International Break - October 4-12, 2021

Why would the rule of offside explicitly state the attackers position behind the defense at the moment of the pass leaving the foot. When now the position doesn’t matter anymore, what matters is what happens inbetween the pass and arriving at the attacker. It’s just mindblowing.

Can someone send these tactics to Lope? If these are the new rules we might aswell take full advantage of it…

3 Likes

Exactly, defender just needs to deliberately try to block the shot and, if it’s an deliberately attempt we can’t be offside. Round of applause for the Uefa.

Brilliant LOL

You do see occasions where the linesman keeps the flag down so he doesn’t have to slow the game down if the offside resolves itself in favour of the defender.

But in that game, if the defender had got the ball, the linesman would have had the option of 1) flag the offside anyway 2) let play continue 3) flag offside if Mbappe tried to re-combine in the move. That’s too many options.

Only thing the linesman has to do, is flag offside. The linesman should not be of influence on the flow of play. This is up to the referee.
The cases you see, where the flag stays down is pure due to, insecurity of the linesman. In that situation. If they are unsure, the rule states to not raise the flag. And that’s when it’s up to the var. It’s not because they decide to resolve the play (they just didn’t have the clear decision on it). That’s a misconception and not up to the linesman.

Or they wait, for the ball to be received, and then raise. That’s true. But it’s not a decision.

I don’t think you have quite undstood what I was saying

For example if the pass goes straight out for a goalkick, why blow offside?

I also see a lot of examples where the linesman doesn’t raise the flag because the offside player knows he’s offside and doesn’t pursue the ball, but if he decides to take a chance and run for the ball, the flag goes straight up.

1 Like

You don’t have to blow the offside, but the linesman should make the indication by raising his flag. To show the ref it would have been offside. And then the ref blows for the goalkick, because the offside was irrelevant enough.

1 Like

Yes, that would be best. They should stick to one method and not invoke so many options.

Yeah that’s bad communication I would say. But I do think certain ref plus linesman couples have different communication. Also they are in direct voice coms so he could have just said something.

1 Like

Looking at Denmark’s goal and Delaney’s perfect run to set it up for Maehle - it leads me to believe that he is being suffocated with defensive duties in our system or else he would’ve performed much better. Why not even try him as a CM who advances and not only as a DM?

Lope needs to allow the players to move more and advance with the ball, especially in midfield.

4 Likes

Our national team in these days is a fluid machine with a very clear style of football where everyone has a perfectly clear and determined role and, more importantly, everyone knows their specific role. I wrote a post about the work of Hareide and now Hjulmand as managers for the national team in the Lopetegui-discussion a few weeks ago. I am in absolutely no doubt that Delaney is playing well on the national team due to the work of Hareide and Hjulmand.

He knows what he is doing and what he has to do, he is feeling comfortable in the teams’ style and he trusts his teammates. I agree that this is a clear example of how players can perform like night and day depending on the team they are playing in. Lope and Delaney hasn’t quite found each other yet, but Delaney definitely has the potentiel to be a number 1 if Lope is willing.

4 Likes

Your NT is the role model for any non-superstar NT that wants to succeed nowadays. You described it to the point, and yes - Delaney needs to gradually cement himself in the midfield.

1 Like