MD2 - Sevilla FC vs Valladolid [22/23]

I’m just speaking to your point as your comparison to how Villarreal beat them 3-0. Villarreal had three chances and scored three we had many chances and only scored because of a defensive miscommunication.

1 Like

The gates get flooded with critisism, but I have to say, I quite enjoyed this match. Lamela was amazing, if he had a right foot he would be less predictable though. Nianzou played very good for someone that arrived in Seville days ago. Fernando ran so much that it looked like he grew a 3rd lung at that age. Bounou had an epic save again. Seen some nice combinations, sadly, as you guys already said, it’s just too often that they F a pass or shot up in a way that’s not even acceptable on amateur level.

5 Likes

Can’t criticise the defence tonight. Nianzou and Rekik looked good.

A lack of midfield and offensively is the problem. Same issues as last season basically but the luck has run out.

4 Likes

That proves the point though - Villarreal are a serious team so far and we aren’t. Plus it’s not that we had 10 chances… rather 2-3 and not clear-cut ones. The best one was Oliver’s I think. Officially it is 2 shots on goal and one of them is Rekik’s.

Yep… the defense seems sorted with Nianzou there. He still has a lot of time to develop into a superb CB.

Also Rekik should have cemented his place in the starting formation with tonight’s overall effort. I think Marcao will have to sweat a lot in order to get Rekik’s place… I see Marcao as the 3rd choice CB already.

5 Likes

Bro rafa mir had a one on one he missed and he had a few headers he should of scored too. We had more than 3 good chances

We played well first half. It was fun to watch. However, we weren’t as good in the 2nd and I thought Valladolid were comfortable and looked more dangerous. I wasn’t surprised they took the lead when they did.

There are promising signs but ultimately we have change our style of play. We have become more predictable for the opposition and now we aren’t getting those narrow wins we got the last 2 seasons.

We have to evolve and lope needs to do this if he wants to keep his job. As only 2 games in and the football is still mediocre at times and now the results aren’t showing.

Next few games are crucial for lope as we can’t afford to fall to far off the pace and top 4 or he will be under big pressure. I’m hopeful we improve as the new signing settle but it showed today we desperately need a striker and another box to box midfielder.

Mir and YEN just aren’t going to get us even 15 goals it seems. Jordan is past his best and ocampos isn’t the player he was. We missed tecatito tonight and him being out months is a big blow.

On the plus side I thought Oliver and lamela did well. Nianzou had an impressive debut overall. Considering he just came in. I’m sure Isco and telles will adapt more when they get more playing time. We will yet to see marcao but hopefully soon.

We need 2-3 more players and lope needs to evolve his tactics if he wants to stay on and also if we want to stay in contention for top 4 and be competitive in copa del Rey and champions league.

2 Likes

Yes I was very impressed with Nianzou tonight. Obviously not the finished product but he has the potential to be a very high class player. Rekik solid also and Marcao will be under pressure now to get that first team spot.

Honestly though, I’ve been following Sevilla since 2006 and the way we’re playing right now is up there with the worst I’ve seen. It’s not been good for a while now let’s be honest.

4 Likes

How many give aways did Valladolid give us on their own half, and we produced nothing from it. That’s it exactly, free gifts unopenend. A decisive team puts in 4 goals there.

4 Likes

There’s still time for new manager to get his picks of the market before the window closes… :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah in terms of attack we lacking a lot. We scored on 53 goals last season and not many at all in 2nd half of season. The build up is still to slow, predictable and the crossing not good enough.

We still lack real pace and able to counter attack teams at will. It is tough to watch at times. That first half felt like breath of fresh air but it wasn’t scintillating just a bit of an upgrade on the dire football we being enduring for months.

Things have to change though and clearly the home fans weren’t happy. The football needs to improve and the results need to improve. We aren’t getting them lucky 1-0 wins that lope was hanging his hat on last 2 seasons.

4 Likes

Agree with all this. Very fair summary.

Ultimately we need to change our tactics and style of play. Yes we need a box to box midfielder and quality striker, but we could have Benzema up front with these tactics and there would be issues.

2 Likes

@TimSpence2 is there any ultimatum for Lope?

1 Like

That’s a very good point. Sadly the pressure on the coach is growing and growing. These tactics just aren’t getting it done and any top striker would get frustrated playing in this system. It’s just a bit outdated and teams just know how to defend it.

1 Like

I’m afraid so

3 Likes

Hey everyone, if you get a chance, please hit us up on the Google Voice, Anchor or send your thoughts directly to me. If you don’t have my whatsapp or email, shoot me a pm.

If we fail to get at least one win out of the next two games (Almeria and Barca), I reckon Lope’s job could be seriously under threat.

2 Likes

If we don’t win the next game and then lose to Barca Lope would be on the brink of being sacked

7 Likes

Absolutely. We are very slow and predictable with our build up play and every time we get it out wide and too often the cross in the box is very poor. I think Montiel is very average. It’s easy for teams to defend. We need to do something else and clearly don’t have the right players and tactics.

It says it all that last season, we only scored 2 more goals than relegated Levante.

3 Likes

I agree. We have a history of sacking managers if we don’t win any of our first 5-6 games. That could happen here with this mediocre to sometimes dire football on top. The Almeria match is his cup final already. Simply has to win it.

2 Likes