La Liga 2023-24 Season Thread

Incredible game at Villarreal! Great entertainment

2 Likes

Isco sprinted! And scored!

1 Like

We didn’t pay attention to the defence during preseason, the writing was on the wall with the goals conceded. Plenty of people here on this forum raised the issue.
(The market was slow, I know)

But the whole thing was in the air with the Marcáo distraction and Sevilla let it go. The point is that apart from Marcáo’s misfortune, we still needed to sort out 4 decent central defenders and I can’t swear to God we have one, and Sevilla have failed miserably up until now. Shameful really.

With just Fernando missing, and that’s increasingly frequent, there’s a gigantic hole in front of defence and we saw yesterday against Girona that Rakitic, in central defence, gifted the ball that was the killer 1-2.

This all leads to one door, that of the President.

And this comes after suffering last season with Rekik and Gudelj as make do centrals :-1:

2 Likes

It definitely hinged on Marcao being fit, but i also believe we expected Nianzou to come back strong. Lo and behold he got injured as well, and crucially, during the important pre-season matches where Mendi had a good idea of who he wanted to keep. So the backup plan also failed. Okay then, 3rd backup plan: Gattoni. Anybody get the feeling this might have been a signing with Sampaoli in mind? The defensive version of Munas Dabbur? :sweat_smile: It might take a bit of time for him, but it’s already his turn at bat.

Bringing in an experienced Lenglet should alleviate some worries, and also some unnecessary pressure on our young defenders.

2 Likes

We couldn’t have really started any worse, the one saving grace is the three teams immediately outside of the bottom three have less than 3 points so in theory one win takes us out of the Zone.

3 Likes

Las Palmas at home on 17 September our best chance of finally getting some points?

Just can’t see us getting anything out of Atletico.

2 Likes

Las Palmas are a decent outfit though. They just came up full of life so won’t be easy.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the same. Dude was captain at 23 for San Lorenzo. I think there is talent there, just needs to settle.

4 Likes

Oh don’t get me wrong, I expect a difficult game but on paper at least, our best chance.

2 Likes

In most countries …

Man kisses woman - socially acceptable
Woman kisses man - socially acceptable
Woman kisses woman - socially acceptable
Man kisses man - still some taboo

Rakitic kisses Carriço - no problem
Man kisses woman footballer - outrage

1 Like

Atleti hit Rayo for 7 in their own backyard.

We play them next :grimacing:

1 Like

I think we already wrote that game off anyway mate! Lol

1 Like

You’ve missed the point. It’s not just about gender/sex, it’s about power dynamics. Sure, I get the point you’re making, and if Carriço had come out in the press saying he was offended by the kiss, not sure it would have had identical treatment to Jenny Hermoso. But how often are men in any society targets of nonconsensual kissing/touching? Women in effectively every country in the world face it occasionally, if not regularly/constantly.

If men started getting accosted regularly in the streets of Madrid, I’ll start calling out the double standard. For now, we need to call out the aggressors. And everything I know about Rubiales and what I’ve seen in the images screams “aggressor”.

7 Likes

exactly right Ryan

3 Likes

Interestingly in the case of the Kudus Transfer, Kudus’ agent starts sexism claims against Romano for not calling her name in the description, not realising she’s a mere background character and the West Ham Director and Kudus are the main ones completely losing track of reality and overestimating herself and trying to put the favourable popular sexism label on it to blame others and get more attention. Worlds lost track of what’s important anyway.

2 Likes

She personally makes an easy few hundred grand from this deal and is concerned about receiving a mention from the Twitter guy. Peak narcessism.

1 Like

Oh dear, let me make this clear Ryan, I didn’t really have a point to get mistaken about. It was just a few observations that may have opened a friendly conversation. I certainly didn’t intend to be provocative and less still to get a virtue signalling moral lecture from you, asshole.

I’m reminded of a WW2 clip where the Russians had destroyed a small German town on their way to Berlin. A lady emerged from the rubble to speak to the cameras and she revealed what had happened, not a word about the death and destruction, the Russians had raped all the women, and worse still, they were all drunk. What she did there was get her opprobriums in the wrong order, maybe because she was traumatised and maybe because opprobriums were in the wrong order in Germany at that time.

The footballer herself seems decent enough and doesn’t deserve to be humilliated by Rubiales but her story has changed twice and her dressing room remark was that she didn’t like the kiss but it didn’t sound too important. The debate now is not the kiss but whether it was consensual.

On the night concerned everyone was kissing everyone and fooling around in the euphoria. In contrast, Rubiales is a real monster 24/7. Get your opprobium in order.

2 Likes

I have to agree with Ryan on this issue. Jenny Hermoso has reflected upon the issue and written a quite powerful statement about the events of the evening. In it she states quite categorically that at the time of the kiss she was in shock, that she felt vulnerable and tried to enjoy the achievement of winning the world cup, hence why her statements were potentially inconsistent. The most important part of her statement is that she states the kiss was not consensual.

Regardless of other wrongdoings on his part, his behaviour on the night was totally unacceptable, unprofessional & unfitting of a representative of the RFEF. He should do the right thing and resign on that night’s events alone.

Also I’m pretty sure that German woman understood that death and destruction are, sadly, a part of war and combat, but rape, not so, despite its sad continuance to this day.

3 Likes

Isco again playing awesome :sob:

Quique Setien has become the first casualty of the season by getting sacked from Villarreal four games into the new season. He’s the first one to sacked not only in la liga, but in all the major leagues as well.

To be honest this season was not going to be easy for him as Villarreal lost Chukwueze and Nicolas Jackson, but they still have quality in their ranks. Villarreal recorded 1 win and 3 losses before his sacking which would make Mendi’s position much more untenable if Sevilla lost against Atletico so the postponement was a blessing in disguise.

For comparision, Lope was also winless in the first four games of last season.

2 Likes