La Liga 2022-23 Season Thread

Personally, I rate him. I’ve rated him since he was at Rayo and wanted him over En-Nesyri in January 2020.

I thought we chose wrong after YEN’s incredible second half of the 2020/2021 season but now I suppose my initial thoughts were right after all. I don’t think he’d come in and score 20+ goals, but I do think he would be a great addition to our attack and add another 10-15 goals and would be a great signing.

2 Likes

De Tomas’ release clause is set at €75m, with 20% of a potential sale going to former club Benfica, so I can’t see any offer from us accepted any time soon.

4 Likes

Milenkovic is not even better than Rekik, not worthy imo. He was linked with us before, worst rumor of all.

4 Likes

I saw RDT re-emerge in the speculation. I don’t see much of a player there, he’s got something special but I don’t see enough all round competency.
Bring back Ben Yedder.

7 Likes

Also guys sorry, just realized I posted this in the wrong thread, I woke up after a mere four hours of sleep and was too tired to check which thread I was in

2 Likes

It gets even crazier. They added 150m of their own cash into the transaction. While La Liga said that this is just moving cash around and doesn’t meet their criteria for additional funding, the transaction is something that is 100% legal from a fiscal perspective and happens all the time, but it has tax implications. Barca will need to pay capital gains tax on this because Of where they moved the funding from.

If this is true, Barca made the decision to move funding from long term investment accounts that carry massive tax implications before checking with La Liga and confirming that this would meet their criteria.

2 Likes

Thanks @ChrisLail and @sterusebn for unpacking this a bit, I’ve been too lazy to read into it, and honestly, since it never seems to go anywhere, I usually discount anything I read about finances as wishful thinking. The Athletic is a reputable source, so who knows if “this time will be different” or whether it’s more of the same: Giants break rules, LaLiga looks the other way or just changes the rules to avoid fighting with Giant’s lawyers in court for years

The most interesting part is that La Liga doesn’t seem to be looking the other way!

1 Like

Haven’t seen Marcao in the training ground photos. Is he Gnagnon2 ?
He’s probably put on 5 kilos with all the cerveza and jamon in Sevilla.

2 Likes

I was gonna say that the other day and didn’t want to jinx it. At least he didn’t play in any preseason games to break some legs.

3 Likes

Isco was presented in RSP to rapturous acclaim by the Sevillistas who chanted Isco Isco before a rendition of the Sevilla anthem,. Very impressive, looks like he’s real welcome here in Sevilla.
:heart:

5 Likes

Don’t know where to say this, but Bono was nominated as one of 10 candidates for the Yashin Trophy, awarded to the best goalkeeper in the world

5 Likes

Is that by season or by calendar year?

This one looks to be over. https://www.marca.com/futbol/barcelona/2022/08/12/62f6176eca47417b598b4578.html
Koundé may miss a game or two or three until they give Frenkie de Jong the boot, but looks like Barcelona are still printing money. UEFA needs to figure out how to link football back to clubs who build teams instead of purchasing power. Unlikely, I know. But just so tired of teams using non-football related income to magically pull money out of thin air.

Eh, in this case, they’re just converting future football related income into current income.

Barcelona given 8 minutes of stoppage. No reason for it. No injuries.

4 Likes

Barca held to a goalless draw at home to Rayo.

Well done Rayo!

3 Likes

Right…crazy amount of extra time. Almost bit them in the rear though. Rayo came close to knocking that goal in. We were over here jumping up when it went in only to be let down by the offsides. Barca mafia can eat it.

3 Likes

Yup yet we were given 5 yesterday with much more stoppages

2 Likes

We need to learn a thing or two from Rayo. Last season they did the double vs Barcelona, this season they’ve already held them to a draw away from home.

3 Likes