M28: Sevilla v Betis [2019-20]

La Liga is Back Baby!

After a three-month layoff from the 2019-2020 La Liga season, Spaniards and those watching all over the world will get a treat by watching one of the greatest derbies in football. The two teams from Sevilla always come prepared for the derby and while this will be unique without the fans, the same passion should show.

Sevilla’s season finds them in the driver’s seat for a Champions League football finish as they sit in third position; however, Real Sociedad, Getafe, and Atlético Madrid are within 2 points of third place. With matches against Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad and Valencia left Sevilla can ill afford to drop points in this match with their city rivals.

Heading into the match, there are lots of questions and very few answers. With a long three-month delay, only 8 full team training sessions, and very little 11v11 sessions, what will the quality of the football be? Will the players be up for the challenge and how can Julen Lopetegui, the Sevilla manager, manage the health of his aging team?

Sevilla’s fullbacks have contributed to one third of the team’s assists and with only one right back on the roster, the thirty-four-year-old, Jesús Navas, will have to be managed carefully. Could the likes of Javier Pérez or Álex Robles make their first team debut during these last 11 matches?

Continuing on the theme of health, Sevilla finds themselves with the possibility of being without two of their star players, as both Suso (1 goal, 1 assist in 6 games) and Lucas Ocampos (10 goals, 2 assists) have picked up injuries in training. Both will be game time decisions.

Another interesting item to keep an eye on is how will the players whose contracts technically expire at the end of June perform. Both Éver Banega (2 goals, 6 assists) and Nolito (3 goals, 1 assists) have expiring contracts and will be counted on to perform well in the last 11 fixtures.

One thing is for certain, football is back! While it will seem a bit different without the fans singing and cheering, the passion that the city of Sevilla has for this game remains the same.

3 Likes

Lope called up the whole squad for tonight’s match. All 22 players + 6 youth team players. Gudelj will miss out due to suspension.

Also, since 5 substitutes are allowed now, the final squad can include a total of 23 players. Hence, 4 players will be cut from the list above.

2 Likes

Good to see us at full strength. Not sure what to expect tonight. Will be very strange with no fans and resuming league in June during these unprecedented circumstances. I am confident we can chalk up a big win though. It’s massive game for the teams confidence and hopes for top 4 or 3. Vamos Sevilla!

2 Likes

Well, weather is ok here, not that hot and a bit breezy too so shouldn’t be too bad for the players tonight. We just got to get the right mentality and I think we can use a win as a platform for the rest of the season.

3 Likes

The first leg will be aired on BeIn Sports N at 1PM today

STARTING XI !

Ocampos !! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Nice! Also got Munir back in the lineup! If ya’ll remember, De Jong, Nolito and Ocampos tore these guys up in the first match. Hopefully Munir can slot in for Nolito nicely.

2 Likes

Probably one of the strongest line ups we can have. A win tonight would be a massive boost. Go Sevilla!

1 Like

Love Lopo’s reaction at the end of the first match. Hope we see the same today. Vamos!!!

2 Likes

Haha same. I was just watching 30 min recap on BeIN.

Hopefully another big goal from De Jong today.

2 Likes

Five subs from Nine. Guess we might see a few of the outsiders get a run out.

1 Like

He made a statement about being cautious about making too many subs just because you have them. So maybe not. I bet we see En Nesyri, Banega and Gomez to lock it down.

2 Likes

I seen positive reports about Rony Lopes’ fitness, who does look slimmer in some photos. Wouldn’t mind his & En-Nesyri’s pace off the bench.

2 Likes

Be nice to see the lad do something rather than being a complete bust. Especially if the Ocampos rumours pick up a bit more traction.

2 Likes

A fair bit of loose play so far from both teams.

I can’t work out Borja Iglesias for Betis. At Zaragoza and Espanyol he was really impressive, but he has looked nothing short of a cart horse for most of this season.

Don’t know if it is just me, but on TV given the upper body is the main part you see of the players at times it is quite hard to tell which players are for which team due to the white on both shirts. Betis really should have worn their Black Away kit or the Green special shirts they wore against Barcelona earlier this year.

2 Likes

I feel left out now. :sweat_smile:

Come join

1 Like

Haha not tonight mate but thank you.

Must be so weird celebrating when there are no supporters. Soft penalty for me although justifiable why the referee gave it.

2 Likes