La Liga 2023-24 Season Thread

The calendar was drawn this morning, and I must be honest…the end of the season looks rough. Better put things on good footing before the last 5-6 matches. I guess it’s nothing outside the realm of what we see most seasons, but ending on the likes of Villarreal, Athletic, :poop:, Cádiz (who shouldn’t be so hard if it wasn’t a derbi of sorts) and then last match day v Barcelona. Fortunately Barca is usually finished with their season and giving up points like they’re candy at a parade. But wouldn’t want to rely on those points if we need them for European quals. I won’t mention the other potential reason you would want points at the end of the season, because it clearly can’t be relevant this season.

What do you all think about the calendar? :calendar:

4 Likes

Do you have the full fixture list? I couldn’t find anything past 5 first fixtures.

1 Like

I’m going to be on sabbatical and will probably miss the first game against :poop: :pensive:

1 Like

Full fixture list on the link below.

3 Likes

9/9 points from first three matches or we fire mendilibar.

joking aside, the fairly soft opening three could/should be a good way to launch the season. bagging some points early, getting into a rhythm, building some confidence could all serve us well.

1 Like

:laughing:

2 Likes

Fixtures are not bad to start. Hopefully we can carry on the momentum from end of last season and start well. Vamos Sevilla!

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m finally going to make it to a Sevilla game, looking at Las Palmas September 17th. Am I right in thinking, as it’s champions league the week after, it will only be Fri/Sat/Sunday, not Monday?

Cheers

3 Likes

Yep Friday or Saturday. You can rule out Sunday as well.

2 Likes

Cheers!

1 Like

No idea why the squad is in Jerez, it’s actually illegal that people work outdoors in these temperatures and I can’t see us doing any real training.

2 Likes

My reading from some player interviews last season is the Mendi has very little tolerance for wimpiness in physical training. I wouldn’t be surprised if he chose Jerez on purpose for that reason. Or maybe the club is really just THAT TIGHT on money, and the last minute deals in the frying pan hotels were just too good to pass up.

2 Likes

Regarding Marcáo, that is really nothing much of an injury, Just 7-10 days for nothing more than precaution due to his history, but Sevilla should shut up or the press will be watching every twitch he makes and making a story of it. Jordan has said he played half a season injured.

I’m not sure Pedrosa is fit seeing as he didn’t participate in the opening friendly either (another player with history).

3 Likes

How trustworthy of sites do all of you feel “Orgullo de Nervión” and “Vamos mi Sevilla” are?

I saw two articles that caught my eye. There was one about Ramos. But the one that really called my attention was one about an expansion/reconstruction of RSP. Any thoughts on these?

1 Like

Vamos mi Sevilla”, not at all. They seem to just report everything that mentions Sevilla.

As for Orgullo, outside of most transfer rumours, i find them pretty reliable.

2 Likes

Yeah definitely take the rumours lightly but I still think most are not completely random and are mentioned names or at least circling around the club. Also they post a lot of similar posts.

2 Likes

Gotcha. I was curious, because I knew there have been rumors of stadium renovation/expansion, but with the rumors of debt, I’m not sure that would be happening anytime soon

3 Likes

The stadium thing is definitely on the horizon, but I think most sevillistas at this point are mostly in the camp of “fool me twice”, as these plans have been brewing for many years. I wouldn’t be surprised if Castro popped these rumors back up because of the Board meeting and going to find leverage to show that he’s “on the verge of something big”. I think last time I read a rumor this summer it was construction starting in 2024 or 2025, no? Seems hard to imagine that’s reliable

4 Likes

I think it’s like Y’all alluded to, postering for votes. The stadium deal could be financed outside of the regular day to day assuming they could get a loan and there should be some money from the CVC deal. I still don’t think it happens.

2 Likes

Wow. That wraps a miserable weekend for us with :poop: getting the winner. Sigh :pensive:

2 Likes