Matchday 4: Sevilla at Alavés [2019-20]

Expecting something like this, just that I’d like to see Sergi Gomez in for Diego Carlos (resting purpose, and to see Sergi play as a CB a bit), also maybe Dabbur in the second half or something.

1 Like

Re-watched the 1st half of this game…

I appreciate Lopetegui playing it safe. I loved how everyone has bought in to the defensive structure of the team. Fernando bossed it, and was a perfect custodian. Almost all Alavés’ passes were getting intercepted, and the ball kept going back into their half. Even De Jong was coming back for us to maintain that defensive shape. The makings of a serious team.

I found it funny that we have 6 wingers in the squad, and only Ocampos featured. The inclusion of Óliver gave us another playmaker, and made sure we kept recycling the ball. He played the Isco role, where he was licensed to roam, and made for some interesting combinations. If only the CF could have fed off just one of these.

A few times, Jordán found himself occupying the spot where Luuk should’ve been. It led to successful triangle plays between him, Óliver & Reguilón, who took full advantage and sprinted into open space. It just never came off for De Jong, as nearly every layoff was just a bit off, or he couldn’t anticipate any teammate’s pass. Almost as if he was just in the way.

I’m not too bothered with Lopetegui’s selections, as he just wants to start off right with something consistent. We can clearly see De Jong is struggling. But then again, he’s a plus for us defensively. Playing it safe. Our attacking players waiting in the wings (no pun intended) should be highly motivated once these chances come. Thank God for European football. The lineup against Qarabag should be very interesting.

2 Likes

The team is showing signs of solid defense, which is much needed if we want to stay at the top of La Liga. However, the number of players writing their names to the score sheet is limited and we must find a solution to this fast.
The UEFA game this week should give us a great opportunity as we can greatly improve our confidence by scoring as many goals as possible.

1 Like

I wonder how much of De Jong’s struggles comes down to the language barrier? Possibly another reason Dabbur hasn’t featured. Neither speak Spanish. How does the team make sure that they understand what the coach is asking of them? I didn’t notice a translator in Dallas; however, many in the team do speak English.

It hasn’t kept De Junk out of the team !

I see that Ocampos is travelling with the squad although he can’t play for suspension, while Dabbur didn’t travel to Espanyol for ‘technical reasons’, and still hasn’t sat on the bench in an official game, what a way to go if you’re trying to alienate a player.

The final insult would be not playing Dabbur or giving him a cameo role in terms of minutes.

I also noted that Rony Lopes played 20 minutes against Celta and was clearly not in ‘match fit’ conditions.

Perhaps a bit harsh to say, but I’d loan Rony Lopes out or sell him come January window. We need a serious winger to compete with Ocampos, he clearly can’t compete and I doubt he’ll do anything worthy in less important matches or when Ocampos is not available.

Time will tell.

1 Like

Damn Shend, already? It’s only September.

2 Likes

How many minutes has the lad played? :joy: Cut throat from Shend early doors!

Before it’s too late :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Either Shend knows something we don’t or he’s a scout for Newcastle United, there are already rumors he has impressed in our training sessions and are already their number one target for January :joy:

But in all seriousness, I was expecting him to start or at least come off the bench for this game, either he has not been match fit since his signing a month ago or Monchi & Lope don’t rate him at all. Neither makes much sense as he didn’t feature for the NT in the league of nations and actually played a game for Monaco before coming over here, and unlike the situation with Dabbur this is a Monchi signing and Lope should have known we were going to sign Lopes and acknowledged or expressed his doubts if he didn’t rate him at all. This is very fishy and I hope Lopes can come off the bench at the very least for Qarabag tomorrow.

2 Likes

Lopetegui said Lopes would need time to familiarize himself with the team. There’s also the notion that he’s better in counterattacking systems, so maybe it’s also an adjustment period for him.