Matchday 8: Sevilla at Barcelona

I’m thinking it’s because Banega is still sharp so his performances are good. He started last season pretty well before getting fatigued and probably fed up as he was playing till the final whistle every match. It doesn’t help when your partner is a slow af Mudo who gets even more fatigued than you.

Ideally, our best midfield combination is Banega Jordan and Fernando, Banega dallys on the ball and can give it away in dumb places but as long as they don’t give it to him in hazardous positions he should be fine, when on form his killer passes are really second to none, just remember to give free-kick duties to Jordan.

It also highlights we need one more body in the midfield ideally. Torres should be a replacement for Banega in the long run, Gudelj could come in for Fernando but the only substitute for Jordan is Mudo, grabbing one more in the winter window would be crucial before fatigue sets in.

2 Likes

The time to get rid of Lopeteui was last week, with a good base of points (outrageous I know) but inevitable, we now face the prospect of waiting for the inevitable maybe in 6, 8 or 10 weeks time. He’s alienating players, there’s already the basis for a mutiny for his crazy teams and mistreatment of players. Now I read Monchi saying ‘Criticize me if Lopetegui doesn’t play certain players’, well that’s covering for Lope but there’s only so much covering going to be tolerated.

2 Likes

haha really? We are going to can a coach eight games in sitting in sixth with 3 away victories and sitting top of the group in Europa? This while playing 1 extra away match than the other teams and with an 80% turnover in the team?

Sorry pal, but we would be the laughing stock of futbol if that happened this soon. You don’t fire coaches on what ifs, you fire on results and right now the results aren’t terrible.

Well what does it say to prospective Sevilla signings that a Manager/Club can ‘Can’ a player who was a leading European goal scorer, what does it do to his market value? and that the Directors don’t have a word in his ear doesn’t represent the Brand Sevilla too well !

There’s a lot of Sevillistas who think the same as me, and we are all welcome to our opinions.

Lopetegui’s career highlight

Real Madrid … Lopetegui’s first competitive game in charge took place on 15 August 2018, in a 2–4 loss to rivals Atlético Madrid for the UEFA Super Cup after extra time.[33] Following a string of bad results and, ultimately, a 5–1 away defeat to Barcelona in El Clásico on 28 October, he was fired a day later

I’m not surprised that you and a lot others feel this way. It was the same reaction when he was appointed. I forget the %, but at the time one of the papers did a survey and the approval rating was way low.

All I’m asking for is practicality. We were 1 loss to Real Sociedad away from this turning into an ugly situation. Something is obviously not working with De Jong, and the team performance is now suffering because of it. I’m sure (hope) Lope is smart enough to do something about it.

1 Like

Based upon results though, not based upon not playing a player. Look I like Dubbar, but if the coach gets results and doesn’t play him, so be it. He was brought in under different leadership. They should have moved him in the transfer window if they didn’t have a need for him.