract is a bit of a farce to me. He’s earned that right. He’s earned the right to leave if he wishes too; however, I don’t think that is really what he wants to do.

Could others do his job well? Yes of course. Can others do his job well with the current front office? Very doubtful.

6 Likes

He didn’t want to leave before the Juventus game, in a video made then he laughed at the suggestion and said he is happy and staying. Then again, he only only has to write ‘I’m staying’ in a tweet to put the fans at ease. So it’s a case of mixed messages or something has changed. I’ll be real disappointed if he goes.

4 Likes

To Castro’s point though. If he leaves for another job, why shouldn’t he pay the “transfer clause?” If it is just for a sabbatical, then sure have at it. If it is for another job, I’m sorry, you are now the enemy, pay up.

5 Likes

Yeah I agree @TimSpence2. My thought this morning was is it a power play to regain some of the perceived authority lost to the board?

He seems to have been outmanoeuvred when it came to Lopetegui this season and he didn’t look best pleased in the videos when Sampaoli came in, so I can understand if he’s unhappy with the current power balance.

On the other hand if his head has been swayed by a better paycheck at Villa, he can leave once they pay his release clause. He’d be crazy to swap Sevilla for Birmingham though…

4 Likes

Is Aston Villa really a step up? In wages and transfer budget, I guess. But I have no problem with him leaving, he also deserves credit for this super old selection and terrible start of the season.

Tracing Victor Orta’s transfers makes me unsure of him. But we all know that England is a different breed in comparison to the top 4 leagues in terms of transfers…

I, myself, would like to see Overmars take over. He has proven himself at both Ajax and Antwerp. Knows how to keep a good balance between youth and experience, something Sevilla seems to lack nowadays. Only left (before getting fired) from Ajax because he sent dickpics to a staff member. With the boardroom drama in Seville, a dickpic is a laughable affair and probably zero cause for concern. And he played for Barcelona for four seasons back in the days, so he probably won’t have huge problems adjusting to Spain. And - c’mon - we should be able to attract somebody to leave a Belgian club, right?!

1 Like

Dickuspicus it is.

I was convinced that we were going to be relegated after Mendilibar was appointed, so I’m not in any position to speculate on how well we’ll perform with anyone at the helm :joy:

1 Like

I mean we all saw Monchi aging rates at the start of this year and things got worse and worse, weeks seemed to weigh as years on him. Then he has to be the one, to go up to the fans corner in the stadium and to apologize and ask for trust and support, and promise even in the direst of situations that we will get out of it eventually. A promise that at the moment I thought was just ‘to please the angry audience’ and hope to quiet things down. But having it be solved and end positive in just the remainder of the season, is just more than miraculous and I think its way more than the fans could have hoped for when we were down that bad. I can fully understand that this case and how we got out of it, is not to be seen again and I think Monchi is just glad and lucky that it ended well and wants to leave it like that. In a positive way, because it’s so dear to him. Sometimes leaving is for the best, and Monchi deserves all the best. Who knows maybe later he might come back. But we should just be grateful now and let it go.

7 Likes

Very well said.

2 Likes

Timing kinda sucks, but i get it, and we don’t know 100% what is happening behind the scenes. Perhaps Monchi has higher ambitions for Sevilla, while Castro & co. wants to keep us as a selling club, remain stagnant, and cash in from the latest & greatest Ligue 1 prospects?

Lopetegui promising to keep his mouth shut when he left is one thing. Now Monchi wanting out tells me something stinks.

All i can say for now, thank God, the 3 Kings & our 3 Jesuses for Mendilibar. At least we got that guarantee… right? Or is that joy gonna be short lived as well? :neutral_face:

4 Likes

I don’t think Monchi wanted Mendi, so it probably won’t affect it all that much to be honest.

Hi,

Aston Villa fan here. Congrats on winning your 7th UEFA CUP. Amazing achievement in such a short space of time.

You guys must think very highly of Monchi to name your whole forum off his name.

We recently had Mateu Alemany use our club to gain more leverage at Barcelona. Do you reckon Monchi is just using Aston Villa name to gain more power at Sevilla or do you think he is really leaving?

Do you think Monchi can do a good job at Aston Villa? People always refer to his time at Roma being bad, so I think he got a lot to prove.

2 Likes

I don’t mean this offensively as I’ve always not minded Aston Villa as a club, but not sure using the Villa name as leverage holds much weight, we’re multi time champions of a European Tournament, been regulars in the Champions League for a good few years now, and have won the Copa del Rey and European Super Cup too in the not so distant past.

If I was going to use a club for leverage I imagine I’d use a club with a “higher profile” than Aston Villa these days. That being said, maybe Monchi wants a new challenge and wants to link up with his old partner in crime Unai Emery, whoof course was Manager under Monchi for a few years here.

5 Likes

Our friend @alexanderlouisortiz put together a good thread on Twitter about the run down behind the scenes:

https://twitter.com/alealejandro214/status/1666844731081457664?s=20

3 Likes

Personally I think if was to leave, Villa would be a good move for him, like you said due to working with Emery. Its good that the manager and the sporting director have a great working connection. Maybe Monchi didn’t have this at Rome. Him and Emery will have big power at Villa. The keys to the club.

But i’m sure he will miss the good weather :joy:
Maybe he can work remotely.

2 Likes

Great thread. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t even remember now who the Roma manager was when Monchi was there… :thinking:

It was a good thread. But what happened with Monchi (way back then) was that he signed for Almeria and handed in his notice to Sevilla with end of season effect. Then we beat Shalke04 in the Semi and he said to Del Nido ‘Do you mind if I change my mind and stay’, Del Nido replied ‘Of course not, we want you here’.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/LigActu/status/1639411421355167746?s=20

just look at their faces, no love lost there. lol

2 Likes

I heard that Emery has a lot of power in Villa, may be the most powerful manager in premier league right now. Some also say Villa has 200M budget for transfer.
I’d be surprised if Monchi doesn’t go to Villa.
And Castro must find a good replacement for Monchi or he better step down himself before the fans do anything if Arias & Caparros happens again

1 Like