MD1 - Osasuna vs Sevilla FC [22/23]

Squad:

2 Likes

Marcao will not play tomorrow night - confirmed. He hasnā€™t trained with the group today.

3 Likes

Isco wonā€™t play either - but thatā€™s understandable at this point. Hopefully heā€™ll pick up the pace and feature next week.

4 Likes

Osasuna spending a massive 2m this transfermarket, with two of their starters leaving on a free transfer. And then you question how they remain competitive, and if we are allowed to expect a good performance?
I said this before, and will hammer it in again.

In their preseason:
They had some small margin wins against 2nd division teams, Huesca, MirandƩs and Burgos, went on trainings camp in the Netherlands, with a 2-1 loss against Groningen and a 2-1 win over Feyenoord.

Hyped for it all to start again and we better do it on the right foot. Iā€™ll be tuning in tomorrow, Vamoss mi Sevillaa :clap:

3 Likes

Squad here. No Isco or Marcao. Will be interesting to see who the two centre backs are tomorrow night.

5 Likes

I think he will go Rekik and gudelji. As they played together a bit last season and did ok. They should be alright against osaauna.

5 Likes

Yes thatā€™s what I was thinking. Just shows the lack of depth we currently have in the centre back positions.

I think Osasuna might be trickier than some think. Despite spending very little theyā€™ve managed three mid-table positions since being promoted from the Segunda.

A 0-0 draw for us at their place in February. Letā€™s hope for better this time.

1 Like

I would almost be willing to bet that Sevilla goes without scoring a goal this game. Hope theyā€™ll prove me wrong.

2 Likes

0_0 and i will fall asleep midway through the 2nd half.
That is my prediction.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking 0-0 as well. Opening games tend to be cagey and thatā€™s what weā€™re like anyway under Lope! Hope Iā€™m wrong.

2 Likes

Cagey + Lope = Alcatraz!

2 Likes

Hoping for a smash and grab lope style win :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Nah, in all seriousness we need to be more offensive and better to watch. However, itā€™s lope and we missing players so for first game Iā€™d take a scruffy 1-0 win haha.

1 Like

Lope: ā€œThe team are excited and have butterflies in stomach!ā€

The lope cliche phrases are back :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ā€œMarcĆ£o had a problem when he came, and heā€™s still got it. Heā€™s not got the medical all-clear and once he has it heā€™ll start training and look for the all-clear to play. Iā€™m not sure when it will be, but I hope itā€™s sooner rather than later.ā€

Letā€™s hope Marcao is available soon. Looks like heā€™s going to be using Salas and Carmona more. We may see Salas feature tomorrow who knows.

1 Like

This ā€˜Marcao enigmaā€™ is quite weird. If we go by Lopeā€™s statements, it could very well mean that he wonā€™t be ready for at least another month or so - something that is disastrous given the current situation at CB.

It could also mean that Marcao is Guarente vol. 2 (as Tim mentioned), only that weā€™ve spent 14m Euros for Marcao and only 5.5m for Guarente at the time.

These kind of mistakes only happen in panic purchases, and if I remember correctly, Guarenteā€™s was very similar (we needed a CM urgently back then).

Hoping for the best, so letā€™s see what happens.

3 Likes

He expects them to end fifth or something or what? Unreal how he always words his way into a equal projection.

2 Likes

I just knew heā€™d say osasuna is a tough place to go and a tough side to play :grinning:

1 Like

My prediction is 1-1 tie. Goal from Papu. I would love to have my expectations broken though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah but thatā€™s a great signing by them to get Moi Gomez. Also got Ruben Pena for free.

3 Likes

Recent MD1 results have been high-scoring affairs. Sevilla hasnā€™t lost their opening match since 2013-2014 against Atletico Madrid. They have won their last four openers.

Previous seasons matchday 1 results

2021-2022 - Sevilla 3 - Rayo 0
2020-2021 - Cadiz 1 - Sevilla 3
2019-2020 - Sevilla 2 - Espanyol 0
2018-2019 - Rayo - 1 - Sevilla 4
2017-2018 - Sevilla 1 - Espanyol 1
2016-2017 - Sevilla 6 - Espanyol 4
2015-2016 - Malaga 0 - Sevilla 0
2014-2015 - Sevilla 1 - Valencia 1
2013-2014 - Sevilla 1 - Atletico Madrid 3

4 Likes