GOLD CUP 2021 and SUMMER OLYMPICS 2020

There’s two more NT football tournaments coming up, the Gold Cup and Summer Olympics football tournament (U23 with 3 allowed over-aged players).

I’m aiming to catch some of the knockout stage matches of the Gold Cup, while it will be much easier to follow the Olympics in Japan due to the time zone (I’m CET so it’s 7 hours behind Japan time).

In the Gold Cup I’ll be rooting for: USA, Mexico and Qatar (the invited NT). I can see Canada and Costa Rica causing some upset too.

While in the Summer Olympics football tournament I’m rooting for Spain, Brazil and Japan.

Who are your favorites?

4 Likes

I’ll be pulling for the good old US of A in the Gold Cup, but I’ve got my eye in Canada as well. I’m a big Minnesota United FC supporter, and one of our goalkeepers is on the Canadian roster.

In the Olympics, I’ll be cheering for the USWNT on the women’s side, and Spain for the men.

3 Likes

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Ivory Coast has composed a decent list, with names such as: Max Gradel, Franck Kessie and Eric Bailly (over-aged players), but also the talented youngster Amad Diallo of Man Utd (19 years old).

2 Likes

Qatar vs. El Salvador

Mexico vs. Honduras

Costa Rica vs. Canada

USA vs. Jamaica

These are the quarter finals of the Gold Cup. I’m watching all the goals through the official Concacaf Youtube channel, they’re quite fast: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqn7r-so0mBLaJTtTms9dAQ

The Summer Olympics football tournament (men) will start tomorrow.

3 Likes

Euro 2020 has taken the shine off these ‘forgotten’ tournaments, but it’s getting a little bit exciting now.

Gold Cup 2021 semis:

Qatar vs. USA

Mexico vs. Canada

SO 2020 men’s football tournament quarter finals:

Spain vs. Ivory Coast

Japan vs. New Zealand

Brazil vs. Egypt

South Korea vs. Mexico

I’m really excited for Qatar/USA tomorrow night. The US rarely gets to play competitive matches against non-CONCACAF nations. It’ll be a nice change of pace.

3 Likes

Sorry @Edinho!

:mexico: v :us: Sunday!

2 Likes

They made it to the SF. Good enough.

2 Likes

Imagine my shock at a Mexico vs USA Final. :rofl:

3 Likes

Could have, probably should have won it last night.

1 Like

Semifinals of the Summer olympics football tournament:

Mexico vs. Brazil

Japan vs. Spain

2 Likes

USA vs. Canada

Australia vs. Sweden

Women’s tournament

2 Likes

How the Dutch threw that game was quite something. That Lieke Martens penalty was horrendous.

2 Likes

The US beat Mexico 1-0 in the gold cup final after a goal in the 117th minute

3 Likes

Congrats to the USA and the Monchismen US family! :tada: :tada: :tada: :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

4 Likes

What a crazy match. A bit hard to watch because of all the fouls the ref called, but it was still exciting and a great way to win over our rivals!

2 Likes

Sweden vs. Canada (@Edinho :tada:) is the final of Women’s football tournament at the Olympics. It will take place on 6th of August.

Australia vs. USA for the bronze medal one day earlier.

2 Likes

I watched the 2nd half of USA vs Canada. I didn’t think they were gonna make it. The US brought on the big guns for the last 30 min, and you felt a goal was coming. Then after a nice hustle play from one of the Canadian players, we got a VAR check. Scored the pen, then suffered towards victory Lopetegui style. :grin:

Besides, these women got incredibly screwed vs the US back in 2012 – ref called for a FK inside the box [what?] – so i guess it’s a bit of justice here.

5 Likes

Congrats @Edinho ! Go win it all!

4 Likes