La Liga 2020 - 2021 Season Thread (Non-Sevilla Chat)

Very rarely for la liga indeed. Thing is if he does move to the premier league he’ll be facing well conditioned speed demons, some mid-table or lower teams such as Burnley, Everton and Wolves field old fashioned strikers but if DC struggled somewhat against Lukaku it’ll probably be terrifying for him to face the likes of Aubameyang, Werner, Rashford and Liverpool’s dreaded trident every other week, and I’m already leaving out the wingers which DC will definitely have to cover if he does make the move.

I’m pretty sure he has played himself off the radar of Liverpool and Manchester City, other interested parties probably won’t be able to offer the required 75m for his release either. Which means there’s a good chance he’s ours :grin:, La Liga is his playground.

4 Likes

Yeah I was thinking the same. He’s a top player for us but his recent shaky performances against pacey strikers might benefit us. It will likely be a turn off for premier league clubs but we will gain from that.

I think we will hang on to both him and kounde for maybe a couple of more years at least. That’s good news.

1 Like

I imagine clubs will think they can coach him though. VvD was raw like DC when he moved to England from Celtic and even when Liverpool signed him from Southampton he wasn’t the complete article.

2 Likes

No surprise anymore but Villareal seem to be way more, concrete in their business. Latests news is that José Callejón is joining them too, Emery capturing some good names. I would have liked Callejón to join us and give us more diverse options in attack. Especially since he’s a free agent. But again it’s not the end of the world we miss him, since he’s 33 already and we prefer to look further ahead. But these names are not bad at all for Villarreal, they are working on a good competitive squad.

5 Likes

If they can get them all playing together. Sometimes buying a load of players just to buy them doesn’t mean they will gel.

2 Likes

Let’s just wait till Monchi gets started. Villarreal always does this type of signing… Albiol, Iborra, Bacca, Moreno, now Callejón.

4 Likes

Villarreal have done some good buisness this year. Alcacer on the cheap at the start of the year. Then the lads from valencia on the cheap again.

If they get going they could be very dangerous and be up there with us fighting for champions league places.

I’m definitely interested to see how us and the other clubs do buisness over the next few weeks. Definitely intrigued by valencia and the massive overhaul.

4 Likes

I’d still take Bacca as a spark off the bench and Iborra straight up, both are still quality players who can turn the match on its head. Not a lot of noise from RSP lately, hopefully Monchi is working his ass off.

2 Likes

Fixtures were released today. Sevilla kicks off at Atletico on 09-12-2020 (12-09-2020 Europe) followed by Elche at home before the Supercopa with Bayern. Complete fixtures are here:

3 Likes

Interesting we get to face Barca early. That’s a good thing as they are in a right mess currently.

2 Likes

Looks like our first match will actually be an Andalucia derbi against Cadiz week 3 and the first two matches will be postponed to give us the extra rest.

6 Likes

Yeah that’s right. Not a bad thing that. Atlético away would have been a tough one to start with. This gives us more time to get our new players in and also get them gelled in with the squad.

4 Likes

Valladolid’s record signing… only €4M? Levels…

SEVILLA: Exclusive interview with Sevilla club president Jose Castro - ‘Why can we not dream of winning La Liga?’ Castro claims Sevilla have ‘no limits’ ahead of the 2020-21 season, stating they have one of the best sides in the club’s history, with Julen Lopetegui hailed as an experienced leader.

Why not indeed!?

3 Likes

I love the ambition. I honestly think it’s possible. If we get in a top striker, get the left backs we need and maybe another CB and RB then we good to go. With Barca in crisis, Atlético not as good as they were a few seasons ago and Real Madrid not as good as the Ronaldo days why not?

I’d love us to do it. As we always seen as the enemy in Spain and in Europe. We never ever get the respect we deserve and always underrated. I remember the hate we used to get when we had del nido as president. To be fair to del nido like Castro he was very ambitious too and wanted us to achieve the top prizes.

It’s gonna be an exciting season and hopefully we get the fans back soon as the Sanchez pijzuan could be bouncing next season.

4 Likes

My take is that both Del Nido and Castro are ambitious, Del Nido more ambitious and Pepe Castro more prudent. Castro will keep the books healthy.

Del Nido is involved with share trading for support and might eventually get control back, also, he might not. But what is inevitable, is that eventually, Sevilla will be bought up, it’s just a question of when.

Generally, it’s when the club underperforms for a year (or two) and it’s easier to persuade die-hard fans to part with their shares. So while Sevilla are successful there seems to be little chance, so just keep winning.

As for Real Madrid being better with the Galacticos, very true, but those were the years when Sevilla game them hell. I remember watching them in the 4-3 and as the game started it was Beckham long ball to Roberto Carlos, inside to Figo back to Guti forward to Ronaldo to Zidane to Raul, and I thought ‘Oh Shit !!!, we are stuffed’ but we turned it round.

3 Likes

Both Valencia and Villareal (surprise surprise) are after De Sciglio as well. Considering we need coverage for both wing back positions, he would suit great on one hand. But also I’m down for somebody fresh, but it has to be a multi positional defender imo. Otherwise it will be expensive if we wanna double fill both positions with quality.

2 Likes

Yes it would be interesting to see whether del nido gets the reigns back or not in future. As Castro was Vice President to him before he took control back in late 2013. Probably not after everything that happened and del nido being jailed but he could certainly be involved in club to some capacity to help out or to support us. As after all he was the man in initially in charge who first took us to a new high level and where we first tasted European glory in so long in 2006. The Sevilla fans will always be grateful for that.

We definitely need a top striker. Someone who can guarantee us close to 20 goals like Ben Yedder, Kanoute, Fabiano and Bacca type players did. There has been rumours of inaki Williams but not sure how true they are. That should be the main target along with sorting the full backs position. We are a bit short at right back too as we need cover for Navas. I don’t think Corchia is good enough or not convinced he has the passion to play for Sevilla. We look to be getting Acuna which is good. We still not sure on Reguilon or escudero situations but if both leave we will need another Lb too. We will see.

Another centre back maybe needed with the Carlos rumours but whether he stays or not we need 1 more centre in my view.

If we strengthen them areas then I genuinely think we have a shot at the league and competing very well in all competitions.

3 Likes

I see Betis have signed Claudio Bravo, but are already looking to replace him next season with Rui Silva apparently. :rofl:

I thought Pellegrini and the new director of football going there might see some improvement, but if anything from the players I have seen signing and going out, they are still doing the same crap transfers. :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I see coward Messi might stay at Barca after all. Barca and Messi are both a joke. They literally both scared to move on! Pathetic club and pathetic from Messi.

2 Likes