Matchday 8: Sevilla at Barcelona

Never have a been more pissed off by a 3-0 scoreline. It’s so not deserved. We were the better team for 30 mins. However, when he persists on playing lukk goal witness de jong, it will end in disappointment. The guy couldn’t score if pitch was netted.

The difference in quality in front of goal separates us. We been a match for them in all areas except where it matters. As usual Barca at full strength and also at their clinical best against us. I swear we have no luck here but at same time Lopetegui is to blame for keep playing de jong.

If he started Chicharito or Munir they would have buried one or 2 of them chances and it would have been a different game.

Very frustrating but you know I think we have a good team. However, Lopetegui’s stubbornness with de jong is holding us back, it’s a big problem and he needs to admit it’s not working or it could cost him his job.

1 Like

However, I agree with ShendM. We are our own worst enemy. We have better players on bench and Lopetegui is holding us back a bit. It’s frustrating as we have the makings of an exciting era here but not playing Jordán and Chicharito tonight is just not acceptable.

Barca would probs be still winning but with our early dominance had he played them we would have took the lead and upset Barca more. We had them on ropes early but could deliver a knockout blow.

1 Like

Lope keeps repeating the same mistakes again and again… probably January is too long!

2 Likes

I agree ShendM. He’s the main problem. He’s been given a great squad and should be doing better! He’s holding us back!

1 Like

Lopetegui is the main problem. He needs to swallow his pride and drop de jong. I’d also drop Vaclik too. He’s been shaky and not commanding for a few games. He’s turning into Rico. We should give Bono a go.

He also needs to bring Jordan back in. I’d play Jordán, fernando and Torres. Give banega a rest. Chicharito, Munir and Ocampos up front. I’d also have Rony lopes and Dabbur at least on bench.

Lopetegui needs to make these changes or if he persists being stubborn, then the team will continue to underachieve and he may lose his job soon. He’s under pressure now and I hope he can answer the bell. We will see what he’s made of. For lukk de jongs sake though, the guy needs to be dropped. His confidence in front of goal is zero right now. He might benefit more becoming an impact player from bench.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking about. He’d probably be a very good bench player, coming in around the 75th-80th minute mark or so, depending on the game and situation. He’s clearly not a striker for a starter role in this team.

2 Likes

:unamused::unamused::unamused:

Yes, I agree exactly. When teams get tired or we want some aerial threat to try win a game late. He could be a useful option then. However, Chicharito, Munir and Dabbur are better strikers as more mobile and better in front of goal. Chicharito for me should definitely start at home vs levante. Maybe play Munir as well.

I didn’t think we played that bad to be honest, could have been 2 or 3 up after 20 minutes, de jong had one good chance but was thwarted by a great save from ter stegen. If that had gone in who knows?
Their second goal was the killer. We stopped twice, once believing the ball had gone out for a throw in and then waiting for vidal to be given off side. After that we were always going to struggle.
I agree with the comments re Vaclik he is not the keeper we saw last season, he looks very indecisive at times.
Worrying stats for Vaclik
8 shots on goal against Barcelona= 4 goals

4 shots on target against Real Madrid =: 1 goal

4 shots on target against Eibar= 3 goals

2 shots on target against Real Sociedad =2 goals

1 shot on goal against Celta=1 goal

2 shots on goal against Espanyol=0 goals

Ah well, we knew we would have to be very lucky to get anything from this game so onwards to Levante and 3 more points to keep us on track.

2 Likes

Finally got to watch this disaster of a match. We played 2 managers who were somewhat under pressure in Zidane & Valverde, and Lopetegui makes them look like geniuses. I recorded my post-match thoughts. Link is below.

BAR 4-0 SEV : Post-Match

2 Likes

Probably time to open up the keeper position. And definitely time to open up the striker position.

Don’t get the Banega criticism. Thought he was excellent today, particularly in the 1st half, and against Sociedad as well.

2 Likes

thats a very good thing that dabbur is outside.
when sevillia managements relise lopetegui bench dabbur on politics reason they will dismiss him.
munas is a very high level player. he need to play in order to be in his best
thats why he will try to move to other club in january . hope you can see him score a lot again.
unfortunately , not in sevillia club.

1 Like

This match once again showed that Lope’s managerial abilities must be questioned. Not also that but also the transfer policy is sloppy at best…

Selling the best two players of the last season and not properly replacing them proves to be a vital mistake. Sarabia had one goal and two assist this week at PSG, Ben Yedder keeps scoring almost at every game…

The team struggles to score even against APOEL. No wonder we could not score at Camp Nou…

1 Like

Couldn’t watch the match but was sort of expecting this and let’s be honest, it was awful.

Lope is really getting on my nerves, it’s like he’s deliberately trying to sabotage the team when playing against the big boys, Madrid was there for the taking and so were Barca in the first 20 minutes but his selections and tactics are like tying a rock to your foot while in a pool. Why didn’t Jordan start the game? Where was Lopes? Why is De Jong still starting while Chicharito plays against minor opposition in the Europa? Time is running out and he would not last till January.

Looking back at the goals, it was either down to individual errors (letting Suarez loose for the first goal, letting Vidal be onside for the second, letting a sub-standard fk by Messi drift in) but simply put we do not have the directness showcased by Barca, Ocampos tries really hard and with someone to help him life would be easier but Nolito started and Lopes is MIA again. The international break is a welcome hiatus and Lope should either rethink his selections or his career plans.

But then again, given our away record against Barca I made a small punt on a 1.5 goal handicap on Barca, so I’m not really complaining.

4 Likes

What’s wrong with Banega? He has been pretty good, he was legendary against La Real.

1 Like

Too slow for me and doesn’t take the defensive duties as serious as before. Besides, it was a fatal mistake to play Oliver Torres and Banega together there, with only Fernando capable of the dirty work. Joan Jordan would’ve been crucial… but it’s Lope…

1 Like

But bro, Ever didn’t get a yellow till like the 88th minute. Last season it would have been in the 1st half. Some improvement at least, no? :smile:

3 Likes

The summer off really helped him I think.

1 Like

Plus, he is wasting too many long range shots and freekicks…

He shouldn’t be taking FKs anymore.

3 Likes