Matchday 11: Sevilla at Valencia [2019-20]

START TIME
Wednesday, October 30th, 2019
1400 EST / 1900 CET / 0500 AEST

Coming off a great result vs Getafe on the weekend, Sevilla bring their winning run to the Mestalla. It is 1 of the 5 grounds in Spain were we have struggled perennially. There is an abhorrent statistic that proves this, but we don’t need any reminding.

Carriço & Gómez still haven’t recovered from their injuries, so Kounde & Carlos will have to deputize at CB. The recent form of Óliver & Vázquez could force a change in the midfield setup. Dabbur has joined the squad in this list of 21, but recent history suggests he’s likely to be among the 3 players omitted.

APPRENTICESHIP
Tonight’s match is being billed as The Teacher vs The Student, as Celades was Lope’s former no.2 with the Spain NT & at Real Madrid. It seems Julen’s pupil has already sparked off the mind games in praising him ahead of the affair.

We are 6 points ahead of Valencia, and a positive result today can consolidate the decent start we’ve had this season. A draw may be on the cards, but…

¡A por La Liga!
#MeLateTuEscudo

3 Likes

Reguilón dropped, and Óliver at LW.

1 Like

I knew something was wrong with Reguilon, probably has a slight injury.
Whatever the 11, we always have a strong bench which is a tribute to the squad depth.
Valencia have 4 forwards out including Gameiro, Cheryshev and Rodrigo, nevertheless, a big test for Sevilla. Vamos.

2 Likes

I’m happy with that side. Nice to see Óliver and escudero start! A tough task but we can do it! Vamos!

1 Like

Here we go again, Valencia making things difficult, Sevilla unable to dominate. Escudero down, subs lining up to replace him. Didn’t look like much of a collision.

Escudero caught an elbow or forearm to the face. I hope it’s not a broken nose.

Gudelj in to replace Escudero. Kounde at LB.

1 Like

It seemed to be just under the chin.
Valencia winger had Escudero with his pants down twice and I can’t see Gudelj bettering Escudero, but maybe the change will help in general.
Why not put Ocampos in the middle and give Chicharito free role, Navas can handle the wing on his own.

Ocampos, the MOAB, 0-1

2 Likes

GOOOOOOOOL OCAMPOS!!! 1-0 Sevilla !!!

2 Likes

Vamos!! That man, Ocampos!!

2 Likes

Valencia were falling to bits there, a pity the ref blew half time. The yellow cards are mounting for Valencia but the ref is a bit bizarre and could turn on Sevilla just as easily.

2 Likes

Ocampos is gradually becoming a phenomenal player here.

We’re playing well, though we could be sharper.

Gudelj is light years behind every midfielder that we have in the team, but as long as he doesn’t make any stupid mistake, it’s alright I guess.

We should be able to hold tight on the 3 points tonight. Extremely important 3 points these!

3 Likes

We started really well, but Valencia grew into the match and it became a tight and intense affair.

Yea, he might get trigger happy in the 2nd half once the Mestalla crowd get in his ear.

I trust our defence, but Valencia has found a few openings already. I just hope we don’t give it away last minute like last year.

2 Likes

A great 1st half. We looked solid and had good possession. We didn’t create a lot but we showed quality for the goal, a nice move and great finish by Ocampos. It would be huge to win here but I won’t get carried away just yet. We been here a few times before like last season. Normally something always goes wrong for us here but it’s a great chance now.

Let’s just hope we learned from the eibar 2nd half horror show. If we remain solid and a threat up front we have a good chance to see this one through. Vamos!

3 Likes

did you really have to mention Eibar second half?

1 Like

Yeah sorry, the less said about it the better!

3 Likes

Vital save from Tomas! He saved us there!

1 Like

We have to be careful here! Got to remain sharp.

1 Like

We’ve got great players all over the pitch but it just doesn’t hang together in my opinion.

2 Likes

Valencia being dirty now! Shocking challenge that!

1 Like