GOLD CUP 2021 and SUMMER OLYMPICS 2020

Spain will face Brazil in the men’s football tournament at the Olympics (August 7), while Japan and Mexico will fight for the bronze medal one day earlier.

1 Like

Bryan Gil is gone so we rooting for DC, Alves & the boys :brazil: right?

4 Likes

I’m definitely rooting for Brazil in this one

3 Likes

Man it’s a tough one, but I have to go with our boy DC!

3 Likes

USA women’s NT gets the bronze medal by beating Australia 3:4 in the third place match today.

2 Likes

Ugh, the time zones suck. Obviously we’ll never have an Olympic Games that’s convenient for the entire world, but is it too much to ask for a broadcasting partner that’s not NBC here in the states? It’s disappointing that they gloss over everything in their prime time spots, and they don’t really focus on much outside of gymnastics, swimming, and track & field.

2 Likes

Youtube TV has been an excellent option for the Olympics. You can pick your sport/s that you wish to follow and it will record all the matches.

1 Like

Canada women’s NT wins the gold after beating Sweden on penalties. Congrats @Edinho :tada: :fireworks:

Mexico wins the bronze medal vs. Japan after beating them 3-1.

Tomorrow Brazil will face Spain for the gold in men’s football tournament.

4 Likes

I saw :poop:’ boy is in a boot.

1 Like

Brazil wins the gold medal by beating Spain 2-1 after ET in the Olympics men’s football tournament.

Happy for our boy DC!

Also this goes to show that the ‘geniuses’ like Luis Enrique and De La Fuente had it wrong all time long. You simply cannot win a tournament like Euros or even the Olympics nowadays without experience, and that means having a couple or a few veterans in the squad.

Luis Enrique refused to call up Spain NT icons such as Ramos, Navas and more - failed. Alba and Busquets were obviously not enough, especially as they were out of form. De La Fuente tried to act clever by calling up only Merino, Asensio and Ceballos (only max 1 year older than the age limit) and failed to win it.

Brazil played it safer and called up a superb seasoned veteran like Dani Alves, the veteran Santos (Goalkeeper) and our excellent center back, who has been one of the key figures in winning the EL, Diego Carlos.

Italy won it because of their amazing defense, composed of nothing less than 2 CB’s at 34 and 37 years of age.

Lope on the other hand is quite the opposite. He favors veterans by 90% leaving little room for talent development and youth. I’d say a proper mix is the key to big things in football.

2 Likes

I see that Brazil beat Spain 2-1. For some reason NBC didn’t want to show the game live, so sadly I didn’t get to watch it

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, Brazil looked way more seasoned. Some more aggressiveness to, they seemed to want it more. Bryan Gil hit the crossbar on a good attempt. Congrats to our man Diego Carlos, enjoy your short vacation, season is around the corner :slight_smile:

1 Like

He reportedly expressed interest to play as early as in our first match vs. Rayo at home. I’d say it’s still a little early and he needs a break for the first couple of games, but let’s see.

1 Like

With that being said, Spain NT did very well both in the Euros and the Olympics, reaching the semis and the final respectively, which isn’t an easy feat.

While they didn’t win the trophies, the positive side could be that they are building a solid foundation for the future, similar to France. I still believe experience is needed to win the major trophies and we will see that come WC 2022 - but it’s interesting to note that many players who featured for Spain in the Euros also played a crucial part for Spain in the Olympics less than a month after. Players like Pedri, Oyarzabal, Olmo, Pau Torres, Eric Garcia and Unai Simon.

World Cup 2022 will surely be very exciting!

2 Likes