La Liga 2022-23 Season Thread

But then you won’t get the Saudi oil money. The Saudis are splashing a lot of cash around building a case for hosting the World Cup in 2030. I view this “Cup” as another line in that effort. Having Messi as a spokesperson to help soften their image right after he won…bringing Ronaldo to their biggest club with a ridiculous amount of cash for an old player who is past his prime…All efforts to win over the selection committee.

O and screw Pique.

1 Like

Nope, that’s been going on since 2019-2020. Sevilla actually played in the last actual “traditional” cup in 2018-2019.

2 Likes

I have to say I actually like the 4 team mini tournament Super Cup. They used to do it in Germany for their version way back in the 90s.

2 Likes

Espanyol win! :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

So, haven’t seen the depressing trend lines, but out of curiosity I wanted to know whether the trend line has changed since Sampaoli arrived. By my very Helter skelter numbers, Sampaoli has picked up 10 points out of 10 matches in La Liga. So… marginally better than Lopetegui (who took 5 points out of 7 LaLiga matches) but certainly not the uptick we had hoped for. And more importantly, continues to make the required climb to save relegation harder by the week.

If we continue to consider 40 points our mark to avoid relegation, Sampaoli is now fair close to making that trend. If he sticks with his current 1-point-per-match trend, we’d hit 36 at season’s end. Rolling the dice :game_die::game_die:

However, if he takes one of the next two matches or both of the next two matches, he’s back above water. Granted, above water on a trend which means gambling with ruin, but for those of you who care about trend lines, figured you might find this info interesting.

Steve, I propose you put a scenario dotted line in your graph :chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_downwards_trend: which shows where we’d end if starting today we took a 1.0 ppm trend, 1.1 point trend and a 1.2 point trend. Much above that is just overly sanguine at this point but will show whether it’s getting easier or harder for us to stay up as the season goes on.

2 Likes

Of course the issue Sampaoli has is he has the same players (bar Bade) that Lope had.

The issue seems to be the players rather than the manager at this point.

4 Likes

we’re also just about at the half way mark… multiplying by two easier than assuming a given trend :slight_smile:

but i agree with your broader point/observations Ryan, we should be able to get 1.2 points per game from this team, even just with more ambition and less willingness to exclusively play for draws. easier said than done of course, im probably not the first person two whose had the brilliant insight that a win and a loss ar worth more than two ties.

1 Like

A couple of friendly warnings for Sevilla daubed on the training ground.

2 Likes

Do we really think that was from the Biris? Gol norte might be empty if so :frowning:

2 Likes

A protest against the management of the club has been organised by more than 25 supporters clubs.
This will take place outside the stadium on Saturday before the Cadiz game. I’ll try and get some pics.

6 Likes

A lot of the Biris are socios of the various Peña Sevillista bars around the area. I know the one I am member of in my town has some Biris. Usually they are the younger members. I haven’t heard if any them in my PS are heading to the protest…it wouldn’t surprise me though. Even the gray hair contingent are getting restless.

4 Likes

There has been a lot of talk about Castro being forced out…but this is one of the first articles I have seen mentioning Monchi leaving.

1 Like

Just saw the full list put out and my PS is on it. I will be heading there tonight to watch the Copa del Rey game. I will keep my ears open.

I wasn’t planning on heading to the game Saturday, but I might consider it. My kids normally have their own games Saturday afternoons and evenings, but this weekend theirs are Friday. I might look into some tickets.

2 Likes

How are they adjusting to Spanish football?

2 Likes

Have they stopped trying to Blitz, and run routes? :wink:

That is a story…. International transfer paperwork for FIFA takes time. Our youngest was able to get cleared after 7 weeks. He was below the registration age (10) when he played in Germany and then in Alaska. He is a having fun and is playing in goal. Our first goalie out of the four kids. Watching games with him in goal is a lot more stressful than with all our other sons.

Our other @NayNayAK is still waiting. Though he wants to play in games, he is loving it. He can practice but cannot play in games yet. His team wants him to play. He is getting adjusted to the quick, short passes. It is a different style of play, but it is making him a better player.

With the paperwork, his club here submitted the transfer request to USA Soccer through RFEF. Turns out his prior club in Alaska did not submit the transfer request from the year before when he played in Germany. He is still federated in Germany. The club resubmitted the international transfer request to Germany. Hopefully we will hear soon.

In the meantime I am asking his old club what’s up. They are a Portland Timbers affiliate……not exactly a small club. They should have been able to complete the paperwork. I thought they had done it since they issued a player card. His team won state last year and they went on to play in regionals down in Idaho all with him playing….probably illegally. He also was invited to play for ODP. How all this was missed boggles my mind.

7 Likes

Rub it in a little more why don’t you?

Can you also make sure you eat a paella :shallow_pan_of_food: on the way to the match, drink a cold Cruzcampo while there, take a picture in front of the RSP and buy a leg of Pata Negra jamón serrano on your way home. Go for the royal flush of Sevillano life.

im not crying youre crying GIF

4 Likes

Wow, that’s crazy. Hopefully someone isn’t reading these forums, might put in a protest haha.

Keep us posted. We are pulling for @NayNayAK !

2 Likes

I don’t really know where to put this, but I’m really saddened to hear that Anton Walkes, a third captain for my local team Charlotte FC passed away this morning. Rest in peace

4 Likes

Delaney back in training this week :crossed_fingers:

Dani Alves arrested today. There was some incident in a nightclub on Dec 30th and he returned from Mexico to Spain for a court appearance but he was detained, probably just while charges are made official. I hate these nightclub incidents with gold diggers, if anything had really happened it would probably be all over social media.

3 Likes