La Liga 2022-23 Season Thread

Nice.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Nice to have him back! He adds a lot of pace, skill and also can play in different positions. We missed him for sure.

4 Likes

It will take some time for Tecatito to get back in form, but it’ll be awesome when he does.

5 Likes

Found some clarity here, or at least the facts, which are still unclear in terms of ultimate meaning, but at least starting to have a better sense of what’s in question and why it looks so shady.

Here’s an article explaining the gist, and it ends with a link to El Mundo who seems to be the one uncovering the dirty laundry in this case:

El Mundo: Negreira reclamĂł dinero al Barça por “tantos años de favores y confidencias”

Sadly much of the El Mundo coverage is paywalled, hence my need to share an article from MARCA, who I generally distrust as an extension of the Real Madrid communications/PR/propaganda apparatus.

In any case, I wouldn’t be surprised if Barca gets away with this, but maybe, and this is a big maybe, I think the fact that this is out there means that perhaps they got deep enough into debt with the Mafia that runs this stuff, that they had no choice but let it go public rather than find a way to pay. Seems unlikely, but maybe they knew they wouldn’t really get punished so they figured public shame could be passed off at jealous rivals and would cost less than the million plus in back payments they owed.

3 Likes

And finally, and this is speculative, I’m sort of left wondering whether this wasn’t mostly just a shakedown from Negreira
 In other words, the business relationship had ended but Negreira and pals keep coming back for more money, and at some point Barca gets tired of paying the hush money for services rendered ten or twenty years ago and decided they just need to pull off the band aid
 What do others think?

Anybody with any knowledge of the referee consulting industry or the legal implications?

Anyone have a perfectly innocuous explanation that makes this all look innocent? e.g. totally legit consulting with being misconstrued as corruption?

3 Likes

There is no smoking gun yet but it doesn’t matter, it’s just not done that a club does business with the vice president of the referees, whether there’s proven bribery or not. I think this might end up with Barcelona relegated by FIFA, with la liga sitting on their hands.

What’s more informative is that certain other clubs have remained stum.

It was a shakedown in the end, perhaps Negreira was cashing in without actually doing the business of bribing refs and Barcelona realised after paying €8m over the years, and when they finished their relationship Negreira tried to bribe them. He is a high category bullshitter apparently.

The smoking gun could make an appearance at some stage.

1 Like

Ehem, ehem, Real Madrid
only club with no statement (outside Barca, of course).

Yeah, I like they way you lay it out, Tim. You don’t need a smoking gun to say “WTF, even if there’s no law saying you shouldn’t be paying the head of the referees, any idiot knows that teams shouldn’t be paying the refs, period.”

Hopefully FIFA uses the leverage that LaLiga is not interested in exerting.

2 Likes

Real Madrid probably doing some creative accounting currently.

1 Like

Six weeks from now: “Real Madrid condemns all forms of corruption in football.”(now that we made sure our cover up is solid)

2 Likes

Ho ho the mighty have fallen. :poop: 2-0 down to Elche at half time.

That turned around quick. I am still struggling to understand the rules around hand-ball though. Why wasn’t Elche given the penalty from a quite obvious hand-ball in the penalty area? I think the argument would be that it hit his body first and then his hand. But the same thing then happened when Elche was given a straight red

2 Likes

and then again
and then again!

La Liga refs are ridiculous. That last hand ball was dumb, player’s arm was in natural position and he wasn’t even looking at the ball.

1 Like

Elche three red cards. Bloody hell!

one was to a bench player so really only down to 9.

1 Like

All three of those handballs against Elche were bullshit.

1 Like

Cheating barstewards

1 Like

I couldn’t figure out where the foul happened. That ref was terrible and you could see him favoring :poop:. Carvalho pulled a damn player’s shorts almost off and didn’t receive a card when Elche was attacking late in the second half.

1 Like

Getafe beating Girona 3-1 at the moment. Everyone is beating everyone else and that is the danger for us at the moment. We can’t rely on anyone to do us any favours.

2 Likes

True point. It’s going to be very tight right until the end of the season now.

2 Likes