M16: Sevilla FC v Villarreal CF [20/21]

I feel like this is how Lopetegui wants to play every game.

2 Likes

Level on points with Sociedad and Villarreal now with 2 games in hand on them. In danger of having Third in our sights.

1 Like

That’s what I think. It doesn’t bother me much while we’re winning, but the Sevillista mindset demands more creativity.

1 Like
1 Like

Caparros was 55% in his 5 years, Juan de Ramos a little less.

2 Likes

Villarreal 56.5% of the possession today.

1 Like

Acuña much better in the second half, gave an impressive exhibition, he actually held off two defenders on the side line going back and forward and worked his way through them like a wizzard.

When Ocampos took out two defenders and they both blocked him with their arms, resulting in foul, I could only think, once again, he’s centre forward material.

The YEN goal, if you watch again, he was level with two defenders (or he would have been offside) and he accelerated ahead before scoring. Left them behind for dead.

We have to play these players in situations that allow their qualities to flourish.

At the moment YEN and Ocampos have no mutual understanding as forwards, it appears that YEN is the one that doesn’t understand Ocampos, some work needed there but with more confidence YEN will sort it out and he’s on that path to become something real special.

7 Likes

Impressive win! Been a while since we beat them at home! It caps off a great year for the club. Yeah despite all the doom and gloom in the world, the one bright part is 2020 has been a great year for sevilla. Vamos sevilla!

6 Likes

Very good result, already 6 points after two games from the 5 game streak. Already similar to what most of us expected after all 5, let’s pray it doesnt stagnate at 6. The Betis derby has to be the next three points and then we are really doing well.

Sadly couldnt watch but had a suspicion we would sneak a win here, predicted a 2-0 and so it turns out nicely haha.

Villarreal’s first loss since 18 games is a hell of a accomplishment and we should be proud of that no matter how. Good to see the table looking more positive now as well.

Good stuff boys, Vamosss

5 Likes

Last season, Betis were the easiest games for Sevila, especialy the 2-0 at home.

3 Likes

Bono is very reliable so far, nice to see a decent goalie in our net.
it’s a real improvement and we no longer concede stupid goals. After all it was a team which suffered a 4 goal defeat in the hands of a below average team like Slavia Prag.

6 Likes

Despite possession we dominated last night. But without Bono we wouldn’t have won that is for sure, that crazy 3 minute spell where Villarreal had 3 easy shots on goal, and almost an OG from Fernando too.

Vaclik in goal probably doesn’t save the Pedraza effort, he definitely doesn’t save the Chukweze one.

4 Likes

Same here, his close control and ability to dribble out / get a foul in tight spaces would be very lethal against the last line of defense, he only needs 1 chance and he’s through on goal. Given the asking price for forwards right now I would like to see Ocampos playing up front for a match or so, Munir or Idrissi can start on the left and Ocampos and drift around the flanks to make it harder for defenses to mark him.

Was also impressed by the YEN goal, he did exactly what I envisioned him to to when he signed - accelerate with his speed and 1.9m height and leave defenders for dead. A shame this isn’t utilized as often as Sevilla have Rakitic and Jordan who have the vision and ability to pass these killer balls. Still some refinement needed with his technique and composure but he’s the top scorer in all competitions with 9 so far, a decent haul given his playing time and tactics which do not play to his strengths.

5 Likes

I think the reason we don’t see more goals like that is because we normally don’t find ourselves in that position that far up the pitch with space to deliver such a delicious pass. Ocampos did the work to win that ball back and found himself with enough space to deliver it. That’s why I don’t like Rakitic (who played well yesterday I thought) and Jordan on the pitch together.

3 Likes

The fingertip save from Chuck-we-ze (hell, I don’t know how to spell it), I can’t say it would have meant defeat but it would definitely have changed the course of the game.

Bono is another Palop, pulls out miracle saves just when you need them.

4 Likes

We dearly miss Banega for those killer passes, he’d do very well even with the current squad (without Reguilon) and we definitely miss Banega much more than Reguilon.

1 Like

Just about 5 times more confident and composed than Palop and doesn’t concede silly goals… hopefully I won’t jinx it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Palop was confident was he not?

He looked confident, but his positioning often didn’t convey that.

2 Likes

As far as I remember Palop wasn’t exactly the tallest keeper. Solid shot stopper but high balls weren’t exactly his forté.

1 Like