La Liga 2020 - 2021 Season Thread (Non-Sevilla Chat)

Cadiz = 6 points from RM and FCB.

Sevilla = 1 point from RM and FCB.

:unamused::man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Too much decent, nobody excepcional. Depth in a squad is good but if the quality is flat then where is the difference.

Especially when having too many can complicate players roles within the team, where if you don’t have them, it’s clearer and at least players know what they get. Not all can adapt to all the things lope wants as quick as we would like I think.
We said this at the start some positions are overloaded and some really lacking cover. Look at the midfield. And now we are seeing that exact downside. Lower stability in midfield and our weakness thin key positions are getting exploited. It had potential in theory but the reality is just different and that hurts a bit.

Still some players still have potential for sure so, I guess we have some more to wait which is though, since we are competing heavily and it’s not flowing so there seems to be no time.

For now I will just chill and slowly see if individuals improve. Nesyri in general has been showing up more then I expected for example with some of his finishing and positioning lately. I’m happy with that.

4 Likes

We signed Óscar Rodriguez and brought Carlos Fernandez back from Loan, both players play in the middle of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 yet we play 4-3-3. Go figure. :man_shrugging:t2:

Arguably that is probably also Oliver Torres best position. The trouble is Lope has Fernando, Gudelj, Jordan, Rakitic and Mudo, and he cannot fit 5 of them into 2 positions so he goes with 3 instead.

25 players basically fit as so…

Keepers:
Bono
Vaclik

Right Backs:
J. Navas
A. Vidal

Right CBs:
Kounde
S. Gomez

Left CBs:
D. Carlos
Rekik
Gnagnon

Left Backs:
Acuña
Escudero

Right D/CM:
Fernando
Jordan

Left D/CM:
Rakitic
Gudelj
Mudo

Right Wing:
Suso
Ocampos

Attacking CM / Second Striker:
Oscar
Carlos Fdez
Oliver

Left Wing:
Munir
Idrissi

Strikers:
de Jong
En-Nesyri

We have a real conundrum next Summer though. We need a few players in various positions, and selling Kounde will probably allow us to by 3 players. But the problem is we then have to replace Kounde too, and let’s face it, take Jules out and our defence is :nauseated_face:.

1 Like

The only time I was in Spain was in Barcelona and it was quite cool, but I saw this pic somewhere, is Granada this picturesque?

1 Like

I’ve never been to Granada but it is where the Sierra Nevada is I think which is a huge mountain range.

2 Likes

Yes that is Granada with the Alhambra palace in the background. If you are lucky enough to be there a sunset the snow turns pink, Beautiful sight.
During the spring you can spend the morning skiing up in the mountains, then come down into town and have the afternoon sunbathing by the pool.

4 Likes

Yep I finally got to go this time last November:

3 Likes

And free tapas with a beer at most bars!

4 Likes

Food isn’t as good as Sevilla imo though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve only had proper tapas once. I went over with my sisters fella at the time John just after my Mum died so my Dad and sisters were sorting funeral stuff etc and I think just wanted me out of the way for a few days, and Nicki and John had flown over in a rush.

So I was basically in Spain for about 5 days, when everyone was having their Xmas parties. Was a little surreal 18th December, wandering around in La Linea in a t shirt I must say. But one of the days I was a little worse for wear after a day of drinking (I was 18 at the time), so we went to a little tapas place, really nice, very moreish I seem to remember.

4 Likes

It is Granada, somewhat exaggerated by a long lense, that’s not what the human eye sees because it’s a portrait vertical cut .It woudn’t appear so stunning, if you were actually on that street.

As opposed to a landscape version, the mountains appear further back …

4 Likes

Tapas, originally were when you ordered a beer, instead of throwing the metal top away they would place a small morsel, maybe an olive in the beer top, gratis.

Gradually it became the smallest ration you could order of any food on the menu. It’s still common to get them free in Granada province, Jaen and some parts of Malaga and Almeria.

Some bars only serve them at the bar and don’t serve them at the table if you’re seated or outside. So basically it’s now basically €3 for a tapa, €6 for a media ration and €10 for a full ration at a bar or venta.

True restaurants don’t serve tapas. Some tourist hotels do but the tapas they serve are basic, just olives or chochos. Chochos is the spanish word for ‘fanny’ which makes me laugh but in Andalucia the Almatruces are known as Chochos

Chochos

3 Likes

It seems that tapas are the equivalent of ‘Meze’ in my region. They definitely go well with alcohol and many restaurants here offer them in the menu.

2 Likes

On our trip back to the UK this year we stopped off at Merida for the night and a look around the Roman ruins.
The bar we settled in for the evening kept bringing out small free tapas with every round of drinks. Unlike here in Sevilla province where we are used to getting small plates of olives or chochos these consisted of small bits of curly fatty meat with a couple of chips thrown on, quite tasty but very chewy. I had no idea what we were being served so asked the barman, he said “orejas de cerdo” (fried pigs ears!) We then started to feed them to our dog and just ate the chips

4 Likes

Ha ha, I had pigs ear up north in Lugo, and I ordered it knowing what it was. But you’re right it’s inedible, and that’s animal cruelty against the dog !

2 Likes

Whilst on Spanish food etc… It makes me chuckle how the Spanish pronounce Maize (corn here in the UK).

Maaaaaaaaaaaieeeeeeze! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

We were going to stop in there last November on the way from Madrid down, but it was getting late so we stopped at Medellin instead.

I actual found free tapas in Madrid a few years ago. Totally random bar I used to stop in and watch the Sevilla Barcelona game where Varas saved Messi’s penalty. They were great tapas too - Shrimp, Ensaladia, some sort of meat thing. It was great.

This past trip to Sevilla, we were taken to this bar in Triana that gave you a plate of small shrimp for each round of drinks. It was awesome. I think it was Triana, it was on that side of the river anyway.

1 Like

I really want to go to Merida at some point, absolutely stunning Roman City.

2 Likes

We will definitely go back for a couple of days, our visit was in late July and the temp was over 40c so we didn’t get to see too much.

2 Likes

haha walk a few - drink cruzcampo - walk a few - drink cruzcampo

Life in Andalucia in the summer.

1 Like